So sick of this whole covid thing and holiday bookings. We were on such a cusp for a Madrid / Salamanca trip that things are awkward. Easyjet agreed to free switch of flights to next may which we thought easier than trying to get a refund. Properties we`d booked were only available on a non-cancellation basis at time of booking way back at the end of last year and thought not to be a problem. I`ve managed to get one switched to next year but it seemingly costs more to stay in may than June / July. Another only agreed to issue a voucher with a warning property will cost more but they are closed for a month. The third are totally refusing to talk to me ! Add to that that the balance is due for a September Madeira trip with Portugal just having been ruled out of the air bridge arrangements and I`m thinking how much will I lose? My insurance company are saying that they will not cover losses due to Covid and virtually no companies are. Buck passing. I`m happy to re-arrange dates throughout to help keep businesses in trade but wouldn`t mind a bit more cooperation back!
It's throwing my summer too. I switched photography for ballroom dancing and was going on a dancing weekend in Bournemouth this month; the hotel kindly switched the whole package to the same dates next year. Only the deposit was paid.
I had booked a cruise just before the Government decided it was better for us oldies not to cruise for the time being, so I cancelled. P&O is holding my deposit for a next cruise.
I was going on a week's holiday in Slovenia (dancing again) at the end of August, and am convinced the holiday will be cancelled, but the tour company is not very forthcoming, and has not been in touch at all. I asked them months ago, if there were any plans to try and re-arrange this trip for next year. They were not keen, hiding behind contractual obligations, but I am sure a deal could have been struck with the hotel and airline.
As the balance was due on June 12, I cancelled and lost my deposit, which now became a 'cancellation charge.' For me a price worth paying for peace of mind, as I simply dare not risk flying at this time. I think the tour company could have done more and am not impressed.
And of course my annual trip to the Motherland at this time of year cannot go ahead. In this case only the regular hotel was booked, so no problems there.