weekly competition CHAT t...POLL - MushroomsWeekly competition ENTRY ...POLL - AccommodationOne to one tuitionWhat did you do with your...Weekly competition ENTRY ...Weekly competition CHAT t...Weekly Comp Entry thread ...POLL - Weekly Comp. DECAYWeekly Competition Chat t...Field Trip?IOTW submisiionsWhat annoyed you today?Macro photography and col...Weekly Competition - ENTR...

Author Topic: What annoyed you today?  (Read 415042 times)

Offline spinner

Re: What annoyed you today?
« Reply #3525 on: May 29, 2016, 03:14:54 AM »
Having spent a large part of the week sorting and fettling stuff for our annual car boot jaunt, it was rather disheartening this morning to set up our pitch in torrential rain and 14C. The rain did not stop and eventually soaked and without anything sold (no-one came, unsurprisingly) we had to give up and reload the car. Still at least the electricity is back on: that was off for half of yesterday after a lightning strike on a local substation.

It's still peeing down now.

Had a similar experience, but from the other side. Drive up to my nation's Capital (5 hr. drive if you obey the limit) , the beautiful Ottawa for the annual Tulip Festival, and it peed down the whole weekend. Got to the display area where the vendors set up only to find them all tearing down their displays because of heavy rain and I guess, no customers.
And more, much more than this, I did it my way
Ol' blue eyes

http://ddsdigita4.wix.com/ddsdigital
https://www.flickr.com/photos/spin498/

Offline jinky

« Reply #3526 on: June 02, 2016, 07:08:12 PM »
Not so much today as over my recent trip to the US. Now I was never as keen on the US trip as my fellow travellers and had to be persuaded to go at a time when the dollar was at it`s strongest against the pound. Certainly the most expensive holiday I`ve done given it was a 3 week driving holiday from San Francisco to San Diego down the Big Sur and then across the Mojave desert to Las Vegas, Grand Canyon and Yosemite. Great holiday with some lovely memories but:
: the usual car hire rip off attempts which the travel company is now sorting and assuring me we won`t lose out fiancially on despite the company trying to get an extra $450 out of us
: Thanks to BA for cancelling our Heathrow to Leeds Bradford return flight with an hours notice meanign we had to fly to Manchester and fork out £158 for a taxi home with them to hopefully meet  extraexpenses
: In the US land of opportunity someone in Death Valley too the opportunity to clone my credit card and buy £1300 worth of goods at JC Pennys. Again card blocked after warning texts and investigation started that wil hopefully see me reimbursed before payment is due but certainly clouds the holiday. Never mind - when I look at / edit the images I`m sure i`ll remember the good times and I did get to visit Ansel Adams` gallery in Yosemite and buy a few postcards.

Offline Hinfrance

• Global Moderator
  • Cake is good
    • Hinfrance
« Reply #3527 on: June 03, 2016, 08:33:52 AM »
Bit of a curate's egg there Paul. Good luck with sorting it all out quickly.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

Offline jinky

« Reply #3528 on: June 03, 2016, 10:05:45 PM »
Thanks H - well I`ve had the debits taken off my credit card within 24 hours for the fraudulent cloning so that`s a good result from Santander :)

Offline ABERS

• Black and White Images by Alan Abercrombie
« Reply #3529 on: June 04, 2016, 01:18:21 PM »
Not annoyed but very, very sad at the passing of the GREATEST. My favourite quote of his, "If I'd  had been a garbage man, I'd  have been the best garbage man in the world". I've  always quoted that to my kids and grandkids to hopefully to point out that you should always try.  A great example

Offline anglefire

• Canon Biggamist. Four bodies and some lenses. :)
  • Canon Owner and Proud of it :)
    • Mark Colston Photography
« Reply #3530 on: June 04, 2016, 01:51:57 PM »
I didn't know he changed his name twice, albeit the one only briefly.

I also can't say I was aware that he refused to go to Vietnam. Probably just a bit too young. Can't say that too often these days.

But a great boxer and ambassador for the sport and people in general.
----------------------------------
Mark
* A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odourless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Offline Reinardina

• Still trying to master photography.
« Reply #3531 on: June 04, 2016, 04:18:08 PM »
The King of the Ring.

I was never into boxing, but him, I did know, and I loved his short, witty verse.

Beauty is bought by judgment of the eye.
Shakespeare. (Love's Labours Lost.)

Offline jinky

« Reply #3532 on: June 04, 2016, 10:37:47 PM »
I didn't know he changed his name twice, albeit the one only briefly.

I also can't say I was aware that he refused to go to Vietnam. Probably just a bit too young. Can't say that too often these days.

But a great boxer and ambassador for the sport and people in general.

It was good to see him getting some credit for his work on black equality as the day went on as well as for his boxing. I remember being impressed at his stance on Vietnam and the Americans  threatening him  with jail and losing much of his popularity there over that period. He came to Brixton to support black people fighting for equal rights there too and I remember meeting a photographer who same to Leeds with some great shots of that visit. A great champion in lots of different ways.

Offline spinner

« Reply #3533 on: June 07, 2016, 02:34:00 PM »
Apple, the computer firm.  Apple, as is their want, decided not to support or program any of their new OSs to work on older 32 bit machines. I have a Mac Pro 1,1 that is such a machine. Some enterprising fellows decided they would write programs that would let people like me, run the newer OS on my machine. Afterall, it's a quad core behemoth with 8 gigs of RAM and still quite good at processing media.

So why am I annoyed? It wasn't enough that Apple wouldn't support the older machines, they are actively thwarting this independent endevour.
Knowing that an update to my software would brick the system I've chosen to ignore them. UNTIL this last update which let me ignore it a couple of times and then on the 3rd go round installed itself without my agreement. Now I have a bricked Mac Pro. I've been trying, without success to revive it and nothing's worked so far. VERY VERY ANNOYED.

P.S.

APPLE,  if you didn't want people using your machines for years and years, you shouldn't have made them a)extremely expensive and b)very well made.
Ol' blue eyes

Offline Hinfrance

• Global Moderator
  • Cake is good
    • Hinfrance
« Reply #3534 on: June 07, 2016, 04:11:11 PM »
I have always hated Apple's attitude - the walled garden approach is a complete deal breaker for me, even if DAWs would run as fast on Macs as they do on PCs. This is not the first time they have deliberately bricked their products, and no doubt it will not be the last. A few weeks ago they bricked iPhones that had had 3rd party repairs - and given how often the screens used to break on the earlier models, that was a lot of hardware. A class action suit got them to backtrack, but  . .

Despicable company, even more evil than Google, however unlikely that may seem . .
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

Offline spinner

« Reply #3535 on: June 07, 2016, 10:29:39 PM »
Howard, I think they're about on par.

That said, 3 days of fiddling, it's up and running again. Cross fingers I don't get caught in another automatic upgrade.
Good thing I'm retired or I'd have been at it for 3 weeks.  :-[
Ol' blue eyes

Offline DigiDiva

« Reply #3536 on: June 07, 2016, 11:12:18 PM »
Today I was really annoyed at the rise in petrol prices again!
Please visit my website @ www.sunderlandwallart.com

Offline Hinfrance

• Global Moderator
  • Cake is good
    • Hinfrance
« Reply #3537 on: June 08, 2016, 11:21:26 AM »
#firstworldproblems: my strimmer won't keep running, and when it stops it refuses to start again unless it is left for 20 minutes to reflect on its bad behaviour. I've had about 3 minutes run time from it in the last hour. And I've been bitten by a deer fly too . . .
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr

Offline Beaux Reflets

• Global Moderator
  • Commonsense answers a whole load of the unanswered
    • Beaux Reflets
« Reply #3538 on: June 08, 2016, 01:46:54 PM »
#firstworldproblems: my strimmer won't keep running, and when it stops it refuses to start again unless it is left for 20 minutes to reflect on its bad behaviour. I've had about 3 minutes run time from it in the last hour. And I've been bitten by a deer fly too . . .

Check the fuel filter in the tank is not all jellied up. Replacing the one on my Echo strimmer cured similar symptoms a couple of years ago.

Too flippin hot for gardening here until the evenings  :tup:

Offline Reinardina

• Still trying to master photography.
« Reply #3539 on: June 10, 2016, 06:00:55 PM »
What annoys me?
Loud people in quiet surroundings.

Beauty is bought by judgment of the eye.
Shakespeare. (Love's Labours Lost.)

latest Posts

Subject Board Views/Replies Member Date & Time
xx weekly competition CHAT thread. MUSHROOMS 13th Aug to 20th Aug International Weekly Comp Entries 316/11 jinky Last post Today at 06:57:54 AM
xx POLL - Mushrooms International Weekly Comp Entries 39/0 Jediboy Last post August 22, 2017, 12:07:49 PM
xx Weekly competition ENTRY thread MUSHROOMS 13th Aug to 20th Aug International Weekly Comp Entries 232/6 Oldboy Last post August 21, 2017, 08:22:43 PM
xx POLL - Accommodation International Weekly Comp Entries 315/10 Hinfrance Last post August 21, 2017, 07:22:58 AM
xx One to one tuition General Discussion 96/1 Jediboy Last post August 21, 2017, 12:12:12 AM
xx What did you do with your camera today? General Discussion 1464/32 Jediboy Last post August 21, 2017, 12:10:34 AM
xx Weekly competition ENTRY thread. ROOTS. 20th August-27th August 2017 International Weekly Comp Entries 38/0 kerry holt Last post August 20, 2017, 10:51:06 PM
xx Weekly competition CHAT thread. ROOTS. 20th August-27th August International Weekly Comp Entries 41/0 kerry holt Last post August 20, 2017, 10:46:42 PM