What annoyed you today?What made you feel good t...POLL - Something good, We...SOMETHING GOOD - Weekly C...SOMETHING GOOD - Weekly C...HOME AND GARDEN - Weekly ...HOME AND GARDEN - Weekly ...Poll - Stuck at HomeJoke of the day ENTRIES Stuck at Home 17...CHAT -Stuck at Home 17-22...LIQUID- POLLLIQUID - Chat thread week...LIQUID - Entry thread - w...Tool Time PollPhoto show at the Nec - p...

Author Topic: Lightroom 3  (Read 9790 times)

Offline Forseti

Lightroom 3
« on: October 22, 2009, 09:29:59 AM »
Lightroom 3 has now been released as a beta version expiring in April next year. As good an indication as any of when we can expect the final release. There has been some useful improvements as well as additions, and for Flickr users a direct export to your account option. Useful is the ability to add comments etc from within Lightroom as well as have received comments added to your images in the Library.

More info here  http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/lightroom3/ which also includes links to 3 short(?) each of approx 16 mins and presented by Julianne Kost illustrating these improvements/additions. Video No2 I think it is that details the Flickr functionality.

Canon 7D,  Canon SX1 IS, EF100 f/2.8 USM Macro, EF70-200 f/4 L IS USM, EF17-40 f/4 L USM, Sigma 50mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM, Canon Speedlite 580EX MkII

"Everyone can take a great picture with digital, the knack is to take two" - David Bailey

Offline Oly Paul

• CC Regular visitor
Re: Lightroom 3
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2009, 09:34:58 AM »
Not that impressed Forseti as ACDseePro in there last release allowed direct uploading to Flickr ,Zenfolio and Facebook without using plugins so i tend to use that over LR for that kind of thing  ;)
« Last Edit: October 22, 2009, 09:42:49 AM by Oly Paul »
Regards Paul
One day I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am.

http://www.pbase.com/paulsilkphotography

picsfor

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2009, 11:14:32 AM »
having a play - haven't noticed anything drastic on the surface at the moment.
Flickr thing may be nice - just need a chance to play. Busy working on IOTW at the moment...

Gotta get my priorities right  :)

picsfor

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2009, 03:23:14 PM »
OK, after having had a play with it - 2 things really come to note and i'm wondering if any one else who has tested it has had any similar experiences.

Firstly, it is bringing my Mac almost to a stand still. It's like being on an underpowered Windows computer.
Open up, view the cataogue, shut down, import pictures - you name it - it's embarassingly slow.
Back to Lightroom 2 (.5) and all is whizzing along just nicely.

Both versions have access to the same 12000 pictures and the same system resources so why the enormous drain on system resources?

Second, on a positive note, i'm noting that images are displayed with a fraction more detail. I was going to say 'not a large difference' but the fact that i can see a difference and in general the difference is pleasant must mean it is a significant enough difference. Where i'm really finding the difference is on my badger shots taken with the 30D last year at night. I recall reading about this but it was put more down to something for the pixel peepers, but on this experience it is more than pixel peeping.

Now for the new file management side. Boy is it cluttered. I know it is beneficial having Flickr etc and NAS drives available but why make it so messy. Also, is there a simple way to 'tidy it up'.
I'm a stickler for only wanting what i need showing - not bucket loads of stuff just because some one else might find it useful.
If it had an option to upload to Photobox or Loxley direct with an inclusion of colour settings and profiles to get accurate screen to print rendition i would consider that a worth while addition to have - but to my mind that sort of thing should be located under the print section and FLickr located under the web section - not the Library tab..

Well there you go - that's my two penneth worth - now to pass it onto Adobe! 

Offline Jonathan

• PeopleByRyan
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2009, 06:32:11 PM »
Haven't even got round to d/ling LR 3 yet.  But Betas are sometimes a lot slower than "finished" code.  Developers leave debug tell tales in.  It's also a nice surprise when the paid for release arrives (and may prevent people from just cracking the beta).

Did you check where the bottle neck is?  Processor, ram, HD?

Do make sure you mention your thoughts to Adobe though.  I did that once and ended up testing some specific improvements for them.
It's Guest's round

picsfor

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2009, 07:27:53 PM »
Thanks for the pointers. From what i can glean it was the processor. 1 Tb H/D with almost 800gb now free. 4gb ram and according to the stats only 1.39gb was ever used by LR3. So that leaves just the dual core 3.06ghz processor...

It certainly 'felt' like a processor bottle neck.

I certainly wouldn't recommend loosing it on anything business critical though. I'm still using LR2.5 for the daily grind and getting to enjoy using it as i become more familiar with its intricacies. Been on to the forums and several of the minor issues have already been reported and awaiting responses including my system grinding to a halt. Also menitons the other crime -thumbnails taking ages to 'sharpen up' from the initial pixelated state. Thank heavens i have organised in sub folders. 12k images in one folder would have left me going out for the day whilst it made the iamges viewable...

I can see it will have features that will appeal to people but at this moment i see nothing worth upgrading for.

Offline Forseti

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2009, 09:23:41 PM »
Been on to the forums and several of the minor issues have already been reported and awaiting responses including my system grinding to a halt.

Hope this isn't a daft question, but you did post on the LR 3 forum didn't you and not the more general LR forum?
http://forums.adobe.com/community/labs/lightroom3/
Canon 7D,  Canon SX1 IS, EF100 f/2.8 USM Macro, EF70-200 f/4 L IS USM, EF17-40 f/4 L USM, Sigma 50mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM, Canon Speedlite 580EX MkII

"Everyone can take a great picture with digital, the knack is to take two" - David Bailey

picsfor

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2009, 04:15:25 AM »
yes thanks. Thankfully your original link pointed me to it.

I am still drafting my feedback issues and need to check if i need to list each one as a single issue or just list them on mass.
Quite a lot of reading to do at the moment before i commit 'pen to paper'

picsfor

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2009, 04:18:48 PM »
OK, as a further update.

Been doing some further testing and leaving feedback.
Interesting to note that i got an almost instant response from Victoria Bampton - which is as good an authority as you would want to see involved in LR beta testing.

System is not hanging today and thumbnails are sharpening up quicker.
Have tried the Flickr feature (which allows you to upload direct to Flickr) an have experienced one or two issues with it. This may well be user error but i will have to play further.
UI for catalogues is IMHO still messy and i've read of many complaints about the import dialogue box that say similar. Having only used it once i can't really comment.
A few other minor but useful features have been discovered though not tested and in general images still 'look better' when viewd in LR3 Beta than when viewed in LR 2.5

Glad we've got until some time next year to check this out before having to decide whether to hand over any money!

Offline Forseti

« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2009, 04:53:07 PM »

Victoria Bampton ......... as good an authority as you would want to see involved in LR beta testing.

And along with Victoria I'd also rate Julieanne Kost very highly. Have you watched her 3 introductory videos to LR3? http://tv.adobe.com/product/lightroom

picsfor

« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2009, 06:29:02 PM »
having watched the video clips -  i would have to agree.

Plenty more to go and play with again!

Offline Graham

« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2009, 05:48:13 AM »

Glad we've got until some time next year to check this out before having to decide whether to hand over any money!

I'm afraid all this Beta testing malarky is a bit beyond me, but your saying you do all this testing for them and they they don't then give you a copy? :o
                                    Graham. :)
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. 

My Gallery
My Flickr Pics

Offline Hinfrance

• Global Moderator
  • Cake is good
    • Hinfrance
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2009, 06:24:40 AM »
It's all part of the caring nature of Adobe and the unbending and continuing support they provide to their customers. As long as they keep on paying.

I beta test for a small UK company (and from time to time a one man band Russian one) and the smallest reward offered is free software at the end of it.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

picsfor

« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2009, 07:21:21 AM »
but your saying you do all this testing for them and they they don't then give you a copy? :o

In simple - yes.

But in reality you are getting a chance to try something out for quite a while and see if it is worth the upgrade price.
You are also getting an awful lot of 'free training' on the product.
Finally you get a chance to influence policy on what the final product release will actually be like.

Examples of influencing policy are the "Publish Flickr' feature and the new 'import dialogue box' UI. Both have been heavily slated according to the feedback threads. A working alternate solution for the 'Publish to Flickr' exists and is being recommended and the 'import dialogue box' UI seems to be suffering from 'don't change it if it ain't broke' syndrome.

'Free training' comes in the form of videos showing and explaining what all the new features are. By watching those and then going to play you will get a better understanding of the package than any book will give. By then engaging in the feedback discussions you will get further tips etc. This brings me to the final point.

Will i pay for the upgrade? Only if the new features offer something that really makes a difference to the finished product (the published photo), saves me time in my processing or allow me greater options to process an image how i want. The 'free training' will increase my understanding of the product and learn how to maximise its usefulness and in turn improve my workflow efficiency. Then the upgrade will become more desirable because the product will 'appear' more suitable to my needs then the current version.

Should i get a free copy of the product for my efforts? It would be nice but i'm realistic enough to know that such an offer would almost destroy any hopes Adobe had of making money from this product. I'm sure those involved in the 'closed' beta testing will get a free copy, plus the chance to create their training videos and books to accompany its' release with Adobes blessing. But then that's how they make their living!

Offline Forseti

« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2009, 09:45:23 AM »
but your saying you do all this testing for them and they they don't then give you a copy? :o

Will i pay for the upgrade? Only if the new features offer something that really makes a difference to the finished product (the published photo), saves me time in my processing or allow me greater options to process an image how i want.

I agree with your reasoning to a point. The problem (well not really a problem but you know what I mean) is that being a DAM application it sort of induces you to a commitment. You painstakingly append keywords, edits and goodness knows what, which are all saved to the database. Everything goes fine - you settle into a workflow and after much trial and error have finally got control over your images and know exactly how best to find any particular one. Your also happy with the current version and also the camera(s) that you have. Now here comes the crunch - at some point in the future you upgrade your camera to the latest and greatest only to discover that the current version of any DAM application (plus others i.e. ACR) doesn't support your new purchase.  So in a way your saying that you will only pay for the upgrade if the new features offer something that really makes a difference to the finished product is only part of the story. What really makes a difference is whether the application supports your future camera purchase so in this respect a lot of the choice is taken out of our hands and we are obliged to upgrade.

latest Posts

Subject Board Views/Replies Member Date & Time
xx What annoyed you today? General Discussion 591356/3920 jinky Last post Today at 07:43:40 PM
xx What made you feel good today General Discussion 570279/3895 Oldboy Last post Today at 10:38:32 AM
xx POLL - Something good, Weekly Competition International Weekly Comp Entries 71/0 Jediboy Last post March 31, 2020, 01:52:43 PM
xx SOMETHING GOOD - Weekly Comp CHAT thread International Weekly Comp Entries 356/13 Hinfrance Last post March 30, 2020, 09:12:04 AM
xx SOMETHING GOOD - Weekly Comp ENTRY thread International Weekly Comp Entries 149/5 Hinfrance Last post March 30, 2020, 09:08:37 AM
xx HOME AND GARDEN - Weekly Comp ENTRY THREAD International Weekly Comp Entries 22/0 Jediboy Last post March 29, 2020, 02:22:41 PM
xx HOME AND GARDEN - Weekly Comp CHAT THREAD International Weekly Comp Entries 64/0 Jediboy Last post March 29, 2020, 02:21:27 PM
xx Poll - Stuck at Home International Weekly Comp Entries 201/3 Jediboy Last post March 29, 2020, 02:16:30 PM