POLL - Home and GardenHOME AND GARDEN - Weekly ...HOME AND GARDEN - Weekly ...FOOD PHOTOGRAPHY CHAT - 5...POLL - Something good, We...FOOD PHOTOGRAPHY ENTRIES ...What annoyed you today?What made you feel good t...SOMETHING GOOD - Weekly C...SOMETHING GOOD - Weekly C...Poll - Stuck at HomeJoke of the day ENTRIES Stuck at Home 17...CHAT -Stuck at Home 17-22...LIQUID- POLLLIQUID - Chat thread week...

Author Topic: Lightroom 3  (Read 9807 times)

picsfor

Re: Lightroom 3
« Reply #60 on: June 16, 2010, 09:05:41 PM »
interesting how the same program can install itself to 2 different computers with 2 different set ups.

If you hadn't pointed that out i wouldn't have known. I've always had the option to use the reset to return the image to its natural raw state as imported - but then i suppose that's not really accurate.
All my images are converted to .dng files when imported leaving the original raw file on the EHD's. Maybe that's my difference!

Offline Hinfrance

• Global Moderator
  • Cake is good
    • Hinfrance
« Reply #61 on: June 17, 2010, 06:26:54 AM »
Could be Andrew. I'm still using Flashpipe for importing, and I don't convert the original RAWs (although the Pentaxes will save to uncompressed DNGs, I still use the proprietary RAW format - I had noticed subtle differences).

However, this may all be moot as the new version of Bibble 5 was released today with Perfectly Clear built in - it was this that was the icing on the cake of Bibble 4. I know from my limited fiddlings already that LR3 cannot get close to Bibble for processing speed, so this might be a done deal for the Texas boys ;)
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

picsfor

« Reply #62 on: June 17, 2010, 07:15:34 AM »
and when i gave Bibble 5 a go - i couldn't get on with it.

Some lovely stuff in that package, but other aspects that just plain annoyed me. I suspect though that you'll probably enjoy it.
If it does the job - that's the main thing...

Offline Hinfrance

• Global Moderator
  • Cake is good
    • Hinfrance
« Reply #63 on: June 17, 2010, 03:50:23 PM »
Horses for courses as they say.

Knowing me I'll probably prevaricate to such an extent that I end up sticking with DXO, even though processing a big batch means going away to read a book for a while :)
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

Offline Hinfrance

• Global Moderator
  • Cake is good
    • Hinfrance
« Reply #64 on: June 21, 2010, 06:34:06 AM »
Still playing with LR3.

Overall pretty impressive, but still has some (user ignorance related) nasty glitches, like no filter for file type, and the slide show function is probably the most useless I've ever come across - great for export, but rubbish for just reviewing images on the screen. I bet there's another way of running automatically through the pictures in sequence on screen, but Adobe will have called it something completely obscure.

Anyway, my reason for posting is to ask a question. I watched the training vid about publishing to Flickr, and set my account up. Now I cannot find any way of actually publishing anything to Flickr. There is no 'publish' command, no 'export to Flickr' command, and opening the publishing service just opens the dialogue to edit parameters.

I'm guessing that one of you guys will know how this is supposed to work?

Every time I see that strap line about LR being intuitive I fall about laughing . .  :legit:
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr

Offline Oly Paul

• CC Regular visitor
« Reply #65 on: June 21, 2010, 06:35:44 AM »
Horses for courses as they say.

Knowing me I'll probably prevaricate to such an extent that I end up sticking with DXO, even though processing a big batch means going away to read a book for a while :)

You should try Capture One 5 if you want to see real speed in processing raw files. ;)
Regards Paul
One day I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am.

http://www.pbase.com/paulsilkphotography

Offline Jonathan

• PeopleByRyan
« Reply #66 on: June 21, 2010, 11:35:32 AM »
>> I'm guessing that one of you guys will know how this is supposed to work?

Once you have set up Flickr Export, just drag the picture you want to publish to the Flickr Badge under export services.  It works like a collection.  Once a pic is in there you can click publish.

It will copy keywords to Flickr Tags and IPTC Title and Caption to Flickr Title and Caption (or at least that's the way I have it set up).

If you later edit the picture it will show a status of "need republish" or something.  Then you can update Flick when you are ready.
It's Guest's round

Offline Hinfrance

• Global Moderator
  • Cake is good
    • Hinfrance
« Reply #67 on: June 21, 2010, 12:51:24 PM »
Cheers Jonathan - no way of doing it with menu commands - cunning ;)

Now, what about an impromptu slide show?
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr

Offline Jonathan

• PeopleByRyan
« Reply #68 on: June 21, 2010, 03:30:38 PM »
Cheers Jonathan - no way of doing it with menu commands - cunning ;)

Not as far as I know.

One cunning trick though is you can set a Smart collection within a publish service.  So you could, for example, create one that contains all images keyworded with "Flickr" (or marked green, or 5 stars or whatever including clever combinations).  Then on any picture you can add the keyword or whatever and it will automatically be ready for publishing.

It's easy to imagine how you could use this to automatically update a website with your best shots from the last 30 days.

Now, what about an impromptu slide show?

What do you mean?  Select the pictures you want, jump in the slideshow module, choose a template and click play.  Impromptu enough?
It's Guest's round

Offline Hinfrance

• Global Moderator
  • Cake is good
    • Hinfrance
« Reply #69 on: June 21, 2010, 06:28:26 PM »
Ah Jonathan, the benefits of a faster machine. Lucky man.

Like the publishing trick.

On mine in LR it is select a folder of say 300 images, my last ski holiday, click slideshow. Wait 20 seconds for the window to appear, select play, and then wait and wait and wait while LR builds the slide previews. On the holiday folder I lost patience after more than five minutes and only 80 previews prepared. So that would take at a tough guess 18 minutes before the slideshow was ready to roll. Hardly impromptu.

So I start Picasa, navigate to the folder I want to slideshow and press play - less than 15 seconds.

I've pretty much decided that although LR isn't perfect (what is?) it's looking like the best product out there - certainly the most comprehensive. And I have my DXO for when I need it (the NR is superb in 6)- although it won't talk to LR3 yet.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr

Offline Jonathan

• PeopleByRyan
« Reply #70 on: June 22, 2010, 07:55:21 AM »
So I start Picasa, navigate to the folder I want to slideshow and press play - less than 15 seconds.

Yeah 18 minutes is kind of a long time.  You could uncheck "prepare slides in advance" (last option on the right) but this may slow the show down when it runs.  From your figures I'm guessing LR is rendering from a raw file or at least a jpeg with adjustments and has to calculate everything on the fly.  Picassa works from finished files or at worst extracts the embedded jpeg from the raws.  If that's true then 15 seconds is actually pretty long.

I jus tried rendering a slideshow from 350 or so raws (Nikon + Hasselblad) all with adjustments on them. Firt 65 took 1 minute to render then I got bored.  Then I tried it with jpegs I'd generated from them previously.  It was too fast to time.  Certainly less than 2 seconds.
It's Guest's round

Offline Hinfrance

• Global Moderator
  • Cake is good
    • Hinfrance
« Reply #71 on: June 22, 2010, 09:26:51 AM »
I see Jonathan, I'll try with the prepare in advance switched off and see what happens. I am also cognisant of the fact that your much newer and much more powerful machine, unburdened by Vista, will run an order of magnitude faster than my virtual antique.

The 15 second time for Picasa includes starting the application and navigating to the folder. The slide show is instant, so it's a reasonable option. I'm guessing it runs that from the previews it builds on 'import', although, of course, it doesn't actually import anything.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr

latest Posts

Subject Board Views/Replies Member Date & Time
xx POLL - Home and Garden International Weekly Comp Entries 71/0 Jediboy Last post April 07, 2020, 11:06:27 AM
xx HOME AND GARDEN - Weekly Comp CHAT THREAD International Weekly Comp Entries 177/4 anglefire Last post April 07, 2020, 07:46:19 AM
xx HOME AND GARDEN - Weekly Comp ENTRY THREAD International Weekly Comp Entries 167/4 anglefire Last post April 07, 2020, 07:45:17 AM
xx FOOD PHOTOGRAPHY CHAT - 5th-12th April 2020 International Weekly Comp Entries 107/4 Jediboy Last post April 06, 2020, 04:14:53 PM
xx POLL - Something good, Weekly Competition International Weekly Comp Entries 224/5 Jediboy Last post April 05, 2020, 11:46:39 PM
xx FOOD PHOTOGRAPHY ENTRIES 5th-12th April 2020 International Weekly Comp Entries 68/0 jinky Last post April 05, 2020, 10:28:18 AM
xx What annoyed you today? General Discussion 594263/3924 Oldboy Last post April 02, 2020, 06:25:36 PM
xx What made you feel good today General Discussion 571692/3895 Oldboy Last post April 01, 2020, 10:38:32 AM