POLL - AccommodationOne to one tuitionWhat did you do with your...Weekly competition ENTRY ...Weekly competition CHAT t...weekly competition CHAT t...Weekly competition ENTRY ...Weekly Comp Entry thread ...POLL - Weekly Comp. DECAYWeekly Competition Chat t...Field Trip?IOTW submisiionsWhat annoyed you today?Macro photography and col...Weekly Competition - ENTR...Weekly Comp CHAT thread -...

Author Topic: What made you feel good today  (Read 401995 times)

Offline Oldboy

Re: What made you feel good today
« Reply #3510 on: July 04, 2015, 09:17:37 AM »
Yesterday actually.

RETIRED... :beer: :beer: :) :)

You mean you went to bed!  :P

Now the fun begins - enjoy.  :tup:

Offline Hinfrance

• Global Moderator
  • Cake is good
    • Hinfrance
« Reply #3511 on: August 24, 2015, 11:23:34 AM »
Rummaging about in the study yesterday I came across my old mini DV video camera. After charging it up I found it still worked perfectly and that the tape in it was recorded by my daughter when she was so much smaller. I decided to transfer he video to my PC. Then major snag - the camera connects by mini DV or USB, but there was no way I could get the USB drivers to work - they were last updated by Panasonic in 2003. The video worked, but there was no audio. The only mini DV lead I have is to firewire, and I didn't have a firewire card in my PC.

As luck would have it though my hoarding instinct came to the rescue and a further rummage in a study cupboard led to the discovery of an ancient PCI firewire card. I still had a PCI slot spare in the PC, so I bunged it in. Windows automatically found the drivers, installed them (including one for the camera - amazing) and now I am up an running. Of course, that's the thing about Windows - it just works!

Result :tup:
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

Offline Reinardina

• Still trying to master photography.
« Reply #3512 on: August 24, 2015, 12:35:47 PM »
New kitchen finished!
Now 'only' flooring and blinds to sort out.

Beauty is bought by judgment of the eye.
Shakespeare. (Love's Labours Lost.)

Offline Reinardina

« Reply #3513 on: September 02, 2015, 01:16:42 PM »
Have some problems with the cistern of my closed coupled toilet suite.

To find out, if it is something 'a competent person' (not me!) can fix, or whether it needs a plumber/installer, I contacted the customer service via the 'Ideal Standard' website.

I was told, I needed either an X or Y kit and could I give more details, so they could tell me exactly.

After an exchange of emails, photos and serial numbers, I received an email this morning; they have ordered three new parts (worth well over £40), with which my installer can fix the problem. The items will be with me on, or before the 9th of September.

As a goodwill gesture!!!

And the suite is years old, and long out of guarantee.

I think this surpasses even John Lewis for customer care!

Offline Oldboy

« Reply #3514 on: September 02, 2015, 05:38:30 PM »

To find out, if it is something 'a competent person' (not me!) can fix, or whether it needs a plumber/installer, I contacted the customer service via the 'Ideal Standard' website.

I was told, I needed either an X or Y kit and could I give more details, so they could tell me exactly.

After an exchange of emails, photos and serial numbers, I received an email this morning; they have ordered three new parts (worth well over £40), with which my installer can fix the problem. The items will be with me on, or before the 9th of September.

As a goodwill gesture!!!

That made you happy.  :tup:

Offline Reinardina

« Reply #3515 on: September 03, 2015, 07:57:37 AM »

As a goodwill gesture!!!

That made you happy.  :tup:

It was so unexpected, and on a day lots of other things went wrong, that yes, it did make me happy.

Offline Oldboy

Offline jinky

« Reply #3517 on: October 26, 2015, 03:48:51 PM »
For the 4 years or so of my second career of photography I longed to get the chance of shooting a destination wedding. I close down and stop shooting and get offered a couple within the last week! The first I would not do for a stranger but I`ve agreed to shoot the weekend wedding of a friend`s daughter in a gorgeous hotel in the south of Spain. I`m getting flights for me and my wife covered, a couple of nights in a hotel near Ronda and then a week in a villa above Marbella with a hire car throughout  + meals / drinks on the wedding weekend. She wants to pay me a fee on top but I feel that`s more than enough and don`t want to get tax man interest if I post pictures later. The best part is they don`t want normal wedding coverage with lots of bridal posing / groups/ photobooth - just informal shots of a weekend party with the ceremony in the middle somewhere. Wonderful! Hope I get more of such gigs!

Offline Oldboy

« Reply #3518 on: October 26, 2015, 05:19:01 PM »
Well done Jinky, isn't always the same!  ::)

Offline Reinardina

« Reply #3519 on: October 26, 2015, 06:27:06 PM »
That's worth coming out of retirement for!

Offline Hinfrance

• Global Moderator
  • Cake is good
    • Hinfrance
« Reply #3520 on: October 27, 2015, 09:24:37 AM »
Have a wonderful time Paul.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

Offline jinky

« Reply #3521 on: October 27, 2015, 10:01:08 AM »
Should be fun but not until end of April. Need to persuade them to at least do a few couple shots as they are so anti- standard wedding shoots. They wanted me because of some shots I did of their mum`s 60th when I was down there for a party which were all reportage style. All I need to do is read up on how Spanish weddings are conducted now.

Offline Reinardina

« Reply #3522 on: November 03, 2015, 05:25:35 PM »
Just rang an alpine hotel, to confirm a booking for a stay over Christmas. When I wanted to give my credit card details, it wasn't necessary as 'they knew us.' (Daughter and I spent two nights there in September.)

Long live small-ish family run hotels in Austria!

Offline jinky

« Reply #3523 on: November 04, 2015, 06:57:08 PM »
Always nice to feel special and remembered R  ;)

Offline Reinardina

« Reply #3524 on: November 05, 2015, 10:04:22 AM »
Always nice to feel special and remembered R  ;)

Yes, it is something that's lacking, when you book a 'chain hotel.'

latest Posts

Subject Board Views/Replies Member Date & Time
xx POLL - Accommodation International Weekly Comp Entries 293/10 Hinfrance Last post Today at 07:22:58 AM
xx One to one tuition General Discussion 73/1 Jediboy Last post Today at 12:12:12 AM
xx What did you do with your camera today? General Discussion 1445/32 Jediboy Last post Today at 12:10:34 AM
xx Weekly competition ENTRY thread. ROOTS. 20th August-27th August 2017 International Weekly Comp Entries 28/0 kerry holt Last post August 20, 2017, 10:51:06 PM
xx Weekly competition CHAT thread. ROOTS. 20th August-27th August International Weekly Comp Entries 26/0 kerry holt Last post August 20, 2017, 10:46:42 PM
xx weekly competition CHAT thread. MUSHROOMS 13th Aug to 20th Aug International Weekly Comp Entries 114/2 anglefire Last post August 18, 2017, 10:46:57 PM
xx Weekly competition ENTRY thread MUSHROOMS 13th Aug to 20th Aug International Weekly Comp Entries 117/2 anglefire Last post August 18, 2017, 10:45:58 PM
xx Weekly Comp Entry thread - ACCOMMODATION International Weekly Comp Entries 240/7 Hinfrance Last post August 14, 2017, 02:20:41 PM