POLL - Song Title SMALL - CHAT THREAD 16-22...SMALL - ENTRY THREAD 16-2...HeronSong Title CHAT thread 1s...Song Title ENTRY thread 1...Poll - Days out - 18th-25...Windows 10 19H1 is headin...POLL - SchoolSchool - Weekly Comp Entr...SCHOOL - Weekly comp Chat...Entry Thread - Days out -...POLL - DoorwaysChat Thread - Days out - ...1957 Ferrari California 2...Doorways - Entry Thread w...

Author Topic: Are you the best judge....  (Read 5385 times)

Offline greypoint

Are you the best judge....
« on: August 13, 2009, 08:01:29 AM »
....of your own pictures? Do you find that the ones you really like tend to get passed by and the ones you upload as an afterthought are the ones that get the comments? I suppose what I mean is a case of do we sometimes get a bit tied up with trying to get things technically right and ignore the fact that content is the mopst important thing. Of course, getting both right is the ultimate goal. I give you one of my most popular flickr uploads - over 1150 views and a number of favourited. Uploaded as part of a set taken at a very wet show last year with nothing done to it but a crop, I think there must be a lot of welly boot fetishists out there!

Have you found the same thing??

Offline Trickee

• Mysite
Re: Are you the best judge....
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2009, 10:30:19 AM »
i totally agree with what you are saying i sometimes post a pic that i really like and think that it will stimulate some comments only to find that it gets passed over.
i think that sometimes the number of views can be attributed to the picture looking strange as a small thumbnail. i.e you cannot tell what the picture is until you view it good or not. of course not everyone here are active in making comments, probably because some pictures interest them more than others. just my 3 penneth :legit:

Offline Oldboy

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2009, 11:24:31 AM »
The most viewed picture are not always the best in photographic terms, but may invoke in people memories of times past and pets they have lost. In the case of your picture, a cute dog sitting next to his/her master, captures this moment perfectly and the fact that no genger or age can be attached to the wellie person, means they can see themselves in the picture.  ;D

Offline greypoint

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2009, 12:42:58 PM »
No I definitely think this one has more to do with the boots! ::)

Offline irv_b

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2009, 02:49:07 PM »
....of your own pictures? Do you find that the ones you really like tend to get passed by and the ones you upload as an afterthought are the ones that get the comments? I suppose what I mean is a case of do we sometimes get a bit tied up with trying to get things technically right and ignore the fact that content is the mopst important thing. Of course, getting both right is the ultimate goal. I give you one of my most popular flickr uploads - over 1150 views and a number of favourited. Uploaded as part of a set taken at a very wet show last year with nothing done to it but a crop, I think there must be a lot of welly boot fetishists out there!

Have you found the same thing??
Sue I don't think you can be ......
Whoever we are there is an emotional tie of sorts to the pic that you have taken. Even if its a work thing you have invested a thought process into it, apart from the time and energy, you see what you want to in it, whereas somebody else will only see the picture itself and although they may understand the effort you went to take it they have nothing of themself invested in it and can like it (or dislike it) for the graphic that it is
My Gallery

Don't count the days "Guest," make the days count!.

skellum

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2009, 04:08:51 PM »
I've lost count of the times I have printed and framed a picture to sell on the market ( thinking I am onto a winner ) only for it to be totally ignored. :'( :legit:

Offline greypoint

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2009, 04:38:49 PM »
Yes I suppose there is that whole thing about what you put into it. If I was to take a stunning sunset in a popular and much photographed location I'd be really proud of it - others would think 'yawn, another cliched sunset'! ::)

Offline irv_b

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2009, 05:13:02 PM »
Well I spose if you are proud of what you've achieved, ultimately that's all that matters - or do we all secretly do this to gain people's approval of our skill in our chosen hobby. How many shots have you taken that people don't see what you see in it? and you just want to say to them "look at it just look at it" and they still cant see it (I am thinking of my wife and the dogs a*** comment :D)
My Gallery

Don't count the days "Guest," make the days count!.

Offline greypoint

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2009, 06:10:01 PM »
Ah - that's another 'photographer thing' I think - there are lots of pictures that a fellow photographer will praise for its composition, colours, tone and DOF - your Mum will say 'why on earth did you take a picture of a table leg?'!! :D

Offline Eileen

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2009, 10:24:11 PM »
I think most of us want a little praise from time to time.

This is an interesting question, and especially relevant for me today. I recently sent off my fourth assignment for my OCA course. I was really unhappy with this assignment. Lots of things went wrong and I ended up with a collection with some pictures I was happy with and some I really wasn't. I have been absolutely dreading the feedback.
It arrived this evening and I spent an hour building up to opening it. The tutor said I was being too hard on myself and it was good submission. There were some pictures that were less successful than others but they were good examples of what the submission was about.
Now I wonder why I was so worked up about it. I still don't like all the pictures but they weren't that bad. I think I invested so much time in the exercise and had so many things go wrong that I lost all perspective.
I also have the opposite happen sometimes - pictures I really like get very little comment. Usually after a while I can see why.

Offline greypoint

« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2009, 10:32:57 PM »
I think the value of other people's opinion is'nt so much the fact you want praise, but, after you've spent a lot of time on something, you can find it hard to be objective and a fresh perspective can give you pointers for what could be improved next time.

Offline Oldboy

« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2009, 10:41:14 PM »
I think most of us want a little praise from time to time.

This is an interesting question, and especially relevant for me today. I recently sent off my fourth assignment for my OCA course. I was really unhappy with this assignment. Lots of things went wrong and I ended up with a collection with some pictures I was happy with and some I really wasn't. I have been absolutely dreading the feedback.
It arrived this evening and I spent an hour building up to opening it. The tutor said I was being too hard on myself and it was good submission. There were some pictures that were less successful than others but they were good examples of what the submission was about.
That's because your idea of a good picture has been raised. If you cast your mind back to the first pictures you took and you thought they were great. Look at them now and you think they are rubbish. The further we push ourselves the more we expect. Well done on your course work and I know it will come right in the end.  :tup:

Offline spinner

« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2009, 12:48:09 AM »
Let's not forget the reverse that can never really be confirmed or proven. How many photos do you have in your collection that you think are substandard, but might actually be seen as brilliant by someone else? You can't ever know.
And more, much more than this, I did it my way
Ol' blue eyes

http://ddsdigita4.wix.com/ddsdigital
https://www.flickr.com/photos/spin498/

Offline Oldboy

« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2009, 01:13:20 AM »
Let's not forget the reverse that can never really be confirmed or proven. How many photos do you have in your collection that you think are substandard, but might actually be seen as brilliant by someone else? You can't ever know.

Very true! And I've got more than most!  :-[

Offline greypoint

« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2009, 06:54:59 AM »
Using flickr and tagging your photos does give you a good idea of what people search for. I use the flickr stats option to see what's been looked at over the past couple of days. One of the most often searched for amongst my pics is 'norfolk terrier' [there's someone locally who shiows them so I have a fair few photos] - you would'nt think such a minority breed would have such a number of searches on it. My Norfolk pics appear on lots of websites all over the world - mostly without permission but they do link back - the ones I know about anyway!

latest Posts

Subject Board Views/Replies Member Date & Time
xx POLL - Song Title International Weekly Comp Entries 263/5 Jediboy Last post September 16, 2019, 10:49:12 AM
xx SMALL - CHAT THREAD 16-22nd September `19 International Weekly Comp Entries 34/0 jinky Last post September 16, 2019, 10:00:15 AM
xx SMALL - ENTRY THREAD 16-22nd September `19 International Weekly Comp Entries 53/0 jinky Last post September 16, 2019, 09:59:37 AM
xx Heron Wildlife Photography 117/4 anglefire Last post September 16, 2019, 07:17:49 AM
xx Song Title CHAT thread 1st-8th September `19 International Weekly Comp Entries 855/36 jinky Last post September 13, 2019, 03:02:01 PM
xx Song Title ENTRY thread 1st-8th September `19 International Weekly Comp Entries 173/4 Jediboy Last post September 09, 2019, 03:08:08 PM
xx Poll - Days out - 18th-25th August 2019 International Weekly Comp Entries 326/7 Hinfrance Last post September 08, 2019, 07:17:09 AM
xx Windows 10 19H1 is heading your way. PC computer questions, tips and how to's 2827/35 Mick Last post September 07, 2019, 02:45:08 PM