• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Recent Posts

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,515
  • Total Topics: 5,735
  • Online today: 62
  • Online ever: 6,071 (March 12, 2026, 03:28:52 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 24
  • Total: 24
millets
What made you feel good t...Weekly CompetitionsCanon kit to borrow (free...Dreaminess Happy Christmas 2025!NiceVeedi 2-Pack Photogra...DJI Osmo Action 6 Essenti...RØDE Wireless ME Ultra-co...NEEWER Snap On ND Filter ...BRDRC Pocket 3 Camera Bik...Lenovo LOQ | 15.6 inch Fu...DJI Mic 3 (2 TX + 1 RX + ...DJI Mic Mini (2 TX + 1 RX...DJI OSMO Action 5 Pro 4 3...DJI Osmo Action 5 Pro Adv...Post your best shots here

Are you the best judge....

Started by greypoint, August 13, 2009, 08:01:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eileen

Thanks OB. You are right in that my standards are higher than 18 months ago. But I also think that some pictures you take carry a lot of emotional baggage - the circumstances surrounding the actual picture, the effort you put in and the feelings you have about it, either good or bad, just get in the way of seeing clearly. A quote I heard somewhere recently goes something like: "You judge yourself by your intentions, while others judge you by your actions."

Personally I think I sometimes undervalue 'easy' pictures that just worked first time and overvalue ones I really sweated over. And of course if I really like the subject then that makes a difference also.

The next (final!!) section of the course focusses on story telling and subject matter. One of the first exercises to get us thinking about this is to gather some examples of pictures where the subject is more important than how they look, and vice versa. I think Sue's examples a great illustration of this (I don't mean that your pictures don't look good - I think they're great - but just that most people looking for pictures of Norfolk Terriers wouldn't be happy if they got a stunning portrait of a German Shepherd). Aesthetics are not unimportant but are a secondary consideration.

One of the things that makes photography so interesting to me is that there's always something to think about and you never stop learning. My favourite picture is always the one I am going to take next.  :)

greypoint

#16
Think it can be easy to become obsessed with getting the techincalities right and forget that having a subject that's interesting [to some people anyway!] is the main point really ::)

wendoureecat

I think it depends on why you are taking a particular shot.......for yourself because you like it or to sell. With any art form an artist creates from the heart but art is a personal thing and what one person likes another doesnt. If I had to paint for a raffle I would paint something that the majority of people would like but for myself my style is quite different.

irv_b

To expand the point - if you put a photo in a competition and although the official judges didn't rate it but your fellow competitors voted it as the best what would your feelings be? ie whose view would carry the most weight?
My Gallery

Don't count the days "Guest," make the days count!.

Bigbill

Hewwo from Muggy Sheffy

I just assume everythings crap,,then i,m never surpised !
Seriously,i dont think it takes long to realise that other peoples comments dont really carry much weight either way,
its your own thoughts,or even better,those of non photographers that really count.

Shine On

anglefire

I wrote some crits on the competition that runs monthly on DPG one month, to have the photographer of one of the shots complain about what I wrote. Essentially saying how difficult the shot was to take etc etc. Unfortunately the resulting picture was not that good, but he couldn't accept it due the effort he had put in and his resulting emotional attachment.

Some of you may remember that I went on a DCM day out at Yarak in Devon to take some bird of prey shots - and the one thing that has stuck in my mind from the day, was some thing Ben Birchall said. Essentially, do a quick pass of your shots and get rid of the real crap, then perhaps process some you really like, then leave the rest for a week or two. That gives you enough time to remove some of the emotion from the shots.

Funnily enough Rachael Decruze was also there - she had not long started I think. She was nice actually.
----------------------------------
Mark
* A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odourless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Current Bodies:
Canon R3
Canon R5

Sold Bodies:
Canon 350D
Canon 1DMk3
Canon 5D
Canon 1Dx Mk3
Canon 1Dx

Oldboy

#21
Quote from: anglefire on August 14, 2009, 09:08:22 PM
Essentially, do a quick pass of your shots and get rid of the real crap, then perhaps process some you really like, then leave the rest for a week or two. That gives you enough time to remove some of the emotion from the shots.

That's what I do and always have.  The reverse is also true, that you take a series of shots, but on checking them you didn't get what you wanted, so you may be tempted to delete them, but leave them for a few weeks and you might see they are quite good. ;D

anglefire

Thats true. Mind you, I autobackup to my external HD every day, so I have to make sure that I remove it from both places (Actually 3 cos my External HD backs itself up weekly to another HD!)
----------------------------------
Mark
* A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odourless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Current Bodies:
Canon R3
Canon R5

Sold Bodies:
Canon 350D
Canon 1DMk3
Canon 5D
Canon 1Dx Mk3
Canon 1Dx

Eileen

I tend to delete the rubbish quickly and then wait for a bit. It does help.

To answer your question Irv: it would depend (on whether I respected the judges or the other members more). And of course I'd be happy anyway if at least one group liked it.

spinner

In answer to your original question Sue, I guess my answer would have to be no. My latest post to my gallery, you said was the best of my series for you. I put in as an after thought and was thinking It would either get ignored or criticized so you have proven I can't judge my own stuff.
And more, much more than this, I did it my way
Ol' blue eyes

http://ddsdigita4.wix.com/ddsdigital
https://www.flickr.com/photos/spin498/

greypoint

Others may disagree but I'd looked at them all and I liked the feel of that one best - not quite sure why 8)

Jonathan

Quote from: Eileen on August 14, 2009, 02:55:49 AMBut I also think that some pictures you take carry a lot of emotional baggage

Spot on.

I remember years ago showing a pic to my wife that I was very very proud of.  It was some underwater junk.

"looks a bit soft" - yeah well there was a 12 foot surge - I was being rushed forward and back and shooting on slide film I only had chance to nail it
"and the colours are a bit off" yeah well I was using Kodak 100VS to up the shutter a bit - it was too dark for Velvia
"and you haven't framed it quite right" no but it was really cold - I was diving in a semi in 12 degrees so I was shivering a bit and my air was low so it was get that shot or leave it
"so why did you press the button.......?"

Which probably saved me a lot of embarrassment in the competition I was going to enter it for.

FWIW I almost never enter comps.  If I do I often do badly - I'm a better judge of what I like and (more recently) what will sell than what will look good to a judge.
It's Guest's round

Hybridphotog

Am I the best judge of my own shots? Nope.

The latest one I put on Flickr, the helter skelter photo, looked ok-ish, but I could see the problems it had. Not a perfect shot, imo.

There's been lots of comments about the shot, nearly all saying "Thanks for the memories rekindled".

ABERS

Golden rule as far as I'm concerned, never show, never enter for competition, never put up for judging and never offer up for exhibition any print or image that YOU are not satisfied with or completely sure about.

It's yours, you've visualised it, you've taken it, you've worked on it, but if you can't get the final result that you want, bin it. Don't offer it up with the hope that someone  may like it, that's a real cop out.
If judges or any viewers don't like it so what? If you go down the slippery slope of taking pictures that you think will please the judge, or anyone other than yourself, you are on the road to mediocrity.


Colin

Quote from: ABERS on August 23, 2009, 10:56:56 PM
Golden rule as far as I'm concerned, never show, never enter for competition, never put up for judging and never offer up for exhibition any print or image that YOU are not satisfied with or completely sure about.

It's yours, you've visualised it, you've taken it, you've worked on it, but if you can't get the final result that you want, bin it. Don't offer it up with the hope that someone  may like it, that's a real cop out.
If judges or any viewers don't like it so what? If you go down the slippery slope of taking pictures that you think will please the judge, or anyone other than yourself, you are on the road to mediocrity.


Abers that is great advice and I try to follow it but sometimes I ask SWMBO just in case I got it wrong ;)

This website is proudly hosted on Crocweb Cloud Website Hosting.


Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.