Canon EF L IS USM 500 f/4...Horizons PollHorizons ENTRIES 27/07...What annoyed you today?STREET-ENTRIES-Weekly Com...STREET-CHAT-Weekly Comp 1...POLL for TIME OUTTIME OUT. Chat thread wee...TIME OUT. Entry thread w...Horizons CHAT thread 2...POLL -NUMBERS and / or LE...NUMBERS and / or LETTERS ...POLL Happiness is.......Nice houseHappiness is.... Entry Th...Happiness is.... Chat Thr...

Author Topic: INDUSTRY - Chat - Weekly comp 13-19 August  (Read 5018 times)

Offline Hinfrance

• Global Moderator
  • Cake is good
    • Hinfrance
INDUSTRY - Chat - Weekly comp 13-19 August
« on: August 12, 2012, 07:08:57 PM »
Chat Thread

This week anything related to any interpretation of the word 'industry', from hard work to dark satanic mills, the choice is yours.

No PP restrictions.

Pictures to be taken between 00.01am Monday 13th August 2012 to 23:59 Sunday  19th August 2012 .
Pictures to be posted in the entries thread no later than 23.59pm Monday 20th August 2012.
Poll will be up Tuesday 21st August 2012.
Winner to be announced Saturday25th August 2012.

The Rules for the weekly competition are...

By entering you agree to take responsibility to
Post a topic on the Sunday following your declared win
Create an entries thread
Create a chat thread
Create a poll for that weeks comp and declare the winner on the Saturday
(if for any reason there is a problem and no subject is posted by the winner by Monday night admin will advise second place winner to post the topic asap, do the poll etc)

In case of a tie, the first entry posted wins.

Photos to be taken during the specified dates, ie Monday xx to Sunday xx

Pictures to be posted in the entries thread no later than 23.59 Monday night
« Last Edit: August 12, 2012, 07:10:46 PM by Hinfrance »

Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

Offline Reinardina

• Still trying to master photography.
Re: INDUSTRY - Chat - Weekly comp 13-19 August
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2012, 07:40:50 PM »
If only there were some dark satanic mills round here!

But I'll keep my eyes peeled, there might, just about, be somewhere interesting that is not fenced off or boarded in.

Beauty is bought by judgment of the eye.
Shakespeare. (Love's Labours Lost.)

Offline Oldboy

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2012, 10:17:21 PM »
All the dark Satanic mills have been closed around here for years.  :'(

Offline Reinardina

• Still trying to master photography.
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2012, 10:28:38 PM »

Exactly the sort of place I'd like to take my camera to! Closed, derelict satanic mills! Industry that was.

Beauty is bought by judgment of the eye.
Shakespeare. (Love's Labours Lost.)

Offline Hinfrance

• Global Moderator
  • Cake is good
    • Hinfrance
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2012, 07:08:58 AM »

Alas most of Europe is in the process of de-industrialisation. I often ask myself is it no coincidence that the wealthiest country in the EU, Germany, is also the most industrialised? They make stuff, the rest of us just shift money and things around taking a margin at every turn.

I'm guessing Oldboy that where you once had factories you now have shopping malls or suburban housing estates; that seems to be the way of it.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

Offline Oldboy

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2012, 09:36:23 AM »

Exactly the sort of place I'd like to take my camera to! Closed, derelict satanic mills! Industry that was.

All gone. Replaced by shops and houses.  :'(

The Black country got it's name from the smoke of all the heavy industries like steel making. In the late sixties after they built the new motorway island, I remember going up there on dark winter mornings and seeing all the red glows from the blast furnaces, as far as the eye could see.  8)
« Last Edit: August 13, 2012, 09:43:30 AM by Oldboy »

Offline DigiDiva

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2012, 07:31:43 AM »
i have an idea but not sure i can get where i want to go. i have the whole weekend to myself as hubby away so hopefully i can sort something. need to research.
Please visit my website @ www.sunderlandwallart.com

Offline Oldboy

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2012, 09:23:04 AM »
i have an idea but not sure i can get where i want to go. i have the whole weekend to myself as hubby away so hopefully i can sort something. need to research.

The whole weekend to yourself and you haven't booked forty-eight hours shopping! Are you ill?  :P :2funny: :legit:

Offline DigiDiva

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2012, 11:18:08 PM »
Howard, I raise my hat to you. Your theme has inspired me to go out and try something different. No one else might like the images I have taken, but I absolutely love them. I have a whole weekend alone (hubby away) so I will be out even more. I'm discovering things of beauty I never noticed before, on my own doorstop. Industry can be beautiful. I'm hooked.

I have not been this excited over a theme for a long, long time. Whoop whoop.

Offline DigiDiva

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2012, 11:24:20 PM »

The whole weekend to yourself and you haven't booked forty-eight hours shopping! Are you ill?  :P :2funny: :legit:

Too skint mate...paid for a wedding and central heating in a space of 2 months! Shopping, I wish....

Offline ABERS

• Black and White Images by Alan Abercrombie
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2012, 08:03:00 AM »
Decided I must get out and about more with the camera and perhaps this may fit the "Industry" bill, spotted the shot yesterday at an antiques fair. Not industrious enough methinks. :-\

White Van Man by abers, on Flickr

Offline Beaux Reflets

• Global Moderator
  • Commonsense answers a whole load of the unanswered
    • Beaux Reflets
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2012, 08:13:47 AM »
Nice shot Alan. I think I will have difficulty finding "industrial" around my neck of the woods  :-\
:beer: Andy

"Light anchors things in place and gives perspective meaning."

The choices we make are rooted in reflection.

http://beauxreflets.blogspot.com/

Offline Hinfrance

• Global Moderator
  • Cake is good
    • Hinfrance
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2012, 08:25:04 AM »
Andy the theme is 'Industry' not 'industrial', and that would include anyone/anything industrious. There must be someone hard working handy (self portrait perhaps?) We're not exactly overrun with heavy industry here in Dordogneshire either.

Trademark Abers shot Alan, loads of impact.

DD, glad you're having fun, looking forward to seeing what you come up with.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr

Offline Beaux Reflets

• Global Moderator
  • Commonsense answers a whole load of the unanswered
    • Beaux Reflets
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2012, 09:41:01 AM »
I will see what I can come up with if it does not get too hectic here Howard.
:beer: Andy

"Light anchors things in place and gives perspective meaning."

The choices we make are rooted in reflection.

http://beauxreflets.blogspot.com/

Offline DigiDiva

« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2012, 04:27:53 PM »
This is the (original I believe) pit wheel from Wearmouth Colliery. It is outside of the main reception of Sunderland's Football Club, The Stadium Of Light, which is built on the old colliery site......I waited for the right time after sunset, to catch the fire in the sky. I tried different angles but was limited because of an annoying lamp post in front of the wheel. You can also see the skeleton of a crane, where the shipyards used to be.

It's a stark reminder of the industries that were the lifeblood of Sunderland, mining and ship building, now replaced with car building and call centres. I love how the steeple of the church in the distance is silhouetted between the spokes of the wheel. Hope you like it. It's my 1st attempt but not necessarily my final entry.

« Last Edit: August 20, 2012, 09:13:12 AM by DigiDiva »

latest Posts

Subject Board Views/Replies Member Date & Time
xx Canon EF L IS USM 500 f/4 for sale Lenses 203/6 anglefire Last post August 05, 2020, 07:48:42 AM
xx Horizons Poll International Weekly Comp Entries 73/0 jinky Last post August 04, 2020, 10:13:43 AM
xx Horizons ENTRIES 27/07 - 02/08/20 International Weekly Comp Entries 233/5 Oldboy Last post August 03, 2020, 10:25:12 PM
xx What annoyed you today? General Discussion 636052/3972 Jediboy Last post August 03, 2020, 02:13:31 PM
question STREET-ENTRIES-Weekly Comp 1/8-9/8/2020 International Weekly Comp Entries 56/0 Hinfrance Last post August 01, 2020, 04:09:00 PM
smiley STREET-CHAT-Weekly Comp 1/8-9/8/2020 International Weekly Comp Entries 41/0 Hinfrance Last post August 01, 2020, 04:05:33 PM
xx POLL for TIME OUT International Weekly Comp Entries 195/3 Hinfrance Last post August 01, 2020, 01:04:50 PM
xx TIME OUT. Chat thread weekly comp. International Weekly Comp Entries 235/4 Jediboy Last post July 27, 2020, 11:31:15 PM