Horizons PollCanon EF L IS USM 500 f/4...Horizons ENTRIES 27/07...What annoyed you today?STREET-ENTRIES-Weekly Com...STREET-CHAT-Weekly Comp 1...POLL for TIME OUTTIME OUT. Chat thread wee...TIME OUT. Entry thread w...Horizons CHAT thread 2...POLL -NUMBERS and / or LE...NUMBERS and / or LETTERS ...POLL Happiness is.......Nice houseHappiness is.... Entry Th...Happiness is.... Chat Thr...

Author Topic: Chat thread for weekly comp Magazine Cover  (Read 5985 times)

Offline irv_b

Chat thread for weekly comp Magazine Cover
« on: December 04, 2011, 07:26:42 PM »
CHAT THREAD
In honour of the Life magazine documentary ( and this  thread http://cameracraniums.com/forum/index.php?topic=2420.0)
This week the topic is "Magazine cover" shot
You are to try to shoot a single picture which would grace the cover of a magazine of your choice be it music, lifestyle, fashion whatever -all except photography. The title of your shot should be the magazine title, and you can use as much pp as you want :legit:

Pictures to be taken between 00.01am Monday 05th December 2011 to 23:59 Sunday  11th December 2011 .
Pictures to be posted in the entries thread no later than 23.59pm Monday 12th December 2011.
Poll will be up Tuesday 13th December 2011.
Winner to be announced Saturday 17th December 2011.

The Rules for the weekly competition are...

By entering you agree to take responsibility to
Post a topic on the Sunday following your declared win
Create an entries thread
Create a chat thread
Create a poll for that weeks comp and declare the winner on the Saturday
(if for any reason there is a problem and no subject is posted by the winner by Monday night admin will advise second place winner to post the topic asap, do the poll etc)

In case of a tie, the first entry posted wins.

Photos to be taken during the specified dates, ie Monday xx to Sunday xx

Pictures to be posted in the entries thread no later than 23.59 Monday night
« Last Edit: December 04, 2011, 07:30:07 PM by irv_b »

My Gallery

Don't count the days "Guest," make the days count!.

Offline Reinardina

• Still trying to master photography.
Re: Chat thread for weekly comp Magazine Cover
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2011, 07:42:10 PM »
Great theme! You can really let yourself go on this one.

Beauty is bought by judgment of the eye.
Shakespeare. (Love's Labours Lost.)

Offline Delamanda

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2011, 11:04:33 PM »
Oooh! This sounds like fun!

picsfor

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2011, 11:54:04 AM »
Up at St Paul's protest camp yesterday, amongst other places - must be one of those suitable :-)

Offline Reinardina

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2011, 08:51:43 PM »
Last week's 'concrete' competition, saw me visiting a demolition site over and over again.
On Monday part of the building collapsed, so that I simply had to go there again, and it inspired me to design this magazine cover.

I want to point out that the demolition company is not to blame for the disaster. They did everything right, but apparently the ties of the old office block were faulty/not up to standard or something similar and the top floors collapsed. Engineers are looking into it now, to decide how to carry on from here. One of the things they're wanting to find out is who the building inspector was when the building was put up.

Offline ABERS

• Black and White Images by Alan Abercrombie
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2011, 08:37:27 AM »
I hope it's linked to Faecebook and Tw*tter Dave

Can I subscribe? ::)

Offline Reinardina

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2011, 09:38:25 AM »
You haven't touched on the personality change that takes place when (some) people pick up a camera! It certainly happens to me; from shy and retiring I become much bolder and in some cases too bold!

In the past I would have kept my head down, if I entered a pedestrian tunnel full of graffiti artists/vandals decorating the walls. Now I stop, and talk to them and photograph them.

Same with the drama I witnessed this week, I would definitely not have gone near the scene, now I photographed some of it. (Won't do that again though.)

Maybe an idea for the next issue? 

picsfor

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2011, 11:15:32 AM »
I was thinking about just needing to post a picture.

But quite clearly, Reinarda raised the bar far above that, and Dave has just compounded it with another excellent entry.

Clearly i need to go back to the drawing board. Must learn how to use photoshop to put some text on a picture ???

Offline Reinardina

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2011, 10:41:51 PM »
I was thinking about just needing to post a picture.

But quite clearly, Reinarda raised the bar far above that, and Dave has just compounded it with another excellent entry.

Clearly i need to go back to the drawing board. Must learn how to use photoshop to put some text on a picture ???

Andrew, Just read the brief again and it states clearly: You are to try to shoot a single picture which would grace  the cover of a magazine of your choice be it music, lifestyle, fashion whatever -all except photography. The title of your shot should be the magazine title, and you can use as much pp as you want But it also says: This week the topic is "Magazine cover" shot

I think your interpretation is the right one. "Magazine Cover shot" is not technically the same as "Magazine Cover"!
« Last Edit: December 09, 2011, 10:44:01 PM by Reinardina »

picsfor

« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2011, 11:39:27 PM »
whilst i accept what you are saying, i think that what you and Dave have done - has massively raised the bar.

Why ponder if the picture would look good on a magazine cover when you can actually see it in a simulated magazine cover?

Magazine cover shots require a different look to normal shots, because they require empty space to put the title and other blurb - so doing what you and Dave have done, have demonstrated how much harder you've got to work to make the picture a worthy winner - with or without the added text...

Offline Hinfrance

• Global Moderator
  • Cake is good
    • Hinfrance
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2011, 07:26:53 AM »
I agree that Dave's doesn't meet the brief as such  ;) but I also think that you can't show off a magazine cover shot without putting it into context, like Dave has done, or without a lot of potentially dodgy photoshoppery . .
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

Offline Reinardina

« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2011, 08:01:49 AM »
I was lucky with the light coloured safety sheeting (if that's what it's called). It accomodates the text without too many problems.

skellum

« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2011, 10:10:14 AM »
I agree that Dave's doesn't meet the brief as such  ;) but I also think that you can't show off a magazine cover shot without putting it into context, like Dave has done, or without a lot of potentially dodgy photoshoppery . .

Just noticed Irv said ' Not photography ' so I will withdraw my entry.  :' ( What I actually did was a studio shot of the camera and snowmen leaving plenty of room for the Magazine title and other text. So it is correct as a magazine shot but my fault using photography as the subject. I was trying to think of a title for the mag and a Camera Craniums mag seemed a good idea and then I got carried away with it.

I have supplied a few local magazines with pictures for front covers ( Usually tourist type publications that you find in your room at Travel Lodges ) and the brief is always for a big sky or similar to provide plenty of room for the title and also not to much in the picture that will distract the other text which is not always possible. Next time your in a newsagents or supermarket its worth a look to see which front cover pictures work and which don't. Does all the text jump out at you or is some of it lost.

May have a go next week if I have the time and I will make sure I read the brief correctly. :knuppel2:

Below is my shot without the text and a shot of Ashness Bridge in Cumbria and Deepdale, Preston, which were accepted by one the mag editors, which reminds me I have been asked for a quaint picture of a Cafe in North Yorkshire. I usually only go as far as Skipton & Settle so any ideas anyone ?
« Last Edit: December 10, 2011, 10:51:06 AM by Dave »

skellum

« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2011, 10:17:31 PM »
Managed another quick attempt. No photography this time just DIY......... Sorry for the spelling mistakes but I am not going to change it know  :legit:
« Last Edit: December 11, 2011, 02:40:10 AM by Dave »

Offline Beaux Reflets

• Global Moderator
  • Commonsense answers a whole load of the unanswered
    • Beaux Reflets
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2011, 10:45:55 PM »
Some wonderful or should I say blinding offers in BLING this winter -  :2funny:
« Last Edit: December 10, 2011, 10:50:00 PM by beauxreflets »
:beer: Andy

"Light anchors things in place and gives perspective meaning."

The choices we make are rooted in reflection.

http://beauxreflets.blogspot.com/

latest Posts

Subject Board Views/Replies Member Date & Time
xx Horizons Poll International Weekly Comp Entries 18/0 jinky Last post Today at 10:13:43 AM
xx Canon EF L IS USM 500 f/4 for sale Lenses 58/2 Hinfrance Last post Today at 08:05:53 AM
xx Horizons ENTRIES 27/07 - 02/08/20 International Weekly Comp Entries 210/5 Oldboy Last post August 03, 2020, 10:25:12 PM
xx What annoyed you today? General Discussion 635212/3972 Jediboy Last post August 03, 2020, 02:13:31 PM
question STREET-ENTRIES-Weekly Comp 1/8-9/8/2020 International Weekly Comp Entries 42/0 Hinfrance Last post August 01, 2020, 04:09:00 PM
smiley STREET-CHAT-Weekly Comp 1/8-9/8/2020 International Weekly Comp Entries 28/0 Hinfrance Last post August 01, 2020, 04:05:33 PM
xx POLL for TIME OUT International Weekly Comp Entries 180/3 Hinfrance Last post August 01, 2020, 01:04:50 PM
xx TIME OUT. Chat thread weekly comp. International Weekly Comp Entries 218/4 Jediboy Last post July 27, 2020, 11:31:15 PM