STREET-CHAT-Weekly Comp 1...POLL for STREETSTREET-ENTRIES-Weekly Com...Horizons PollREFLECTIONS - Chat Threa...REFLECTIONS - Entry threa...Canon EF L IS USM 500 f/4...Horizons ENTRIES 27/07...What annoyed you today?POLL for TIME OUTTIME OUT. Chat thread wee...TIME OUT. Entry thread w...Horizons CHAT thread 2...POLL -NUMBERS and / or LE...NUMBERS and / or LETTERS ...POLL Happiness is.......

Author Topic: Browsers  (Read 3938 times)

Offline Forseti

Browsers
« on: March 03, 2010, 04:42:57 PM »
Keeping one step ahead of M$ with their various browser download options due about now, I've jumped the gun and installed Firefox. Having just typed Firefox I notice that it's become underlined in red indicating that it's not spelt correctly. Um that's good, Firefox not spelt correctly using their own dictionary - hope that I've not made a big mistake here LOL. Anyway I digress - having now installed it should there be anything that I should be keeping one eye open for (any particular settings etc) plus any tips or additional plug-ins that might be worth while. I've already discovered that unlike IE the Firefox browser hasn't got the zoom in button at the bottom right hand corner and that alone took me 15 mins to work out that I need to use the Ctrl +/- keys. I only hope that once those nasty people realise that users are moving away from IE that they don't in the future pay more attention to the alternative browsers making IE the safest once again.

Edit: I've just realised that when copying/pasting URL's into emails etc that they no longer become clickable. Is this how it's supposed to work or am I missing a setting somewhere?
« Last Edit: March 03, 2010, 05:00:18 PM by Forseti »

Canon 7D,  Canon SX1 IS, EF100 f/2.8 USM Macro, EF70-200 f/4 L IS USM, EF17-40 f/4 L USM, Sigma 50mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM, Canon Speedlite 580EX MkII

"Everyone can take a great picture with digital, the knack is to take two" - David Bailey

picsfor

Re: Browsers
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2010, 05:27:58 PM »
Been using Firefox for a while now on both Mac and Windows.

Haven't really noticed the active hyperlink for copy and paste (don't often do it) but will give it a go on the Windows 7 machine when i boot it up later tonight.
Never used the zoom button on IE so couldn't comment.

As for plug ins etc, they will be safer with Firefox because they've not been created using MS development languages and tools!
When did you last hear of some one getting a virus etc through a Photoshop plug in?

Not software - it's how it's developed.

Offline Mick

• I've got the latest Canon - 4 rings, double oven and eye level grill! And HD video!
  • Administrator
  • I really, really hate lawn mowers.
    • Camera Craniums
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2010, 06:17:02 PM »
Used firefox on my other PC, but rarely use it myself.   Haven't felt the need to install it on my windows 7 PC though, as IE 8 seems to work very well.  ;)

I had the browser choice window pop up on my xp machine, and thought it would never go away lol..   It's gone now though and I'm still happily using IE8.

Thank You, "Guest" For Reading This Post.

My Gallery
Tinyportal.net Running SMF 2.0.13 / Tinyportal 1.0
Guitarist Guild Running SMF 2.0.13 / Tinyportal 1.2R
The Garden Machinery Forum Running SMF 2.0.13 / Tinyportal 1.2R

Offline spinner

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2010, 06:48:42 PM »

Edit: I've just realised that when copying/pasting URL's into emails etc that they no longer become clickable. Is this how it's supposed to work or am I missing a setting somewhere?

I had run into similar problems recently. I've discovered if, after I've pasted in the URL I hit return a couple of times to go down a couple of lines the link activates.
And more, much more than this, I did it my way
Ol' blue eyes

http://ddsdigita4.wix.com/ddsdigital
https://www.flickr.com/photos/spin498/

Offline Jonathan

• PeopleByRyan
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2010, 07:32:25 PM »
additional plug-ins that might be worth while

Google up GreaseMonkey and prepare as they say to be dazzled.  Especially if you are big into Flickr ;)
It's Guest's round

Offline Forseti

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2010, 09:40:24 PM »
Google up GreaseMonkey and prepare as they say to be dazzled.  Especially if you are big into Flickr ;)

I did and was dazzled by the number of complaints that I read. Think I'll be giving that a miss for now thanks all the same.

When did you last hear of some one getting a virus etc through a Photoshop plug in?

A couple of weeks ago actually Andrew. I executed a routine Vulnerability Scan with Kaspersky Internet Security Suite 2010 which indicated a vulnerability in Adobe Illustrator which I don't actually have installed but apparently shares a couple of dll's with Photoshop. Following the provided link that KAS provided I was able to update the 2 files concerned which cleared the vulnerability.

I had run into similar problems recently. I've discovered if, after I've pasted in the URL I hit return a couple of times to go down a couple of lines the link activates.

Thanks spinner, I'll give that a go next time I try it.

A couple of other minor irritations in using Firefox:

I can't now hear any mouse clicks through the speakers when I click on a site etc. Not critical, but at least I knew the mouse batteries weren't flat LOL.

When logging in/off on this site, and up to now it's only this site, I simply end up with a blank screen and have to click on that half-circled blue arrow (top left) to "reload current page."

« Last Edit: March 03, 2010, 10:09:43 PM by Forseti »
Canon 7D,  Canon SX1 IS, EF100 f/2.8 USM Macro, EF70-200 f/4 L IS USM, EF17-40 f/4 L USM, Sigma 50mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM, Canon Speedlite 580EX MkII

"Everyone can take a great picture with digital, the knack is to take two" - David Bailey

picsfor

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2010, 10:16:33 PM »
I had to say it didn't i?  :o

Offline Verb

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2010, 10:30:36 PM »
I can't now hear any mouse clicks through the speakers when I click on a site etc. Not critical, but at least I knew the mouse batteries weren't flat LOL

surely by the mouse pointer moving you'd figure the batterys weren't dead  :P

Offline Forseti

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2010, 10:33:37 PM »

surely by the mouse pointer moving you'd figure the batterys weren't dead  :P

15 love  :2funny:

Offline Jonathan

• PeopleByRyan
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2010, 07:56:27 AM »
I did and was dazzled by the number of complaints that I read. Think I'll be giving that a miss for now thanks all the same.

Yeah - some people find it confusing and love to whine on the 'net about it.  Best browser extension ever.

I can't now hear any mouse clicks through the speakers when I click on a site etc.

What that stupid hands clap thing?  Most ridiculous thing ever put in a browser ;)  M$ should pay billions for inflicting that on the world.....
It's Guest's round

Offline Forseti

« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2010, 09:51:01 PM »
Does anyone know if there is a way to save (maybe to file) web sites that one has Bookmarked? I've got a whole list of them and don't too much fancy the idea of jotting them all down in a notepad prior to installing a new OS (W7) and subsequently having to reinstall Firefox.

picsfor

« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2010, 10:02:20 PM »
http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Backing+up+and+restoring+bookmarks?bl=n&s=back%20up%20bookmarks&as=q

the above link in the firfox help file details what you need - hope this helps

Offline Just Dave

• Holidays-Revealed
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2010, 10:05:21 PM »
Does anyone know if there is a way to save (maybe to file) web sites that one has Bookmarked? I've got a whole list of them and don't too much fancy the idea of jotting them all down in a notepad prior to installing a new OS (W7) and subsequently having to reinstall Firefox.

In firefox, Click Bookmarks, Organize Bookmarks,

When the new POPUP Library Opens, theres 3 options, choose Import And Backup, from the drop down Export HTML, save the file in your docs or where ever, HTH

Dave
Visit Our Website Clicky Linky My Flickr Clicky Linky Scrap Cars Buyer scrapcarsbuyer.co.uk

Offline Just Dave

• Holidays-Revealed
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2010, 10:12:30 PM »
 :2funny: You beat me to it picsfor, I must learn to type faster  :2funny:
Visit Our Website Clicky Linky My Flickr Clicky Linky Scrap Cars Buyer scrapcarsbuyer.co.uk

Offline Forseti

« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2010, 06:57:41 AM »
Easy when you know how isn't it?  :tup:

latest Posts

Subject Board Views/Replies Member Date & Time
xx STREET-CHAT-Weekly Comp 1/8-9/8/2020 International Weekly Comp Entries 177/5 Jediboy Last post Today at 11:55:14 AM
question POLL for STREET International Weekly Comp Entries 65/0 Hinfrance Last post August 11, 2020, 08:10:27 AM
xx STREET-ENTRIES-Weekly Comp 1/8-9/8/2020 International Weekly Comp Entries 186/4 Jediboy Last post August 10, 2020, 06:57:54 PM
xx Horizons Poll International Weekly Comp Entries 233/4 anglefire Last post August 09, 2020, 04:51:11 PM
xx REFLECTIONS - Chat Thread, Weekly Comp - 08/08/20 - 16/08/20 International Weekly Comp Entries 74/2 Jediboy Last post August 09, 2020, 03:31:50 PM
xx REFLECTIONS - Entry thread, Weekly Comp - 08/08/20 - 16/08/20 International Weekly Comp Entries 28/0 Jediboy Last post August 09, 2020, 03:20:15 PM
xx Canon EF L IS USM 500 f/4 for sale Lenses 290/6 anglefire Last post August 05, 2020, 07:48:42 AM
xx Horizons ENTRIES 27/07 - 02/08/20 International Weekly Comp Entries 271/5 Oldboy Last post August 03, 2020, 10:25:12 PM