• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,414
  • Total Topics: 5,707
  • Online today: 90
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 60
  • Total: 60
wex
Microphone Arm,Aokeo AK-4...Sennheiser Profile USB Mi...Temu £100 Coupon bundle o...Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...

What annoyed you today?

Started by greypoint, August 13, 2009, 07:52:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

greypoint

Selling my old Tamron macro lens on ebay and getting an email from the buyer saying it's not as described. Some bits of debris inside - looked clean to me - which impact on image quality. Bearing in mind his email said he had received the lens 'a moment ago' I wonder how he knew that was the case! Oh - and the AF hunts - yes, it's a a very old macro lens which was sold for not much over what they ask for the same model in manual focus - and don't most people fine tune macro manually given the tiny DOF? Oh well...I suppose I can use it as a paperweight when I get it back :-\

picsfor

but isn't hunting a feature of macro?

given what you are trying to focus on... I was under the impression that's why they recommend manually focusing for macro work!
Doesn't sound like the lens at fault - sounds like a buyer with unreasonable expectations!

My canon 100mm f2.8 is considered one of the better macro lenses and yet i still see it hunting like a mad thing when actually using it for macro!

As for stuff in the lens - only the most modern of lenses (and the most expensive) comes with sealed bodies and even then it's not guaranteed. Even the Canon 100-400 L has a reputation has a hoover for its ability to let the occasional particle or two in.

Annoyed is exactly what i would be if this happened to me!

greypoint

Hmm - I listed it as 'old version' and stated no scratches or fungus - which was true. Made no other claims for it. The manual/adaptall f2.5 ones seem to go for more than the £74 winning bid. I actually used it for some dog portrait stuff and, although the af is clunky, it worked ok as long as you used the focus limiter.I'll check it out when it comes back and re-list with an ultra cheap buy it now suggesting it's used in mf for macro 8)...just want rid of it now.

spinner

Toilets, women and lack of common sense. Seems my bride has been using the toilet as a garbage disposal. Of course it has to back up on me as I'm getting ready for work. Took me an hour with the drain snake to clear it! Rather that be counted late for work I've taken the day off.  :-[
And more, much more than this, I did it my way
Ol' blue eyes

http://ddsdigita4.wix.com/ddsdigital
https://www.flickr.com/photos/spin498/

Oldboy

The forecast Snow didn't show!  :'(

jinky

Same here OldBoy. Now that the last of the snow has gone I miss it. Back to grey old days with lousy light. Not taken a picture in days! :(

Oldboy

Quote from: jinky on January 20, 2010, 03:12:12 PM
Same here OldBoy. Now that the last of the snow has gone I miss it. Back to grey old days with lousy light. Not taken a picture in days! :(
Was out on Monday but the light was pretty bad, so only took twenty shots. All we've had today is light rain.  :(

hevans

WAMT? Well, the last week or so: we're moving offices to another part of the building. leak up in a brewery as far as the organisation is concerned.

Rather than inform us with a reasonable notice, I was sent an email last Friday afternoon (I was away on business at the time) that I'd be moved on Tuesday - previously they'd only indicated that we were going to be moved at some point before April. I finally received the email on Tuesday morning (I had taken the Monday off - a long standing engagement) at the same time the removal men came and 5 minutes before I had to go to a meeting.

Needless to say, nothing was packed, as none of us found it efficient to pack months in advance in anticipation of some vague timetable. They were a tad peeved that I wasn't all packed up and ready to be shunted about - I was gloriously peeved that they hadn't bothered to check if it was convenient for me. But then I couldn't call the organiser because they'd also shut off the phone.

Again, poor planning on someone else's part becomes an urgent activity for me.  >:(

picsfor

Royal Albert Hall seating plan as used in conjunction with its on line booking system.

We ended up with seats in the gods - and i really do mean the gods. I am absolutely terrified of heights and completely froze when i walked through the door onto the balcony with my seat.
We had gone to see the Cirque Du Soliel - and their trapeze equipment was a good 25- 50 ft lower than our seats. Heck - the dome of the roof was only a few feet above - and the inclination of the steps to the seat was a comfortable 60 degrees.

And what did they say when i couldn't move and was gripped in fear? "We've never had any one up here afraid of heights"

Really? A good century has gone by since this building opened and Albert has been dead a for a while longer. All that time, all those shows, all those performances, all those spectators and I'M the first one to be afraid of heights?
Next they'll be saying Mugabe is Africa's biggest humanitarian!

Jonathan

Yeah but admit it - Varekai is worth it.

I was up in the second circle and spent most of the show literally on the edge of my seat.
It's Guest's round

picsfor

Yeah - that close to the edge of the seat would have probably had me joining in the act  :)
You have to be honest and admit the circle is some hefty height up. I think that is the highest i've seen any seating in a theatre.

Not disputing the quality of the show - once i got to lower heights - like in the stalls. (although the total cost to our party equaled an EX580II flash gun  :tup:)
Would've loved the opportunity to photograph some those acts though - but i can understand why flash wasn't allowed.

jimthetrain

WAMT. Had some time to kill at work today so took my 40D and just the tamron 17-50 for the sole purpose of taking a pic for this weeks comp. Found the subject of the photo and pressed the shutter. Err 99. >:( It takes the photo but comes up with the error code after every shot. Taken the lens off, batteries out, cf card out only to have the error reappear after a shot. Can't try another lens until I get home tonight but a little peeved off is a slight under statement.
BOOZE!!! Helping ugly people have sex.

Hinfrance

I hope it's not serious.

What saddened me today more than angered me is that my long standing Canon iP4000 printer that we used for every day work here at Chateau Tringle has finally given up the ghost.

I had already bought the cheapo Epson to replace it, but I'll miss it.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

jimthetrain

Did a few google searches for hints and tips on error 99 and tried a few different menu settings ie. turn off auto shut down and auto sensor cleaning. Now it boots up but shutter doesn't work. :( Looks like a new shutter mechanism is needed. £150-£200. Only done about 5000 actuations. Luckily i've still got another camera so the repair will have to wait until funds are available. Unfortunately ef-s lenses don't work properly on the 1D due to the 1.3x crop factor.
BOOZE!!! Helping ugly people have sex.

greypoint

There seem to have been some quality control problems with the 40D. There have been several users on Birdforum who've had similar experiences. If it's only taken 5000 shots might be worth asking Canon if they feel that's not quite what you'd expect from a high end amateur/semi pro camera.

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=159188

Looks like someone had Canon pick up the tab out of warranty.

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.