Drone Happiness is.... Entry Th...Potato Poll 27/06 - 06/07...What made you feel good t...NUMBERS and / or LETTERS ...NUMBERS and / or LETTERS ...Happiness is.... Chat Thr...Potato - ENTRIES 27/06-5...1Dx Mk3POLL-LOUDPotato - CHAT 27/06-5/07/...LOUD-CHAT-Weekly comp 21-...LOUD-ENTRIES-Weekly comp ...Poll for Drawn from Liter...What annoyed you today?Drawn from Literature - E...

Author Topic: Dreamweaver trouble  (Read 3116 times)

picsfor

Re: Dreamweaver trouble
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2009, 07:51:24 AM »
The current standards are that tables are used for tabular data not positioning. All positioning should be done by css div's and the display and content should be separate css for display and html for content

I'm guessing i'm a bit behind with the standards then  ::)
Mind you, CSS was never something i engaged into to a great deal, but i supose i shall just have to go back and learn it all over again.
Now where's that link of Micks...

Offline Darren1978

• CC Regular visitor
    • Darren Faulkner Photos
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2009, 08:52:36 AM »
I rather stupidly volunteered to redesign my local fishing club's website for them...and I didn't have a clue about web design, not even the basics  :o

Anyway, having got myself a copy of Dreamweaver, a few books, a bit or research on the net I managed to cobble something together (chichester-as.co.uk for those of you who may like to take a look and let me know what you think ;) ) which I was rather pleased with  :)

Anyway, 'web-design' language was a complete eye opener and it took me a while to grasp the basics.  But if you were to ask me about css and html coding and how best to do it to make a site run better etc then I wouldn't know where to start!  WYSIWYG served me well  :tup:

Offline CML-1591

• Flickr
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2009, 10:36:28 AM »
on a coding side - using plain html i would ahve used a table to insert you menu options as displayed on the webpage pictured.
you've defined a page with a width of 1000 pixels which is more than acceptable nowadays.
So just insert a single line table with the columns defined to set widths and colour and then insert you links...

If memory serves CSS does it in a slightly more refined manner. Never really got into it big time though!

The current standards are that tables are used for tabular data not positioning. All positioning should be done by css div's and the display and content should be separate css for display and html for content.

Back to the OP though you can do this with a float.

In this case you have one div for the header and then one each for the left and right content so the html code would be something like

Code: [Select]
<div class="header">
<div class="header_left">
left content here
</div>
<div class"header_right">
right content here
</div>
</div>

Then your css would be something like

.header {width:1000px; height:100px;}
.header_left {width:200px; float:left;}
.header_right {width:300px; float:right;}

This would give you a 500px clear space between the two divs.

Hope this helps.

Thanks Colin, I will have to give that a shot tomorrow when i can get on dreamweaver
Landscape photography is the supreme test of the photographer - and often the supreme disappointment. - Ansel Adams,

Offline CML-1591

• Flickr
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2009, 11:24:16 AM »
on a coding side - using plain html i would ahve used a table to insert you menu options as displayed on the webpage pictured.
you've defined a page with a width of 1000 pixels which is more than acceptable nowadays.
So just insert a single line table with the columns defined to set widths and colour and then insert you links...

If memory serves CSS does it in a slightly more refined manner. Never really got into it big time though!

The current standards are that tables are used for tabular data not positioning. All positioning should be done by css div's and the display and content should be separate css for display and html for content.

Back to the OP though you can do this with a float.

In this case you have one div for the header and then one each for the left and right content so the html code would be something like

<div class="header">
<div class="header_left">
left content here
</div>
<div class"header_right">
right content here
</div>
</div>

Then your css would be something like

.header {width:1000px; height:100px;}
.header_left {width:200px; float:left;}
.header_right {width:300px; float:right;}

This would give you a 500px clear space between the two divs.

Hope this helps.

Thanks Colin, I will have to give that a shot tomorrow when i can get on dreamweaver

Will it matter that the code above is class and not id?
Landscape photography is the supreme test of the photographer - and often the supreme disappointment. - Ansel Adams,

Offline Colin

• My Woodturning
« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2009, 07:27:21 AM »
No problem if you change it to id's don't forget to change the . to # though.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2009, 07:29:23 AM by Colin »

Offline CML-1591

• Flickr
« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2009, 03:26:35 PM »
It worked!

Thanks a lot Colin!

:D
« Last Edit: November 26, 2009, 03:46:31 PM by CML-1591 »

Offline Colin

• My Woodturning
« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2009, 07:18:48 AM »
Great, mines a large one  :beer:

latest Posts

Subject Board Views/Replies Member Date & Time
xx Drone General Discussion 352/16 anglefire Last post Today at 07:20:17 AM
xx Happiness is.... Entry Thread 05/07/20 - 12/07/20 International Weekly Comp Entries 75/1 Jediboy Last post July 12, 2020, 06:06:06 PM
xx Potato Poll 27/06 - 06/07/2020 International Weekly Comp Entries 219/7 Oldboy Last post July 12, 2020, 10:11:45 AM
xx What made you feel good today General Discussion 594062/3914 anglefire Last post July 12, 2020, 08:52:15 AM
xx NUMBERS and / or LETTERS - ENTRIES 12th-19th July 2020 International Weekly Comp Entries 34/0 jinky Last post July 12, 2020, 08:27:46 AM
xx NUMBERS and / or LETTERS - CHAT 12th-19th July 2020 International Weekly Comp Entries 36/0 jinky Last post July 12, 2020, 08:26:54 AM
xx Happiness is.... Chat Thread 05/07/20 - 12/07/20 International Weekly Comp Entries 75/1 Jediboy Last post July 11, 2020, 02:14:35 PM
xx Potato - ENTRIES 27/06-5/07/20 International Weekly Comp Entries 155/3 Jediboy Last post July 06, 2020, 08:32:12 PM