STREET-CHAT-Weekly Comp 1...POLL for STREETSTREET-ENTRIES-Weekly Com...Horizons PollREFLECTIONS - Chat Threa...REFLECTIONS - Entry threa...Canon EF L IS USM 500 f/4...Horizons ENTRIES 27/07...What annoyed you today?POLL for TIME OUTTIME OUT. Chat thread wee...TIME OUT. Entry thread w...Horizons CHAT thread 2...POLL -NUMBERS and / or LE...NUMBERS and / or LETTERS ...POLL Happiness is.......

Author Topic: A new low in camera reviews?  (Read 2669 times)

Offline Jonathan

• PeopleByRyan
A new low in camera reviews?
« on: November 23, 2009, 04:17:04 PM »
One of the first serious cameras I came into contact with was the Olympus Pen.  My dad still has a couple and I kind of have a soft spot for this camera.  So I'm interested in the E-P1 despite its high price.  And then of course there the GF1.  Oooo, what's that you say Skippy?  A high profile magazine has just done an exhaustive head to head on them?  I'm all over that.

http://www.photoradar.com/reviews/buying-guides-video/olympus-pen-ep-1-vs-panasonic-dmc-gf1

Yeah.  Quite how you can review a camera (or run a head to head between 2 of them) WITHOUT TURNING THEM ON is just beyond me.  I'm not going to talk about the production quality etc of the review but seriously how could anybody watch that and go "yeah, I know which to buy now"?  And how could any editor seriously watch that and think "yeah we pitched that just about spot on for our legions of serious amateur and wannabe professional readers"?

Looks like somebody's been watching ShinyShiny and thinking "we can strip all the techie stuff out".

It's Guest's round

picsfor

Re: A new low in camera reviews?
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2009, 04:27:40 PM »
It seems to be the way with that lot nowadays.

They reviewed the 7D and said it was too expensive for a beginner and not enough spec for a pro so couldn't understand who it was marketed at. Don't suppose they've ever heard of serious ameteur or semi pro?

Then they reviewed 5 different lenses, from 5 different manufacturers, with 5 different focal lengths and purposes and 5 different budgets and concluded the best lens you could buy was an Olympus lens that only fits Olympus cameras for landscape. WTF!!!!!!!!!

That's why i don't bother with them. Only popped over because of your link!

Offline Nemesis

• CC Regular visitor
    • A Few Snapshots
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2009, 05:36:29 PM »
Yep, I saw that 'in-depth' review; why would anyone consider handling, features, functions and IQ when they buy a camera...  I'm sure Panny will be delighted with the assertion that the GF1 is the same as the Oly E-P1 but with built-in flash.
Mind you, recently I have seen in other mags first look previews of new cameras where the reviewer describes handling and performance characteristics despite (for reasons not explained) not being able to record images  ???

Offline chris@seary.com

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2009, 06:09:44 PM »
I know I sound like a record that's stuck, but I'll say it again.

If Canon unveil a camera that is very little more than an increase in the pixel count (such as the 50D), then the camera would have been turned on, we'd have seen comparisons of the resolution, actual pictures taken, lots of gushing.

The Micro 4/3 format comes out, and because it's not Canikon, no proper time is allocated to it.

Very unfair, as Olympus in particular have introduced so many things that the big two manufacturers have since adopted. I personally think that the Micro 4/3 format will take off, precisely because of the market that Olympus and Panasonic are aiming at. I hope Photoradar have to eat their words.

To be honest, I think that DC mag (and thus PhotoRadar) are totally owned by the manufacturers now. Did you see that freebie with the latest issue? More like an Argos catalog, but just for two of the camera manufacturers.

Gear of the Year? Notice all the sponsorship at the bottom. Who actually made the choices for this? Obviously bait for manufacturers, so they take out more advertising space.

It used to be a very good magazine. I've got a couple of issues from two years ago with very useful features that I still look up. It's not any good now.

Offline Mick

• I've got the latest Canon - 4 rings, double oven and eye level grill! And HD video!
  • Administrator
  • I really, really hate lawn mowers.
    • Camera Craniums
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2009, 06:40:04 PM »
Pulled them up a few times on DCM, loads of the info was wrong.  Nothing was ever done about it.  ::)

As for PR, I reckon the Software or Accessory reviews are their best work.  :)
Thank You, "Guest" For Reading This Post.

My Gallery
Tinyportal.net Running SMF 2.0.13 / Tinyportal 1.0
Guitarist Guild Running SMF 2.0.13 / Tinyportal 1.2R
The Garden Machinery Forum Running SMF 2.0.13 / Tinyportal 1.2R

Hybridphotog

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2009, 08:09:22 PM »
I'd love to view the 'review', but the video won't play for me.

Ah, wait a minute, I forgot I have to disable everything on *my* browser first, so *their* knackered website will work...ish.

... yeah yeah, that website is still faulty, and will probably remain so when it's closed down.

Offline CML-1591

• Flickr
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2009, 08:15:29 PM »
Its likes she is weight lifting.
Landscape photography is the supreme test of the photographer - and often the supreme disappointment. - Ansel Adams,

Offline spinner

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2009, 09:31:50 PM »
Now, now, you guys are just way too harsh.  ;D Young Rachel says right up front that she's doing a side by side comparison of style. There was absolutely no promise in her run up to comparing photo capability and really why should she. Clearly pr is a style mag not a photo mag.  ::)
And more, much more than this, I did it my way
Ol' blue eyes

http://ddsdigita4.wix.com/ddsdigital
https://www.flickr.com/photos/spin498/

Offline Jonathan

• PeopleByRyan
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2009, 07:52:09 AM »
Young Rachel says right up front that she's doing a side by side comparison of style.

She said "style first".  Maybe there's a second video where they consider which will play the best games by looking at page 2 of the spec sheet.

"Well the DMC-GF1 does have an additional viewfinder but it doesn't look very nice....the EP-1 has anti shake which might be genuinely useful".  FFS.
It's Guest's round

Offline ABERS

• Black and White Images by Alan Abercrombie
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2009, 08:24:14 AM »
Well that for me reveals just that what I've thought of DCM and Pradar is spot on. All froth and no substance. This video  purely panders to those that think a camera is a fashion accessory rather than a tool. It really plumbs the depths of the photographic journalistic 'profession'.

Offline Jonathan

• PeopleByRyan
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2009, 09:55:07 AM »
Believe it or not, it gets worse.

They have just posted a "review" of the Olympus EP-2.  http://www.photoradar.com/news/video/olympus-pen-ep-2-hands-on-review-video

It's a hard hitting, in depth review exploring all the features and challenging some of the design ideas behind this eccentric model.  Or it would be if
1. They actually TURNED IT ON
2. It wasn't done by Mark Thackara - who, err, you know, err, works for Olympus.  Can't wait to see what he thinks of the Panasonic rival......

The only savign grace is that the AP's video chat with Mark is even worse.  But at elast they don't have the gall to call it a review.

http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk/news/Olympus_Mirrorless_cameras_are_the_future_news_291805.html
It's Guest's round

Offline nickt

• nick.thompson photography
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2009, 01:48:18 PM »
Considering his position with the company, he doesn't seem to know when the new lenses etc are coming out. As for the AP one, too much background noise. Couldn't be bothered to listen to it after 30 secs.

Nick

Offline spinner

« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2009, 07:03:49 PM »
Well that for me reveals just that what I've thought of DCM and Pradar is spot on. All froth and no substance. This video  purely panders to those that think a camera is a fashion accessory rather than a tool. It really plumbs the depths of the photographic journalistic 'profession'.

That's the new standard isn't it? Just look at the newest crop of celebs. All style, no substance.  :'(
And more, much more than this, I did it my way
Ol' blue eyes

http://ddsdigita4.wix.com/ddsdigital
https://www.flickr.com/photos/spin498/

Offline Oldboy

« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2009, 09:08:42 PM »

That's the new standard isn't it? Just look at the newest crop of celebs. All style, no substance.  :'(

:2funny: :2funny: :2funny:

Offline magicrhodes

« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2009, 12:25:42 PM »

And sometimes the style is lacking!

latest Posts

Subject Board Views/Replies Member Date & Time
xx STREET-CHAT-Weekly Comp 1/8-9/8/2020 International Weekly Comp Entries 158/5 Jediboy Last post Today at 11:55:14 AM
question POLL for STREET International Weekly Comp Entries 64/0 Hinfrance Last post August 11, 2020, 08:10:27 AM
xx STREET-ENTRIES-Weekly Comp 1/8-9/8/2020 International Weekly Comp Entries 186/4 Jediboy Last post August 10, 2020, 06:57:54 PM
xx Horizons Poll International Weekly Comp Entries 233/4 anglefire Last post August 09, 2020, 04:51:11 PM
xx REFLECTIONS - Chat Thread, Weekly Comp - 08/08/20 - 16/08/20 International Weekly Comp Entries 74/2 Jediboy Last post August 09, 2020, 03:31:50 PM
xx REFLECTIONS - Entry thread, Weekly Comp - 08/08/20 - 16/08/20 International Weekly Comp Entries 26/0 Jediboy Last post August 09, 2020, 03:20:15 PM
xx Canon EF L IS USM 500 f/4 for sale Lenses 289/6 anglefire Last post August 05, 2020, 07:48:42 AM
xx Horizons ENTRIES 27/07 - 02/08/20 International Weekly Comp Entries 271/5 Oldboy Last post August 03, 2020, 10:25:12 PM