Canon EF L IS USM 500 f/4...Horizons PollHorizons ENTRIES 27/07...What annoyed you today?STREET-ENTRIES-Weekly Com...STREET-CHAT-Weekly Comp 1...POLL for TIME OUTTIME OUT. Chat thread wee...TIME OUT. Entry thread w...Horizons CHAT thread 2...POLL -NUMBERS and / or LE...NUMBERS and / or LETTERS ...POLL Happiness is.......Nice houseHappiness is.... Entry Th...Happiness is.... Chat Thr...

Author Topic: How do you share your photographs?  (Read 3205 times)

Offline chris@seary.com

How do you share your photographs?
« on: November 20, 2009, 10:16:54 PM »
I started with DC mag. However, this doesn't seem to be progressing very well since the PhotoRadar transition, but it's early days    ;)

Then I moved on to flickr (http://www.flickr.com/photos/10180242@N02/). I'm a big fan of flickr, as it is such a rich source of creativity. I think the tag and group basis of photographs encourages more direction in people's work. Rather than just taking a picture, people look at fulfilling criteria, kind of like photo assignments.

However, it seems that, just as Second Life is dying (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/8367957.stm), so are lots of my contacts moving from flickr to FaceBook. The new mediums are quite transitory, I think.

I'm quite uncertain about Facebook - I have an account, but I don't do very much with it - I'm concerned about security, and see it as quite a trivial fashion which maybe won't last long.

What do the rest of you do?

Offline Alfonso_Frisk

• Global Moderator
    • http://www.flickr.com/photos/nosmo_king2007/
    • My Shipping images
Re: How do you share your photographs?
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2009, 10:32:59 PM »
More or less the same as you Chris.  I do like some functions in Flickr, but one or two of the groups I joined have become stale and a little clique.
I obviously spend a lot of time in here but the gallery still bugs me as shots soon drop off the front page so its easy to miss some great photography.

I just cant abide the mess at photoradar. Its really a step backwards from what they had but I suspect this is what they wanted, a fresh start combining 2 mags and a chance to court people new to photography and bugger the old member group. Good luck to them but IMHO it will be dead in the water within 12 months as Practical photography and ephotozine etc have the far more user friendly sites.
RR
Alf
http://www.fluidr.com/photos/nosmo_king2007
http://www.seateamimages.com/search.php
Wine improves with age, The older I get the more I like it.

Offline anglefire

• Canon Biggamist. Three bodies and some lenses. :) - Sold my 1DMk3
  • Canon Owner and Proud of it :)
    • Mark Colston Photography
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2009, 10:35:57 PM »
I have some photos on Flickr - but don't really like it - I see a lot of users commenting on images with links to other groups and rarely get any sensible comments.

I have a facebook account - and like you Chris, don't use it much.

I have my own website, which i put a lot of photo's on, not sure how many actually look, but I'm frankly not bothered too much - I can set it up so that I can sell photo, which I have done with some of the motorsport galleries, but didn't get much interest - which seems typical of motorsport photography!

Apart from on here, where users do comment, the best place for constructive comments I've found is http://photography-on-the.net/forum/ - I posted three shots on the glamour/nude area of the site and had several comments and about 3500 views in a week!
----------------------------------
Mark
* A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odourless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Offline Alfonso_Frisk

• Global Moderator
    • My Shipping images
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2009, 10:41:53 PM »
Tut Tut Mark
a link for canon users only :spam: :spam: :spam: :2funny:

Offline anglefire

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2009, 10:45:09 PM »
Sorry, yes I should have said that, though some members do use Nikon's etc...... Though I think that is cos they're jealous  :2funny:
Mark
* A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odourless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Offline Alfonso_Frisk

• Global Moderator
    • My Shipping images
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2009, 10:52:15 PM »
LOL- word filter is a cracking tool

Offline anglefire

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2009, 10:54:30 PM »
LOL- word filter is a cracking tool

You mean moderator fingers? Tut tut  >:(
Mark

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Offline greypoint

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2009, 11:15:42 PM »
I use flickr for most things. It's the easiest way to share event photos and i like having sets of pictures, as many as I want, just as a record. Used to do the whole group and contact thing but it gets a bit wearing after as while. I enjoy going through the stats for my snaps and seeing which web sites they've been used on too - I found out why one particular Rottweiler had so many views - it's been adapted as an avatar! I've got a web site but have'nt updated it for ages - must try to remember the password  ::)
I did put s few pics on DCM some time ago but it was just too slow and I could'nt be bothered searching for other peoples photos to look at. Have'nt tried the PR gallery - life's too short!
Oh yes - I do have a Facebook account because it's easier to look for things if you do - it has my name and nothing else - no friends, no details, no photos....perhaps it's another of those age things..... 8)

Offline nickt

• nick.thompson photography
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2009, 12:46:49 AM »
I use this site and ephotozine. I've stopped using flickr as no-one looks or comments on my photos! There's me thinking I've improved!. I think the problem with flickr is that there are so many people on it uploading photos that it's quite easy for your image to get off the front page quickly. Consequently no-one sees them, unless you're a 'star' and known and people search for you. It just seems strange that I get veiws and and positive comments on CC and ephotozine but not on flickr. I've also got a website and try to tell as many peolple as possible about it.
Nick
« Last Edit: November 21, 2009, 12:51:57 AM by nickt »

picsfor

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2009, 07:15:16 AM »
Pretty much on here or Flickr.

Though i am looking at doing something with Clickpic - more because i was want to keep things in a single point of access.
I'm currently working on streamlining my photograph work flow so i can spend more of my time 'behind' the camera than in front of the computer.

Offline greypoint

« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2009, 08:34:26 AM »
I think the number of views you get on flickr is dependent on either how much time you put into building up contacts and joining groups and commenting, or the type of photos you upload. If you manage to be found by those who like your style or subject matter you'll be seen a lot if you don't strike lucky then there are so many uploads it's easy to be missed. I've got a contact from America who does some amazing macro and bird shots but does'nt get the exposure he deserves because he just does'nt bother with groups etc.The main reason I've got quite a lot of photos with hundreds and in some cases 1-2000 plus views is nothing to do with  the quality but rather the fact that there are an amazing number of people who search for Rottweiler, Norfolk Terrier, Sussex Spaniel, Chocolate Labrador etc. and I've been lucky enough to be able to photograph a large number of different dog breeds and they show up on Google,Yahoo etc. This points to another of those facts that although pictures of dogs are often regarded as boring and unimportant when viewed alongside people. landscape etc amongst photographers, there's probably more of a market for them than many other subjects.

picsfor

« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2009, 08:40:47 AM »
So what you're saying is if you want to get loads of comments on Flickr treat it like an image library?

I think i'm attached to about 6 groups but that's more because it gives me a simple access point to pictures that have an interest to me, or contains peers that i look up to 'photographically' speaking. 

Offline greypoint

« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2009, 08:52:30 AM »
What I mean is, you get out of it what you put in. As i said before, I find it useful because it's so easy to use and has unlimited space so I can add a whole load of photos from dog shows/agility etc. and the owners of the featured dogs or other interested onlookers can check them out quickly and easily. I used to add all sorts of photos to various groups but got a bit bored with it so mainly just use a few breed specific groups like the one dedicated to Pointers - another thing I like about flickr is the fact there's a group for almost everything! I've also got a collection with sets from all the different cameras and a number of lenses I've used which some people seem to find useful. With most sites, like on here, it's more of a community/sharing thing where you view each others pictures and hopefully comment or discuss - as flickr is just a big commercial undertaking you can simply upload your shots and that's it or join in and treat it as a community - it's up to you.

Offline Sarasocke

• my flickr
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2009, 09:07:51 AM »
I mostly use flickr nowadays too, and here of course.
I used to have some pics in the old DCM gallery but haven't bothered with PR, as I don't see much point.

I was actually only introduced to flickr when I joined DCM, (remember Sue?) up to then I'd always used Picasa. I still do if I just want to show a batch of photos from an event, which are not particularly inspiring for those not directly concerned.

Like Sue I now have a net of groups and contacts which do result in some comments. Even those groups with "post one comment two" kind of thing are OK as the standard of photograph seems to be quite high and I enjoy looking through them. Really useful are the camera or town specific groups, like the D80 group - I've learned quite a bit about my camera through that. I've even managed to find a Frankfurt Meet group and also belong to Sheffield and Cornwall groups. These groups are a bit like mini Forums. I do enter a few competitions too, gets the brain working and it's interesting to see who get most votes.
Carol aka Sarasocke 
My Gallery

Offline bones615

« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2009, 10:14:45 AM »
I recently joined Flickr but find I spend lots of time just looking through other peoples stuff for inspiration, I found a bird ID group that is very good & they identified some bird pics for me very quickly so i could add titles to my images.
Also use my Windows Live account for stuff i want to share with family & friends (summer bbq, friends wedding etc) it allows 25gb free & they can download full size files from a shared folder on my "skydrive".

Simon

latest Posts

Subject Board Views/Replies Member Date & Time
xx Canon EF L IS USM 500 f/4 for sale Lenses 203/6 anglefire Last post August 05, 2020, 07:48:42 AM
xx Horizons Poll International Weekly Comp Entries 75/0 jinky Last post August 04, 2020, 10:13:43 AM
xx Horizons ENTRIES 27/07 - 02/08/20 International Weekly Comp Entries 233/5 Oldboy Last post August 03, 2020, 10:25:12 PM
xx What annoyed you today? General Discussion 636055/3972 Jediboy Last post August 03, 2020, 02:13:31 PM
question STREET-ENTRIES-Weekly Comp 1/8-9/8/2020 International Weekly Comp Entries 56/0 Hinfrance Last post August 01, 2020, 04:09:00 PM
smiley STREET-CHAT-Weekly Comp 1/8-9/8/2020 International Weekly Comp Entries 41/0 Hinfrance Last post August 01, 2020, 04:05:33 PM
xx POLL for TIME OUT International Weekly Comp Entries 195/3 Hinfrance Last post August 01, 2020, 01:04:50 PM
xx TIME OUT. Chat thread weekly comp. International Weekly Comp Entries 235/4 Jediboy Last post July 27, 2020, 11:31:15 PM