POLL for STREETSTREET-CHAT-Weekly Comp 1...STREET-ENTRIES-Weekly Com...Horizons PollREFLECTIONS - Chat Threa...REFLECTIONS - Entry threa...Canon EF L IS USM 500 f/4...Horizons ENTRIES 27/07...What annoyed you today?POLL for TIME OUTTIME OUT. Chat thread wee...TIME OUT. Entry thread w...Horizons CHAT thread 2...POLL -NUMBERS and / or LE...NUMBERS and / or LETTERS ...POLL Happiness is.......

Author Topic: Mounting Photos  (Read 2967 times)

Offline Treehugga

• Fotoviva Art Prints
Mounting Photos
« on: November 04, 2009, 12:54:58 PM »
Can some kind soul advise me on how best to mount a print? I'm looking at an A4 print in a 16x12 mount with a backing board. I presume the 'mount' is the card frame with bevel inner edge? Can anyone recommend a UK supplier for these, maybe even an ebay seller? Would I use double sided tape or glue to stick the image to the backing board? How does the backing board fix to the mount?

Questions questions, some no doubt sound dumb but I've never done this before! Canvas prints and acrylics yes, but simple mounts I've never tried  ???

Offline Malcolm1938

Re: Mounting Photos
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2009, 01:15:48 PM »
Look at THESE .

They do the 16x12 mounts cut for 12x8 but will do them for A4 in quantities from 5 up. The quality is superb and if you buy the bags they are crystal clear and give great protection to your print/mount until they are framed.

I've never asked but I expect they would send you samples of a standard size at cost plus postage.

FKA CannOffice
Too old to die young
Every day is a good day - if you wake up....

My Gallery

Offline Alfonso_Frisk

• Global Moderator
    • http://www.flickr.com/photos/nosmo_king2007/
    • My Shipping images
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2009, 01:25:26 PM »
Questions questions, some no doubt sound dumb but I've never done this before! Canvas prints and acrylics yes, but simple mounts I've never tried  ???

Youve done your own canvas and perspex??
Would make a nice thread on how and with what etc etc
I for one would be interested
http://www.fluidr.com/photos/nosmo_king2007
http://www.seateamimages.com/search.php
Wine improves with age, The older I get the more I like it.

Offline Treehugga

• Fotoviva Art Prints
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2009, 01:32:29 PM »
Thanks CannOffice, I'll give them a call.

Alfonso, sorry may have mislead you there. I run a company that prints photos onto canvas and also do acrylic mounts. I do the website stuff so haven't personally made any of the prints. However, we do canvas prints for several photographers so if you need anything give me a holler.

I was looking to sell a few of my own as mounts because they seem pretty cheap to produce.

Offline ABERS

• Black and White Images by Alan Abercrombie
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2009, 01:53:54 PM »

Offline Treehugga

• Fotoviva Art Prints
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2009, 02:25:39 PM »
Cheers Abers,

That brings another question up - what do you use for a hanging fixing? I assume just a small hook would be required as the prints would be lightweight but how would they attach to the back of the board? Obviously it has to be quite flush so the print does not sit on an angle on the wall.

skellum

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2009, 04:02:28 PM »
This is how I mount prints economically.

I use a product from Hobby Craft called " Hinging Tape " .  ( This product does not shrink or dry up ) First I place a piece of the tape to the top of the print, then position the mount over the top of the print and once in place secure it with slight pressure, turn it over and apply a small amount of tape to the bottom of the print.

Next I cut a piece of white card to fit the back of the mount leaving about 15mm all round to accommodate the " Hinging tape " all around the edge.

Thats it ready to frame.

If anyone knows where I can get this tape other than Hobby Craft please let me know. ....... :legit:
« Last Edit: November 04, 2009, 04:27:27 PM by skellum ( Dave ) »

Offline ABERS

• Black and White Images by Alan Abercrombie
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2009, 04:23:16 PM »
I assume you are not framing the finished article? It depends what the surface is on which you need to fix the print.

If it's a material base, double sided Velcro works well, it does however leave a residue on both the print and the surface. Small sticky buds do the same thing, I think they are made by 3M W H Smith sell those round our way.

Another way is to use small cable clips, like the telelphone wire ones. These don't harm the print but leave a hole in the wall!

skellum

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2009, 04:45:39 PM »
You could attach string to the back of the mount using the said " Hinging Tape " as below.  .... :legit:

Offline Treehugga

• Fotoviva Art Prints
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2009, 04:50:58 PM »
Thanks for the photos Dave  :tup:

Nope, not framing the finished article, it's purely meant to be an affordable piece of art. Sticky buds sound good.

I imagine if you bought the board and matting in say packs of 10 you could have the whole article done quite cheaply but still looking good. Just looking to see what ebay have to offer...

Offline greypoint

« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2009, 06:03:48 PM »
These are good value. I've bought and been satisfied with the quality and service
http://shop.ebay.co.uk/kraftybay-mounts/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=&_trksid=p4340

Offline SimonW

• Dunning Parish Historical Society
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2009, 06:07:56 PM »
My local art shop sells A1 sized mount board in a wide range of colours, and a special cutter with a 45 degree blade for the bevel which cost £20 or so. It's really easy to use, and if you cut your own you can mount photos you've cropped to any odd sizes.

I find if I cut the board to make four A3 sheets and use them for A4 photos, the resulting leftover A4 bits can be further used to mount 5x7 prints for example. Then my wife uses the 5x7 leftovers for her dolls house stuff. No waste!

For fixing I'm using masking tape - a more expensive version than normal which doesn't dry out so quickly. But it's not ideal so I'd like something better. No Hobby Craft in easy reach though.

Simon Warren
(in Dunning, Scotland)

Offline Jonathan

• PeopleByRyan
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2009, 06:20:12 PM »
Just a guess, but people might be using masking tape because it looks like the stuff framers use.  Mostly they use framers' tape ;)  This is similar to masking tape but (1) it's acid free and so "archival" (2) it doesn't dry out and make your pictures fall apart after a while.

I get it either from my frame makers or (if I run out) from my local art shop.  They are also online.

For hanging light pictures, lots of people rave about "command strips" from 3M.
It's Guest's round

skellum

« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2009, 06:29:11 PM »
I use the Hinging Tape because its white and blends in with the white card I use plus its acid free and won't dry out like masking tape........ :legit:

Offline greypoint

« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2009, 08:12:21 AM »
I've been getting a load of mounted prints ready for our last charity dog show of the year next week. Mainly A4 to fit a 14 x 11 frame and 8 x 6. However, I've got a load of A4 mounts that are an odd size framewise so not really suitable to sell for framing [unless you really want to annoy someone!]. This has given me food for thought as I had'nt considered offering the mounted print with suitable hanging device as an end product so to speak. I've just done a trial laminating the print before mounting to protect it and make it possible to keep it clean. Looks pretty good so it might be a way of using up the odd size mounts!

latest Posts

Subject Board Views/Replies Member Date & Time
question POLL for STREET International Weekly Comp Entries 56/0 Hinfrance Last post August 11, 2020, 08:10:27 AM
xx STREET-CHAT-Weekly Comp 1/8-9/8/2020 International Weekly Comp Entries 127/3 Jediboy Last post August 10, 2020, 06:59:38 PM
xx STREET-ENTRIES-Weekly Comp 1/8-9/8/2020 International Weekly Comp Entries 178/4 Jediboy Last post August 10, 2020, 06:57:54 PM
xx Horizons Poll International Weekly Comp Entries 225/4 anglefire Last post August 09, 2020, 04:51:11 PM
xx REFLECTIONS - Chat Thread, Weekly Comp - 08/08/20 - 16/08/20 International Weekly Comp Entries 66/2 Jediboy Last post August 09, 2020, 03:31:50 PM
xx REFLECTIONS - Entry thread, Weekly Comp - 08/08/20 - 16/08/20 International Weekly Comp Entries 24/0 Jediboy Last post August 09, 2020, 03:20:15 PM
xx Canon EF L IS USM 500 f/4 for sale Lenses 277/6 anglefire Last post August 05, 2020, 07:48:42 AM
xx Horizons ENTRIES 27/07 - 02/08/20 International Weekly Comp Entries 269/5 Oldboy Last post August 03, 2020, 10:25:12 PM