POLL for STREETSTREET-CHAT-Weekly Comp 1...STREET-ENTRIES-Weekly Com...Horizons PollREFLECTIONS - Chat Threa...REFLECTIONS - Entry threa...Canon EF L IS USM 500 f/4...Horizons ENTRIES 27/07...What annoyed you today?POLL for TIME OUTTIME OUT. Chat thread wee...TIME OUT. Entry thread w...Horizons CHAT thread 2...POLL -NUMBERS and / or LE...NUMBERS and / or LETTERS ...POLL Happiness is.......

Author Topic: DCM (now PR) weekly competition  (Read 3251 times)

Offline Forseti

DCM (now PR) weekly competition
« on: October 30, 2009, 10:16:10 AM »
For those interested, Amy over on the PhotoRadar site has this morning posted this comment:

"Hi everyone,

We've decided to trial the capability of posting 30 images per post to allow you guys to get on with your competition, however we will keep an eye on this and if spamming/flooding does start to occur we'll have to reduce the number back down again - so be good ;-)

Enjoy!

Amy"

Canon 7D,  Canon SX1 IS, EF100 f/2.8 USM Macro, EF70-200 f/4 L IS USM, EF17-40 f/4 L USM, Sigma 50mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM, Canon Speedlite 580EX MkII

"Everyone can take a great picture with digital, the knack is to take two" - David Bailey

Offline oRGie

Re: DCM (now PR) weekly competition
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2009, 10:26:39 AM »
lol, somewhat missed the boat me thinks  :beer:

Offline Jonathan

• PeopleByRyan
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2009, 10:39:34 AM »
FTW.

The most active part of their site and the one that gets them more hits than anything else......and they are seeing if they can consider accommodating you as long as you don't behave like naughty children?

I vote Mick should host it here instead ;)

Or if people want a dedicated comp site and are prepared to use it regularly then I could set something up in a week or two.
It's Guest's round

Offline Oldboy

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2009, 10:56:17 AM »
I can't see the problem that they seem to think might happen. The only time DCM was hit it wasn't by uploading a vast number of pictures!  :doh:

Also, it appears the PR site is still on BST and not GMT. It has been pointed out quite a few times but they say it's not wrong!  >:(

Offline Mick

• I've got the latest Canon - 4 rings, double oven and eye level grill! And HD video!
  • Administrator
  • I really, really hate lawn mowers.
    • Camera Craniums
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2009, 06:36:50 PM »
FTW.

I vote Mick should host it here instead ;)

Jonathan, I did offer ages ago.  And last time DCM got hacked the weekend comp came over here for a week or so.   As for PR, they should have done this weeks ago, but who am I to argue.  Seems they soon altered this today after I pointed them to the admin controls.  (maybe a coincidence) :D

As Oldboy pointed out, the last time they had a problem it was the attack of the pirates.  They posted about 600 posts in an hour, and left me to clean it up.  Had nothing to do with any of the comp threads though.  ::)
Thank You, "Guest" For Reading This Post.

My Gallery
Tinyportal.net Running SMF 2.0.13 / Tinyportal 1.0
Guitarist Guild Running SMF 2.0.13 / Tinyportal 1.2R
The Garden Machinery Forum Running SMF 2.0.13 / Tinyportal 1.2R

Offline wendoureecat

• CC Regular visitor
    • Art Thru A Lens
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2009, 07:40:02 PM »
Cant we just run a weekend comp and not worry about PR. It is a free world and they cant really stop it.

Offline oRGie

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2009, 07:46:33 PM »
Cant we just run a weekend comp and not worry about PR. It is a free world and they cant really stop it.

We do, slightly modified to a weekly comp ;) and extended to the much posher International Weekly Comp  :beer:

Most of the people who started the weekly comp at DCM are members here now anyway lol

imho its worked out quite well, you get so many numpties on dcm/pr just clicking cos of the mag, post a daft question and never return, we can visit there whenever, if PR peeps ever get it right, I doubt it, but if they do great, we will allways have this retreat when the numpties get too much  :legit:

picsfor

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2009, 08:09:24 PM »
Judging by the problems some people have submitting to the weekly competition due to family, work and other time constraints i think a weekend comp will be hard to get going successfully.

If it were to be added to the calender of this site then i would certainly look at taking part as much as i have started to take part in the weekly competition.

As for Jonathan setting up a compy site - i would only participate if T&C's demand that we sign over any rights to Jonathan - i  mean anything less would be doing himself down when you consider what the other sites are doing  ;D
« Last Edit: October 30, 2009, 09:30:26 PM by picsfor »

Offline Sarasocke

• my flickr
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2009, 08:42:58 PM »
I enjoy participating in the competition here and up to pres have been taking part (most weeks) in the weekend comp over at flickr.
If that continues at flickr, I won't be taking part in anything at PR, maybe wouldn't anyway  ;)

I guess Mick will just have to put up with us here  :legit:
Carol aka Sarasocke 
My Gallery

Offline wendoureecat

• CC Regular visitor
    • Art Thru A Lens
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2009, 07:58:31 AM »
Well I am sure Mick wont mind us all being here. Am aware there is the weekly comp.........I just need more hours in the day........and a holiday wouldnt go astray  :'(

Offline greypoint

« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2009, 08:42:50 AM »
Bearing in mind the time constraints on the competition, a lot of the entries over on flickr beat many of those in a certain other competition short list in terms of quality and originality ::)

picsfor

« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2009, 11:02:57 PM »
Really? You mean PRadar does not have such a good selection as Flickr?

Can't understand it - they're the definitive in digital photography  ::)

Offline Oldboy

« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2009, 11:06:45 PM »
Really? You mean PRadar does not have such a good selection as Flickr?

Can't understand it - they're the definitive in digital photography  ::)

You're right there, as Jessops support them and we all know how good they are at selling cameras!  8)

skellum

« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2009, 12:29:17 AM »

We do, slightly modified to a weekly comp ;) and extended to the much posher International Weekly Comp  :beer:

Most of the people who started the weekly comp at DCM are members here now anyway lol

imho its worked out quite well, you get so many numpties on dcm/pr just clicking cos of the mag, post a daft question and never return, we can visit there whenever, if PR peeps ever get it right, I doubt it, but if they do great, we will allways have this retreat when the numpties get too much  :legit:

I see Craniums as a site suitable for everyone from beginner to professional  because it it not linked to any media organization and it is kept going through the genuine enthusiastic individuals submitting their posts, pictures, and comment on general stuff etc and hopefully helping each other along the way.

We had the weekend competition debate a while ago and the majority opted for the present format which I personally am now happy with,  but its up to you the members to decide whether there should be a " Weekend Competition " and who would organise it.

Hopefully it would not effect the present competition which will ultimately have the first  " Annual International Cranium Award " by next August.

Not so long ago Mick was thinking of throwing in the towel  but fortunately he has paid for another year. So why not think as Craniums as home and not a retreat. Why worry about a place we used to live in ( your more welcome here and your comments are not ignored or sneered at as may happen in a so called " photographic " media publishing office ).

Next week if you like we could have  " Top tips " on how to take autum pictures with a camera no one in there right mind would buy then get an " Expert " in to tell us where we all went wrong ! ;)..... :) :).. :legit:
« Last Edit: November 02, 2009, 03:30:51 AM by skellum ( Dave ) »

Offline greypoint

« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2009, 06:50:45 AM »
There is obviously some lure or kudos in using a large [?] commercial site. The old competition appears to have been kept going by a few enthusiasts over on flickr but not everyone wants a flickr account and it's forum capabilities are a bit limited. It remains to be seen if the T & Cs on PR will make any difference to the entries. It also remains to be seen if resurrecting the old competition will make any difference to participation here or whether this site will have just been seen as an in between option until the old comp returns to PR. The pros and cons of the new PR site have been chewed over a good deal already. There are those still trying to turn it into  an online community but it still fails to attract the kind of discussion and banter the old site had in its heyday. Possibly those of us who have been told if we don't like it to £$&^"! off have decided to do so - although some of those who offered the suggestion seem to have taken their own advice too! Perhaps everyone who wants to see this site continue to flourish and grow could make a resolution, when time allows, to do more commenting and adding to the forums.......member profiles seems to have died a death.... ::)

latest Posts

Subject Board Views/Replies Member Date & Time
question POLL for STREET International Weekly Comp Entries 40/0 Hinfrance Last post Today at 08:10:27 AM
xx STREET-CHAT-Weekly Comp 1/8-9/8/2020 International Weekly Comp Entries 120/3 Jediboy Last post August 10, 2020, 06:59:38 PM
xx STREET-ENTRIES-Weekly Comp 1/8-9/8/2020 International Weekly Comp Entries 173/4 Jediboy Last post August 10, 2020, 06:57:54 PM
xx Horizons Poll International Weekly Comp Entries 218/4 anglefire Last post August 09, 2020, 04:51:11 PM
xx REFLECTIONS - Chat Thread, Weekly Comp - 08/08/20 - 16/08/20 International Weekly Comp Entries 60/2 Jediboy Last post August 09, 2020, 03:31:50 PM
xx REFLECTIONS - Entry thread, Weekly Comp - 08/08/20 - 16/08/20 International Weekly Comp Entries 20/0 Jediboy Last post August 09, 2020, 03:20:15 PM
xx Canon EF L IS USM 500 f/4 for sale Lenses 269/6 anglefire Last post August 05, 2020, 07:48:42 AM
xx Horizons ENTRIES 27/07 - 02/08/20 International Weekly Comp Entries 268/5 Oldboy Last post August 03, 2020, 10:25:12 PM