POLL - Home and GardenHOME AND GARDEN - Weekly ...HOME AND GARDEN - Weekly ...FOOD PHOTOGRAPHY CHAT - 5...POLL - Something good, We...FOOD PHOTOGRAPHY ENTRIES ...What annoyed you today?What made you feel good t...SOMETHING GOOD - Weekly C...SOMETHING GOOD - Weekly C...Poll - Stuck at HomeJoke of the day ENTRIES Stuck at Home 17...CHAT -Stuck at Home 17-22...LIQUID- POLLLIQUID - Chat thread week...

Author Topic: PYO POTY  (Read 1682 times)

Offline ABERS

• Black and White Images by Alan Abercrombie
PYO POTY
« on: October 28, 2009, 07:44:37 AM »
As is my habit I've just been drinking my early morning cuppa and perusing what's been happening in the world, and noticed that Pradar have posted the shortlists for their POTY competition.

There are one or two stunning images there and some that are what I would call general run of the mill club photography, and then again some, perhaps a lot, that I feel don't fit the brief that has been set, anyway that's bye the bye.

If you have a look at the images, where do you think the overall winner will come from?

My bet is Hong Kong.

What's yours?

Offline greypoint

Re: PYO POTY
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2009, 08:13:26 AM »
Unless they take a different stance this year my bet would also be Hong Kong - that would be the predictable choice - either of the two people shots next to each other. My total disgust is the This is Britain section. The selection, with two or three exceptions, is totally skewed to the bad side - the filth, litter, drunken yob, seedy side exists. of course it does and needs to be represented. But it's only part of Britain just as it is of all countries. I'm not saying there should have been a load of chocolate box type shots of the Lake District etc. but I thnk this selection is a farce - unless all the UK photographers went for the gritty side! Some nice shots in the natural world section but only a few real stunners. I love the Icelandic ponies. Looked at the first page of the Fashion shots and that was enough to re-inforce my innate boredom and dislike of that type of photography - clever and good I'm sure but just seems so sterile. Landscapes predictably easy on the eye. Perhaps we should have a book on who wins photo of the year - I refuse to call someone who may have struck lucky just once photographer of the year ::)

Offline Oldboy

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2009, 10:10:14 AM »
I hate to say it but could be the rain forest picture, which I quite like!  :tup:

The thing that I don't understand, is the titles which some of the people have give their photos?  :doh:

picsfor

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2009, 10:12:24 AM »
Some super pictures selected - but also some rather ordinary ones.
That sounds awful - as though i have room to talk.
For a picture of the year i would expect significantly better than some of those selected. I've seen a lot better listed in the galleries on this site than a significant number of those selected there.

Not quite sure who will win - as has been said on many an occasion - you can't trust judges to think logically.
With regards to this years winner being from Hong Kong - is there a reason why you would think that other than the experience of judges?

Offline greypoint

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2009, 10:30:08 AM »
Winner from Hong Kong? Not sure if my reasoning is the same as Abers but the overall winner is normally a portrait/people shot. The judges seem to have a predeliction for a certain type of subject and there are 2 from Hong Kong [priests in red robes and old man - images next to each other] which seem to fit the bill perfectly. No quibble about the quality of either by the way.

Offline ABERS

• Black and White Images by Alan Abercrombie
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2009, 11:38:45 AM »
I think the Priests is the front runner, but there is another Hong Konger ,which I can't be bothered to search for, it depicts some oxen being driven up a hill. Nice lighting.
I see the professional, or reputed professionals have come out to play!

Offline Jonathan

• PeopleByRyan
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2009, 11:49:26 AM »
Just took a look and as expected there's some mighty fine work there.  Do the rules allow professionals?  I'm a little suspicious of how much equipment some of the fashion shots took....

There are also as always some pretty rubbish snapshots.  Mainly in the "This is Britain" section.  And probably others - I got bored.

But the presentation is absolutely terrible.  Is this the best PR can do?  Long scrolly page plastered with noisy adverts with tall narrow verticals and short narrow horizontals.  Just shameful.  I actually got bored of going through page after page even though most of the pics are fabulous.  I was also puzzled why some categories had 7 pages of "short"list and some had 3.

BTW I also took a glance at the forums......looks like the team have abandoned them just like everyone else.
It's Guest's round

Offline greypoint

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2009, 12:26:18 PM »
I think much of the This is Britain selection may come from someone who really likes the work of Martin Parr :D

Offline Graham

« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2009, 04:59:56 PM »
   "Pradar"!  :2funny:  Why did'nt I think of that?....You know Prada! (Come on, keep up!)
             Graham. :)
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. 

My Gallery
My Flickr Pics

Offline hevans

• Sigh....why me again??
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2009, 05:04:46 PM »
I love the way that there is always a "message" that has to be portrayed, particularly in the "look at Britain" section.

So many have to reflect a social statement about how crap the country is, no-one seems to have the imagination to look beyond the odd bit of litter/drunken orgies/police protest and see the natural beauty of the country and its people.

How about the RNLI, St. John's ambulance services, etc. etc. etc. that day in day out sacrifice for the common good. Trust me, that doesn't come naturally to most other cultures. The UK is one of the few countries where people even consider charity - all those collectors out in the rain on a Saturday. The architectural achievements, the last night of the proms, the rolling hills,

If the same competition had been held in NL, there would have been photos of windmills, cheese that bounces, the Zwarte-Piets, Sint, women in traditional clothing, etc. etc. There wouldn't have been shots of the down and outs in Amsterdam, or the red light district, or the coffee shops, the drug users (could have some nice shots around A'dam station of the druggies shooting up in public), or the other various disreputable aspects of NL.

Sigh...

Offline magicrhodes

« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2009, 09:07:54 AM »
There are some good one in the This is Britain, as a recently ex-youngster there is space for a showing of partying youth. However there is an obsession with highlighting the bad in the youth of today, a torch carried by The Daily Mail, it would be good to see the youth of today portrayed in a more positive light. There are a lot of them out there doing good, moe so than doing bad. it is just depressing how pictures of bad behaviour sell better than good behaviour!

Offline greypoint

« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2009, 09:48:20 AM »
i would'nt disagree that there are some very good photos in the This is Britain section, along with some best described as record shots. But it is that bias towards the bad side of things that really annoyed me.

Offline Sarasocke

• my flickr
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2009, 04:17:55 PM »
Agree with Sue.
Just had a look at the Britain shots, and with exception of one or two photos all are negative. Brits are drunk/dirty/homeless/yobbos or still live in 1952 (the pictures of the homes with very little in them). Those not in the above categories depict bad weather. Everyone knows that in the UK it rains ALL the time, or is foggy or both ... I know it may seem that it sometimes does rain all the time, but it's the same here.

Many of these photos are not by taken by Brits - is this really the way we look to visitors ? It would make me not so proud to be British if it is.

I'm a visitor every year to Cornwall. It doesn't always rain and we don't see that many drunks either. Maybe we wear blinkers.
I haven't actually written anything in the new forum yet, but this might be a first.

I'll go and have a look at the other categories later.
grmmpf
Carol aka Sarasocke 
My Gallery

Offline Sarasocke

• my flickr
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2009, 09:40:49 PM »
Had a look at all the different categories now. Planet Earth contained the photos which appealed to me most, not just cos there are a lot are of animals, but it's the category where the subjects look the most natural.
I suppose I'm just being old-fashioned, but I find the general trend in all the categories a bit depressing and miserable.

Oh well. Back to my dogs  :legit:
Carol aka Sarasocke 
My Gallery

Offline greypoint

« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2009, 06:12:36 PM »
There's also a distinct lack of the ethnic diversity of modern day Britain - I thought this would fit the bill as it covers the statutory alcohol connection too

latest Posts

Subject Board Views/Replies Member Date & Time
xx POLL - Home and Garden International Weekly Comp Entries 84/0 Jediboy Last post April 07, 2020, 11:06:27 AM
xx HOME AND GARDEN - Weekly Comp CHAT THREAD International Weekly Comp Entries 181/4 anglefire Last post April 07, 2020, 07:46:19 AM
xx HOME AND GARDEN - Weekly Comp ENTRY THREAD International Weekly Comp Entries 171/4 anglefire Last post April 07, 2020, 07:45:17 AM
xx FOOD PHOTOGRAPHY CHAT - 5th-12th April 2020 International Weekly Comp Entries 109/4 Jediboy Last post April 06, 2020, 04:14:53 PM
xx POLL - Something good, Weekly Competition International Weekly Comp Entries 229/5 Jediboy Last post April 05, 2020, 11:46:39 PM
xx FOOD PHOTOGRAPHY ENTRIES 5th-12th April 2020 International Weekly Comp Entries 68/0 jinky Last post April 05, 2020, 10:28:18 AM
xx What annoyed you today? General Discussion 594658/3924 Oldboy Last post April 02, 2020, 06:25:36 PM
xx What made you feel good today General Discussion 571899/3895 Oldboy Last post April 01, 2020, 10:38:32 AM