• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,412
  • Total Topics: 5,705
  • Online today: 249
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 79
  • Total: 79
aliexpress
Temu £100 Coupon bundle o...Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning Resources

The Totally Trivial Poll - 3. TV is'nt what it used to be

Started by greypoint, October 23, 2009, 08:03:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

What was the best decade for TV

1950s
0 (0%)
1960s
0 (0%)
1970s
6 (42.9%)
1980s
2 (14.3%)
1990s
3 (21.4%)
2000 on
3 (21.4%)

Total Members Voted: 14

greypoint

OK another impossible to answer question really, but imagine you were stuck somewhere for a week with no entertainment except a DVD player and the offer of a few boxed sets of DVDs from the era of your choice. As with the music poll more a nostalgic meander and the chance to share a few clips.

picsfor

I went for the 70's, simply because they were really starting to innovate in the cgi front and also because some really great films and series came along then.
You can see some of the best 'ham' acting and the worst special effects - so bad they'd make a top 100 list comfortably now.

Examples: Doctor Who & Blakes Seven for bad special effects compared with Star Wars and Jaws for great special effects (the shark looked the business for most of the film!)
'Ham' acting - i'm not gonna hang myself incase one of the guilty parties reads. After all several celebs have taken up photography quite seriously (Bryan Adams, Leonard Nimoy, Bill Wyman)
Great films and TV: I'll open up with Star Wars and Jaws

magicrhodes

Now that is a difficult one because TV is really good now...
2000s 24, Dexter, Spooks, Heroes, Family Guy, My Name is Earl, Sports Coverage, more options than ever before but loses points for the advent of reality TV and giving no marks loads of money for doing nothing
1980s gets points for McGuver, A-Team, Robin of Sherwood (child of the 80s can you guess)

The bit that is difficult is BBC documentries span all periods and anything with David Attenborough is great as a rule

Sorry TV has never been better.... inspite of reality TV...

Sarasocke

Voted for 2000 on, although the choice was really difficult.

I find comedy was much better years ago - when I see stuff like the Two Ronnies or even Morecambe and Wise, it makes me laugh. Stuff like Little Britain makes me switch the TV off.

Nowadays though the quality is of course much better - documentaries and nature programmes can be amazing.

We do tend to watch a lot of DVDs, but that's mostly because German TV is always dubbed. The DVDs are from the last few years mainly.
Carol aka Sarasocke 
My Gallery

greypoint

I like some modern comedy but they don't seem to be able to do sitcoms or at least non sketch type shows anymore. It is a difficult choice to make - newer stuff with higher production values or older stuff for its often period charm. I do love some of the old sci fi programmes. I've got boxed sets of The Invaders and The Twilight Zone - creaky but great viewing.

wendoureecat

i am going to show my age here but i miss comedies like on the buses fawltey towers monty python love thy neighbour hale and pace etc. We have paytv just for the premier league and uktv so i dont miss my eastenders. But apart from those two and bbc knowledge we dont watch tv and certainly not the rubbish australia deem we should watch. I just dont find aust or us comedy funny its just toilet humour lol. Give me british humour any day of the week.

Am posting this from my phone isnt technology wonderful love my n97

top totty

Can't really put a year because BBC wild life programs have always been good, now with HD they are even more so. Others I liked are Minder, Thorne Birds, Two Ronnies, Morecambe & Wise, Spooks, Waking the Dead.
Absolutely hate this reality tv, tho I have to confess to watching the Celebs in the jungle just to watch them eat the bush tucker....they must be desperate to put themselves throught that, (I exclude Martina Navratilova, still can't understand why she did it)

greypoint

spinner

None of it. Once I've watched a program I just can't watch it again. I have to say though, back in the 70's and 80's Brit TV was a lot more interesting and entertaining that most of the U.S. dreck I had available to me. Thanks to cable I live in a 500 channel universe and can't stand to watch even a 10th of it.
And more, much more than this, I did it my way
Ol' blue eyes

http://ddsdigita4.wix.com/ddsdigital
https://www.flickr.com/photos/spin498/

magicrhodes

Quote from: spinner on October 26, 2009, 02:07:09 AM
None of it. Once I've watched a program I just can't watch it again. I have to say though, back in the 70's and 80's Brit TV was a lot more interesting and entertaining that most of the U.S. dreck I had available to me. Thanks to cable I live in a 500 channel universe and can't stand to watch even a 10th of it.

As The Boss said... "theres 57 channels and theres nothing on!"

alan1572

2000 onwards.
Star-Gate, Heros, Dexter, Lost, Prison Break and  The Unit are some.
Who wanted dry roasted with their pint?

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.