POLL for STREETSTREET-CHAT-Weekly Comp 1...STREET-ENTRIES-Weekly Com...Horizons PollREFLECTIONS - Chat Threa...REFLECTIONS - Entry threa...Canon EF L IS USM 500 f/4...Horizons ENTRIES 27/07...What annoyed you today?POLL for TIME OUTTIME OUT. Chat thread wee...TIME OUT. Entry thread w...Horizons CHAT thread 2...POLL -NUMBERS and / or LE...NUMBERS and / or LETTERS ...POLL Happiness is.......

Author Topic: Canon EOS Utility  (Read 7757 times)

Offline DavidHammond

• Clueless
    • David Hammond
Canon EOS Utility
« on: October 21, 2009, 10:45:27 PM »
I'm getting annoyed now...

Just plugged my 450d into my Laptop (running Vista!), and camera the EOS Utility isn't working! Won't even load up Just instantly comes up "EOS Utility has stopped working... close program"

Looked on the Canon website, and tried to download the update, that's ok, but as soon as I run it, that comes up with a bleeding error! It "failed to expand files"!

I've searched about online, and I'm lost! Surely the bloody update off Canon's site should work! :doh: **REALLY ANGRY SMILEY**

Anyone had the same problem/know the fix?

Offline Oldboy

Re: Canon EOS Utility
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2009, 11:20:48 PM »
It could be a fault with Vista rather than Canon's software. Use the Programs and features option to uninstall the EOS Utility program and then reinstall it. Or you could check the Event log, via Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Double click Event Viewer and double Click on the Error Tab to expand it and double click on the first error for EOS Utility. This will show what is causing the error, most likely a DLL file. You need to locate another copy of this DLL and copy it the the first location, to overwrite it and then your EOS Utility program should now work.  The update didn't work due to the fault with the EOS Utility program, as it needs to access it to update it. ;D
« Last Edit: October 21, 2009, 11:22:27 PM by Oldboy »

Offline DavidHammond

• Clueless
    • David Hammond
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2009, 01:40:45 PM »
I have unstalled it, and then tried to re-install it, but require the origional CD i used to install the software with!  >:(

Rang Canon Customer support and someone will ring me back... see if they can just send me a CD with it all on. :-)

Offline Oldboy

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2009, 07:30:57 PM »
I have unstalled it, and then tried to re-install it, but require the origional CD i used to install the software with!  >:(

Rang Canon Customer support and someone will ring me back... see if they can just send me a CD with it all on. :-)

I assumed you had the original CD. You could try a restore under Vista, but only if you have created a restore point before you had the problem.  ;D

Offline DavidHammond

• Clueless
    • David Hammond
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2009, 05:47:46 PM »
No restore point, no CD at home, and Canon haven't rang me back!  :(

Does anyone have a copy of the CD, they could kindly duplicate for me??  :doh:

Offline Mick

• I've got the latest Canon - 4 rings, double oven and eye level grill! And HD video!
  • Administrator
  • I really, really hate lawn mowers.
    • Camera Craniums
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2009, 06:38:33 PM »
No restore point, no CD at home, and Canon haven't rang me back!  :(

Does anyone have a copy of the CD, they could kindly duplicate for me??  :doh:

You can install without the CD if you don't mind a bit of fiddling around.  http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/article_pages/install_canon_software.html

Don't blame me if it all goes TU though.  :legit:
Thank You, "Guest" For Reading This Post.

My Gallery
Tinyportal.net Running SMF 2.0.13 / Tinyportal 1.0
Guitarist Guild Running SMF 2.0.13 / Tinyportal 1.2R
The Garden Machinery Forum Running SMF 2.0.13 / Tinyportal 1.2R

Offline DavidHammond

• Clueless
    • David Hammond
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2009, 11:13:45 PM »
Cheers admin,

I've tried this before but from a different tutorial, so I'll try using this one see where it goes. Failing that it's another call to Canon tomorrow.

OK it's going to be another call to canon in the morning... It's still not working!!! Tried the Regedit with no success still the same error. "failed to expand the files" and just an ok button.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2009, 11:28:16 PM by DavidHammond »

Offline DavidHammond

• Clueless
    • David Hammond
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2009, 11:43:03 PM »
Sorted :)

Did the RegEdit as above... with no luck.

A more specific search online found it to be the Anti Virus Software I have preventing the self extracting program running....

Problem Solved.

Thanks!

Offline Mick

• I've got the latest Canon - 4 rings, double oven and eye level grill! And HD video!
  • Administrator
  • I really, really hate lawn mowers.
    • Camera Craniums
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2009, 12:18:42 AM »
Nice one,  glad you got it sorted.  :tup:

Rgrds

Mick
Thank You, "Guest" For Reading This Post.

My Gallery
Tinyportal.net Running SMF 2.0.13 / Tinyportal 1.0
Guitarist Guild Running SMF 2.0.13 / Tinyportal 1.2R
The Garden Machinery Forum Running SMF 2.0.13 / Tinyportal 1.2R

Offline Oldboy

« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2009, 10:19:29 AM »
Sorted :)

Did the RegEdit as above... with no luck.

A more specific search online found it to be the Anti Virus Software I have preventing the self extracting program running....

Problem Solved.

Thanks!

Glad you got it sorted.  :tup:

Did you look in Event Viewer and what message did it show?  :doh:

Offline DavidHammond

• Clueless
    • David Hammond
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2009, 12:35:59 AM »
It didn't show anything in the event viewer... But I am not a computer jedi, so I might have just not known what to look for. BTW my antivirus is Kaspersky.

Offline Forseti

« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2009, 08:51:46 AM »
BTW my antivirus is Kaspersky.

So's mine  :tup: In fact, Kaspersky is so good imho that nowadays I disable it temporarily prior to installing any downloads - updates included, having first right-clicked and run a virus check on it. There's always a chance that something won't install properly should Kaspersky in it's wisdom decide it's a risk and quarantine it. In the case of Canon updates i.e. EOS Utility, Zoombrowser and DPP it won't even extract the files. Still, it's nice to know that it's doing the job.  ;)
Canon 7D,  Canon SX1 IS, EF100 f/2.8 USM Macro, EF70-200 f/4 L IS USM, EF17-40 f/4 L USM, Sigma 50mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM, Canon Speedlite 580EX MkII

"Everyone can take a great picture with digital, the knack is to take two" - David Bailey

Offline anglefire

• Canon Biggamist. Three bodies and some lenses. :) - Sold my 1DMk3
  • Canon Owner and Proud of it :)
    • Mark Colston Photography
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2009, 12:38:57 PM »
You'll find a lot of software says to disable AV before installing - I use NOD32 and I don't as a rule, but its the first thing I check when it goes TUp.com  ;D
----------------------------------
Mark
* A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odourless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

CPS Gold Member
My Website

latest Posts

Subject Board Views/Replies Member Date & Time
question POLL for STREET International Weekly Comp Entries 33/0 Hinfrance Last post Today at 08:10:27 AM
xx STREET-CHAT-Weekly Comp 1/8-9/8/2020 International Weekly Comp Entries 120/3 Jediboy Last post August 10, 2020, 06:59:38 PM
xx STREET-ENTRIES-Weekly Comp 1/8-9/8/2020 International Weekly Comp Entries 171/4 Jediboy Last post August 10, 2020, 06:57:54 PM
xx Horizons Poll International Weekly Comp Entries 217/4 anglefire Last post August 09, 2020, 04:51:11 PM
xx REFLECTIONS - Chat Thread, Weekly Comp - 08/08/20 - 16/08/20 International Weekly Comp Entries 57/2 Jediboy Last post August 09, 2020, 03:31:50 PM
xx REFLECTIONS - Entry thread, Weekly Comp - 08/08/20 - 16/08/20 International Weekly Comp Entries 19/0 Jediboy Last post August 09, 2020, 03:20:15 PM
xx Canon EF L IS USM 500 f/4 for sale Lenses 262/6 anglefire Last post August 05, 2020, 07:48:42 AM
xx Horizons ENTRIES 27/07 - 02/08/20 International Weekly Comp Entries 264/5 Oldboy Last post August 03, 2020, 10:25:12 PM