POLL - -WOOD / WOODENWhat annoyed you today?WOOD /WOODEN CHAT 10-17th...WOOD /WOODEN ENTRIES 10-1...CHAT-METAL MACRO-Weekly C...CHAT-PRODUCT SHOT-Weekly ...ENTRIES-METAL MACRO-Weekl...POLL for PRODUCT SHOTENTRIES-PRODUCT SHOT-Week...POLL - ENJOYMENTWe need a laugh.ENJOYMENT ENTRIES - 21/12...1Dx Mk3ENJOYMENT CHAT - 21/12/2...Infra red photographyNew Years Resolutions

Author Topic: 5DII vs 7D  (Read 13336 times)

Offline minky_monkey

Re: 5DII vs 7D
« Reply #45 on: November 03, 2009, 03:48:43 PM »
Congratulations on your purchase! 8)

Offline Forseti

« Reply #46 on: November 03, 2009, 04:23:33 PM »
In the end I came to the following decision..... I have a 7D + 15-85 kit coming along with a free battery and sandisk ext3 8gb card.

....... and get a 70-200 f2.8 (IS if I can afford it, but definitely the 2.8 as I see so many posts from people selling the F4 version to upgrade to the 2.8!)........then then when funds allow I will get a 17-40 or 16-35 if I can justify, then a 24-105 or 24-70 .......

Congrats on your purchase,  :tup: I wish you a long and successful life together.  :-* Interesting your comments regarding the f/2.8 and f/4 as I've read a lot of comments more or less stating the opposite, plus of course the f/4 is smaller and lighter. The 17-40 is a very nice lens and can thoroughly recommend it.

Edit: I forgot to add that if you use Lightroom (and I suppose by implication Photoshop as they share the same Camera Raw pipeline) whilst I gather you will be able to open your images they are not as yet 'officially' supported. I take this to mean that your images may not appear quite as you would like them to but not having a 7D (yet) to try it out who knows. Hints are that there will be a Lightroom v2.6 prior to v3 although as is usual with Adobe nobody is officially admitting to it.  :'(

« Last Edit: November 03, 2009, 04:29:03 PM by Forseti »
Canon 7D,  Canon SX1 IS, EF100 f/2.8 USM Macro, EF70-200 f/4 L IS USM, EF17-40 f/4 L USM, Sigma 50mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM, Canon Speedlite 580EX MkII

"Everyone can take a great picture with digital, the knack is to take two" - David Bailey

picsfor

« Reply #47 on: November 03, 2009, 04:29:13 PM »
1D something second hand?
Why?

The 7D will out perform them in most situations unless you are a pro and need the weather proofing.
Park will do me a nice 1D MkIII for under £2k - or a 5D MkII new for under £1800 and a 7D for even less.
Watching Martin (Minkey Monkey) play with his 7D on Saturday at the meet was an interesting experience.
Does his Smirnoff bottle look any worse than was produced on my 5D MkII? Actually with the mono conversion i think it looks better - but that may be a personal choice.
The 5D MkIII and the 7D actually compliment each other if you look at them. One is fine tuned for action, the other fine tuned for Portrait, Landscape, Studio.

Offline oRGie

« Reply #48 on: November 03, 2009, 06:13:55 PM »
Cheers guys, I hope I wear out the shutter on this camera  :beer:

I'll keep reading the posts about F4 vs F2.8 70-200's, are you saying the IQ is thought to be better on the f4 or its just an easier lens to use ?

Thanks for the heads up on adobe stuff, I realsied I would be waiting for an update and need to move to cs4 etc, no problem with that, it will be nice to have to use dpp for a while, discover whats new etc..  I was tending not to shoot raw for a while now, found I didnt really need to, only took raw if I thought I would do a lot of processing of a shot and a couple of times I really wanted a keeper, so just in case. Will be nice having the "add a raw" button though.

I should have said second hand 1Ds :)   I agree, the 7D and 5D really do compliment each other, I think thats what made choosing so tough. For my purposes it makes sense to have all the gizzmo's in the 7D and have a more simple 5Dmk1 for the sort of shots I wont need fast af and have plenty of time to set up the shots, lighting, tripods etc..  oh and of course a progressive outlay of funds in the 7D now route worked for me, to go 5DmkII now would have been expensive in 1 hit lol

picsfor

« Reply #49 on: November 03, 2009, 07:48:54 PM »
IQ is considered to be 'marginally' better on the f4 - though not really a lot in it.
What is a big difference though is carting it about and using it. f4 is sooo much easier and lighter to handle.

That's why i went for the f4 over the f2.8 - that and the extra £500!

Offline anglefire

• Canon Biggamist. Three bodies and some lenses. :) - Sold my 1DMk3
  • Canon Owner and Proud of it :)
    • Mark Colston Photography
« Reply #50 on: November 03, 2009, 08:49:42 PM »
In some respect, having a high FPS is a bit of a cop out - although is nice to have if you want to catch more than 1 frame of action.

I first decided I wanted a faster camera after a day at Haye Park in January 08.

Not that I couldn't get the shot with my 5D, but that I only had 1 Chance.

Whereas this year at Mallory, I got a sequene of about 12 shots of a car going off - this being one of them:

So, yes, the 7D will be a useful camera at times!!  :tup:
----------------------------------
Mark
* A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odourless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Offline Forseti

« Reply #51 on: November 03, 2009, 09:31:02 PM »
IQ is considered to be 'marginally' better on the f4 - though not really a lot in it.
What is a big difference though is carting it about and using it. f4 is sooo much easier and lighter to handle.

That's why i went for the f4 over the f2.8 - that and the extra £500!

That just about sums up what my searches revealed and having owned the f/4 for a while now, can't fault it at all. In fairness though, I haven't handled or indeed used the f/2.8 and whilst the extra financial outlay wasn't really a consideration, lightness and ease of handling certainly was. For the extremely odd occasions that a fast lens would be useful it was the latter two points that swung it for me.
Canon 7D,  Canon SX1 IS, EF100 f/2.8 USM Macro, EF70-200 f/4 L IS USM, EF17-40 f/4 L USM, Sigma 50mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM, Canon Speedlite 580EX MkII

"Everyone can take a great picture with digital, the knack is to take two" - David Bailey

Offline hssutton

« Reply #52 on: November 03, 2009, 09:32:50 PM »
Well my 7D arrived safe and sound. Just fired of a couple of flash photos.
The major problem with this camera is that I'll have to read the manual as it's just a little more complicated than the 5D. (Actually it's a lot more complicated)

Will pop up to Donna Nook tomorrow and try it out on the seals, weather permitting.

Harry

Edited. I forgot to mention Lightroom is little more than useless, as is CS4 for processing the 7D raw files. I converted these in DPP then tranferred them to CS4. I hope Adobe get their collective fingers out and supply an upgate to include the 7D.  I hate using the Canon software.

And Julie who's suffering from a very bad cold.

« Last Edit: November 03, 2009, 09:38:48 PM by hssutton »

Offline oRGie

« Reply #53 on: November 03, 2009, 10:53:05 PM »
Nice one Harry, glad yours arrived safe and sound. RGB wouldnt ship international and I didnt want to involve a friend in the UK to forward etc, so hopefully Park will be prompt for me too :)

Did you get permission to post the pick of your missus, I bet she was thinking "I feel like this and he wants to take my photo!"

Out of interest, what lens did you use for the shots and what was the basic exposure settings ? both shots with flash ? second one looks lit by electric light bulb, higher iso ?

I made a head start reading the manual, might as well while I wait for the next week or so   :legit:

Offline hssutton

« Reply #54 on: November 03, 2009, 11:17:51 PM »
No I didn't get permission so I may be in a little trouble :)

The flowers where taken using the Canon 100mm f/2.8 Macro, with Julie being with the Sigma 24-70 f/2.8 and yes there was quite a bit of tungsten lighting involved.

Will be using the 100-400 IS lens for the seals tomorrow.

Enjoy reading the manual, but you really need the camera with you when reading it.

Harry

Offline oRGie

« Reply #55 on: November 05, 2009, 07:07:51 PM »
Dum de dum, waiting is never easy  :doh:  read the manual a few times, yes, would be nice to have the camera to refer too, still, its given me time to do some decorating, its great having a huge garage till its time to paint it, done the bathroom ceiling, took apart the shower cubicle and re-sealed it all, done the upstairs bathroom ceiling, window frames spruced up, few cracks in the paving around the house cemented. weeded the borders on the drive, mowed the lawns  :legit:

and as luck would have it, the drummers wife had their baby 10 days early and guess who doesnt have a camera, mind you if they knew it did video too it may have saved me from an experience I dont think i would have enjoyed lol  annnnd there's no personal number plates here, but I saw a plate 17-40-EF that I know I would have snapped  8)

It hasnt even shipped yet, 24-48 hours for the transfer to clear, so if i am lucky it might ship tommorow  :beer:

Offline oRGie

« Reply #56 on: November 12, 2009, 04:48:14 PM »
Battery is on charge  :D  :D  :D  :D

Park were indeed nice to deal with, little bit "computer sais No" but thats modern life lol..  They deserve credit too, as the price dropped again a bit this week, I called to tell them I'd noticed, so they offered me store credit, which I've used to get the hood for the lens, happy days :)

:beer: Thanks for all the help deciding, invaluable really   :beer:

Nearly charged  :legit:

picsfor

« Reply #57 on: November 12, 2009, 06:44:31 PM »
I see the 7D gets a full review in this months 'Pradar' magazine (sorry DCM for those old enough to remember  ;D )

Whilst they rate it highly and score it well - they seem to achieve a mixed conclusion - too much for an amateur, not enough for a pro! So just right for a part timer or keen amateur then!

Next month they're gong to put it up against the D300s to see which is better!

Offline anglefire

• Canon Biggamist. Three bodies and some lenses. :) - Sold my 1DMk3
  • Canon Owner and Proud of it :)
    • Mark Colston Photography
« Reply #58 on: November 12, 2009, 08:24:06 PM »
I see the 7D gets a full review in this months 'Pradar' magazine (sorry DCM for those old enough to remember  ;D )

Whilst they rate it highly and score it well - they seem to achieve a mixed conclusion - too much for an amateur, not enough for a pro! So just right for a part timer or keen amateur then!

Oh deep Joy!  :legit:
----------------------------------
Mark
* A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odourless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Offline minky_monkey

« Reply #59 on: November 14, 2009, 12:01:08 PM »

I`ve just read that review, bit of a weird one.  Yes it is a reasonably complicated camera, but at the price level it`s set at, it`s not exactly aimed at inexperienced shooters....

latest Posts

Subject Board Views/Replies Member Date & Time
xx POLL - -WOOD / WOODEN International Weekly Comp Entries 153/5 Jediboy Last post Today at 03:00:52 PM
xx What annoyed you today? General Discussion 675106/4025 anglefire Last post Today at 10:41:38 AM
xx WOOD /WOODEN CHAT 10-17th January 2021 International Weekly Comp Entries 220/4 Oldboy Last post January 19, 2021, 12:45:25 AM
xx WOOD /WOODEN ENTRIES 10-17th January 2021 International Weekly Comp Entries 169/4 Oldboy Last post January 19, 2021, 12:39:49 AM
xx CHAT-METAL MACRO-Weekly Comp 17-24/1/21 International Weekly Comp Entries 114/4 jinky Last post January 18, 2021, 10:07:42 AM
xx CHAT-PRODUCT SHOT-Weekly Comp 3/1-10/1/21 International Weekly Comp Entries 304/8 Jediboy Last post January 17, 2021, 02:06:14 PM
xx ENTRIES-METAL MACRO-Weekly Comp 17-24/1/21 International Weekly Comp Entries 44/0 Hinfrance Last post January 17, 2021, 08:57:09 AM
xx POLL for PRODUCT SHOT International Weekly Comp Entries 259/4 Jediboy Last post January 16, 2021, 07:08:40 PM