POLL - Song Title HeronSong Title CHAT thread 1s...Song Title ENTRY thread 1...Poll - Days out - 18th-25...Windows 10 19H1 is headin...POLL - SchoolSchool - Weekly Comp Entr...SCHOOL - Weekly comp Chat...Entry Thread - Days out -...POLL - DoorwaysChat Thread - Days out - ...1957 Ferrari California 2...Doorways - Entry Thread w...Anything Goes Poll 4-11th...Anything Goes - Chat Thre...

Author Topic: More Storage Required.  (Read 2836 times)

Offline bones615

More Storage Required.
« on: September 24, 2009, 11:31:05 AM »
I am looking to increase my back up storage & have 3 options? unless you give me more.

1. I have one of these http://www.welland.com.tw/html/multimedia/747aksi.html with a 160gb drive split into 2, half for back up storage & half for movies to watch on tv. Put a bigger hdd into this?

2. Buy a 1tb external drive, seen them for £70 on the net.

3. Add another hdd to my pc or is this like putting all my eggs in one basket.

My preferred option at the moment is an external drive but i would be interested in your veiws or ideas.

Simon

Offline Oldboy

Re: More Storage Required.
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2009, 11:48:49 AM »
I suggest a external hard-drive as they are cheap and easy to connect to any PC using USB. Maplin have a Seagate Itb external drive for £79.99.  :tup:

Offline bones615

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2009, 11:54:45 AM »
I am looking at this Western Digital unit  http://www.amazon.co.uk/Western-Digital-Elements-External-Drive/dp/B001GO9ERE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1253789615&sr=1-1
Is this still a good brand & are there any I should avoid.

Simon

Offline oRGie

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2009, 05:12:44 PM »
I have one of those Wd units but a 750gb silver version from a few years ago, works well, no problems, use it for back up and for feeding movies to the tv media pc. I plan on getting 2 of those 1TB units as I need more storage now, I plan to use one on a daily basis and use the other just for back up.

I also have an extra hdd in the pc case which I use to back up the c drive, but I would not only rely on that becasue if the power supply in the pc case blows it could take out both drives, so the external is essential imho.

Offline Oldboy

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2009, 06:37:44 PM »
I am looking at this Western Digital unit  http://www.amazon.co.uk/Western-Digital-Elements-External-Drive/dp/B001GO9ERE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1253789615&sr=1-1
Is this still a good brand & are there any I should avoid.

Simon

WD have been making drives since the year dot. I have the My Book version and it works a treat.  ;D

Offline anglefire

• Canon Biggamist. Four bodies and some lenses. :)
  • Canon Owner and Proud of it :)
    • Mark Colston Photography
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2009, 06:53:22 PM »
I have a MyWorldBook NAS drive from WD - Its meant to be a Gb ethernet one - but it can't cope with data transfer at 10M, let alone 1Gb - And the drive has now died. Not impressed with WD!

I also had a 500Mb Seagate I think - that died too.

I now have a Buffalo USB 1Tb drive, which wasn't too expensive, but seems a lot more robust than others I have, but my main backup is a QNAP TS109 with a 1Tb drive in and it has a 1Gb network port, with 3USB ports which I plug the buffalo into so it backs up the Qnap weekly. It also has a ESata port for the same thing.

Downside is that its not cheap - but I would say in this case you get what you pay for.

If you keep the USB drives off and only turn them on when you want to backup they should be ok - but I leave mine on all the time and use syncback to automatically back up my data - otherwise it wouldn't get done!
----------------------------------
Mark
* A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odourless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Offline Jonathan

• PeopleByRyan
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2009, 07:17:42 PM »
Hmmmmmm TS-109.  Good call ;)

Western Dig are very fond of keeping their drives cool.  Which is a very good thing.  But the fan on a MyBook Pro really belongs on an Apache.  When it's on it's the loudest thing in the house.  Yes, louder than iTunes.
It's Guest's round

Offline anglefire

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2009, 09:59:47 PM »
Hmmmmmm TS-109.  Good call ;)

Yes, well, it was you that recommended it at the time :)
Mark
* A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odourless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Offline Colin

• My Woodturning
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2009, 07:26:50 AM »
Have a look at the warranty on the drives WD only stand by there external drives for 12 months whereas Seagate stand by theirs for 5 years. Also consider Firewire rather than USB as it is faster and not much more expensive and even if your PC doesn't have a firewire connection a card is only about a £5

Offline bones615

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2009, 06:33:20 PM »
Just got the WD elements 1TB drive, limited instructions - plug it in then play. Is there any software I could get that might be useful for backing up specific files, putting it to sleep? Is there any benefit from partioning it?

Simon

Offline Oldboy

« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2009, 08:15:54 PM »
Just got the WD elements 1TB drive, limited instructions - plug it in then play. Is there any software I could get that might be useful for backing up specific files, putting it to sleep? Is there any benefit from partioning it?

Simon

That depends on the size of the files you store on it. If you have lots of small files, like word document files, then yes, but if most of your files are over 5mp then no. My 1tb external disk is two 500mb drive but I use it as a 1tb drive for my photos. As for backups, Windows XP or Vista has a limited one built-in to the operator system, but it won't be as good as a full backup program. Try BullGuard see here:  http://www.computerbuyer.co.uk/labs/236658/bullguard-backup-80.html Or if you want to use Windows own built-in to XP or Vista see here: http://www.pcbuyerbeware.co.uk/Software3.htm and page down to the infomation.  :tup:

Offline anglefire

« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2009, 09:43:45 PM »
I use syncback - its free, but very good. They also do a paid verfsion - but most won't see any benifit! http://www.2brightsparks.com/
Mark

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Offline Hinfrance

• Global Moderator
  • Cake is good
    • Hinfrance
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2009, 06:21:42 AM »
I use syncback - its free, but very good. They also do a paid verfsion - but most won't see any benifit! http://www.2brightsparks.com/

I use it too - and an excellent job it does too - works automatically and invisibly in the background.

I'm afraid I leave most of my drives on all the time too, as experience (or is it paranoia?) leads me to keep data in more than one place, and definitely not on the internal hard drive. I just have one external drive that I back up my programme files to that I only update once every two weeks or so.

Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

Offline bones615

« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2009, 07:11:15 PM »
Thanks guys, just installed syncback - easy to set up, scheduled it to run weekly. Looks good but i will wait till monday when its supposed to run & see what happens.

Simon

Offline stevebedder

• My Flickr Gallery
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2009, 02:19:00 PM »
I've got 2 x Freecom Toughdrives (160Gb & 320Gb) that I use for work, the 160Gb has taken a bit of a beating though over the years and is now a little tempramental when plugging it into a USB port but still works.........eventually.

I've also got an external 500Gb Freecom NAS drive that I use for backup and data storage. I love it! I have got it plugged straight into my router so that if I'm away working I can atill access it via the secure FTP access on it. It's got firewire and USB connections which make it quick to transfer data.

I'd deffinitley recommend Freecom as they are great products for the price.

Steve

latest Posts

Subject Board Views/Replies Member Date & Time
xx POLL - Song Title International Weekly Comp Entries 167/3 Jediboy Last post September 15, 2019, 10:57:01 PM
xx Heron Wildlife Photography 86/3 jinky Last post September 15, 2019, 12:19:57 PM
xx Song Title CHAT thread 1st-8th September `19 International Weekly Comp Entries 809/36 jinky Last post September 13, 2019, 03:02:01 PM
xx Song Title ENTRY thread 1st-8th September `19 International Weekly Comp Entries 154/4 Jediboy Last post September 09, 2019, 03:08:08 PM
xx Poll - Days out - 18th-25th August 2019 International Weekly Comp Entries 298/7 Hinfrance Last post September 08, 2019, 07:17:09 AM
xx Windows 10 19H1 is heading your way. PC computer questions, tips and how to's 2761/35 Mick Last post September 07, 2019, 02:45:08 PM
xx POLL - School International Weekly Comp Entries 82/0 Jediboy Last post September 03, 2019, 12:02:14 PM
xx School - Weekly Comp Entry thread International Weekly Comp Entries 199/4 Jediboy Last post September 02, 2019, 10:39:51 PM