POLL - Song Title HeronSong Title CHAT thread 1s...Song Title ENTRY thread 1...Poll - Days out - 18th-25...Windows 10 19H1 is headin...POLL - SchoolSchool - Weekly Comp Entr...SCHOOL - Weekly comp Chat...Entry Thread - Days out -...POLL - DoorwaysChat Thread - Days out - ...1957 Ferrari California 2...Doorways - Entry Thread w...Anything Goes Poll 4-11th...Anything Goes - Chat Thre...

Author Topic: The hierarchy of photo subject  (Read 1453 times)

Offline greypoint

The hierarchy of photo subject
« on: September 15, 2009, 10:17:35 AM »
It's interesting to see on all general photo sites which pictures have the most views. Which generate the most interest. I was once told rather condesendingly that one of my photos 'was'nt bad for a dog portrait' - but resisted the temptation to comment under one of the commenters portraits of their child that it was'nt bad for a kiddie pic! Is subject matter the be all and end all of your photographic viewing? I can't honestly say that I find any [legal!] subject not worth a look - even 'glamour' which I dislike on most occasions :o If you have an interest in photography is'nt technique, composition and capturing the light and moment the important thing? Whatever the subject.

Offline Oly Paul

• CC Regular visitor
Re: The hierarchy of photo subject
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2009, 11:31:06 AM »
I'm with you Sue as I class myself as a light chaser and not a subject chaser, even the most mundane subject can magicly be transformed when the light hits it in a certain way if only for a few seconds. :)
Regards Paul
One day I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am.

http://www.pbase.com/paulsilkphotography

Offline Oldboy

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2009, 04:12:04 PM »
Well I do go out to chase subjects like birds, insects, people and such, but the thing that get my blood rushing is the light. When that magic light appears I rush around like mad trying to get as many shots as I can, often thinking I should be in another position to get the perfect shot.  No matter what I'm photographing I always keep my eyes open for that magic light appearing. ;D

Offline greypoint

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2009, 04:16:24 PM »
This was really more about pictures taken by others. The way that some subjects attract lots of comments and views while others are ignored. Is subject matter the most important thing or does your general interest in photography mean you take an interest in genres other than those you actually take.

Offline Oldboy

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2009, 04:27:43 PM »
A good picture is a good picture regardless of subject, but I agree that some people only comment of subjects they like, and ignore the others whether they are cracking shots or not.  :(

Offline Graham

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2009, 05:16:46 PM »
     Well. I'm inclined to think that subject matter is irrelevant to the make up of a worthwhile image.
     A celebrated photographer (I can't remember which one.) said "I have found most of my subjects not a hundred yards from my back door!"
     I kind of know what he means.
                             Graham.  :)
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. 

My Gallery
My Flickr Pics

Offline Nemesis

• CC Regular visitor
    • A Few Snapshots
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2009, 08:03:46 PM »
I guess I am drawn to the subject of the image first (hence my choice of groups over on Flickr), and then appreciate the vision, technique etc behind the image.

Offline ABERS

• Black and White Images by Alan Abercrombie
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2009, 08:47:47 PM »
The treatment rather than the subject usually attracts me. I've found more B+W groups than you can shake a stick at on Flickr. What people take is irrelevant as long as it's well seen, well composed, and well presented, and that applies to colour as well as monochrome as far as I'm concerned.
I do grit my teeth somewhat at B+W images that are the result of someone just 'giving it a go' and usually ends up as an image that's either a uniformally grey splodge, or a soot and whitewash effort. It seems that just because there's no colour in it it will pass as a monochrome image.

Offline Peter Jackson

• Peter Jackson Photography
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2009, 09:25:13 PM »
................. or a soot and whitewash effort. It seems that just because there's no colour in it it will pass as a monochrome image.

Guilty as charged M'Lud  :-[
Oh Lord, please help me to be the person that my dog thinks I am.

picsfor

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2009, 08:26:04 PM »
I have favourite subjects when i take pictures.

But i don't have any favourite subjects when i view pictures.
I have favourite photographers who produce a higher proportion of pictures that i like to look at but not every picture they take works for me.

"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder" is a more than apt statement for considering a pictures worth to the viewer.

Hybridphotog

« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2009, 01:42:43 AM »
I had favourite subjects, a few years ago. But as I've said before, you can only take so many photos of steaming lumps of metal before the "Sausage factory" effect kicks in.

Change the subject matter, you might surprise yourself. :)

latest Posts

Subject Board Views/Replies Member Date & Time
xx POLL - Song Title International Weekly Comp Entries 167/3 Jediboy Last post September 15, 2019, 10:57:01 PM
xx Heron Wildlife Photography 86/3 jinky Last post September 15, 2019, 12:19:57 PM
xx Song Title CHAT thread 1st-8th September `19 International Weekly Comp Entries 809/36 jinky Last post September 13, 2019, 03:02:01 PM
xx Song Title ENTRY thread 1st-8th September `19 International Weekly Comp Entries 154/4 Jediboy Last post September 09, 2019, 03:08:08 PM
xx Poll - Days out - 18th-25th August 2019 International Weekly Comp Entries 298/7 Hinfrance Last post September 08, 2019, 07:17:09 AM
xx Windows 10 19H1 is heading your way. PC computer questions, tips and how to's 2761/35 Mick Last post September 07, 2019, 02:45:08 PM
xx POLL - School International Weekly Comp Entries 82/0 Jediboy Last post September 03, 2019, 12:02:14 PM
xx School - Weekly Comp Entry thread International Weekly Comp Entries 199/4 Jediboy Last post September 02, 2019, 10:39:51 PM