POLL - Song Title SMALL - CHAT THREAD 16-22...SMALL - ENTRY THREAD 16-2...HeronSong Title CHAT thread 1s...Song Title ENTRY thread 1...Poll - Days out - 18th-25...Windows 10 19H1 is headin...POLL - SchoolSchool - Weekly Comp Entr...SCHOOL - Weekly comp Chat...Entry Thread - Days out -...POLL - DoorwaysChat Thread - Days out - ...1957 Ferrari California 2...Doorways - Entry Thread w...

Poll

How often do you use a tripod?

All the time
0 (0%)
Quite a bit
8 (20%)
Occasionally
18 (45%)
Mainly for macro
2 (5%)
Rarely
8 (20%)
Prefer a monopod
2 (5%)
Don't own one
2 (5%)

Total Members Voted: 38

Author Topic: The weekly poll - Tripods  (Read 3168 times)

Offline greypoint

The weekly poll - Tripods
« on: September 15, 2009, 09:39:19 AM »
In the age of in camera stabilisation or IS/VR lenses do you still use a tripod as much as in the past? Do you take one out and about? When and where? Do you need to spend a fortune on one?

Offline alan1572

• I'll do it tomorrow
Re: The weekly poll - Tripods
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2009, 10:35:28 AM »
i have taken a photo a month of my youngest daughter and use the tripod alot for that, she is now 12, except for 2 pc crashes :'( i have just over 140
Who wanted dry roasted with their pint?

Offline magicrhodes

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2009, 11:07:46 AM »
Spent what felt like a fortune on a Velbon one, it is in the cupboard next to the instruction manual.... Wife moans if I even think about taking it anywhere!!!

Offline John Doyle2

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2009, 11:27:53 AM »
I do not use tripods much nowadays, on long lenses I tend to use a monopod with the help of VR :)

Offline Oly Paul

• CC Regular visitor
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2009, 11:46:28 AM »
I'd alway take one with me in my film days and even when I first started using digital but since Oly started employing image stabalization and I have got older not very often now unless I know I'm not going to be walking.  :)
Regards Paul
One day I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am.

http://www.pbase.com/paulsilkphotography

Offline spinner

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2009, 12:10:26 PM »
Got 2 tripods and a monopod. One was a 'gift' for signing up to a magazine. One was a handymedown from my brother. The monopod I purchased. I take the monopod almost everywhere, not only does it reduce the stress of missing shots due to my wobbly knees, it doubles as a walking stick for my wife who has back issues.  :)
And more, much more than this, I did it my way
Ol' blue eyes

http://ddsdigita4.wix.com/ddsdigital
https://www.flickr.com/photos/spin498/

Offline Hinfrance

• Global Moderator
  • Cake is good
    • Hinfrance
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2009, 01:25:10 PM »
It's true image stabilisation helps. Looking at the thread about DNG files I went to see what the outcome would be with my K10D, and as it happens I took this shot, no sharpening, straight out of the magic box:

Hand held at 0.7sec either I or the Pentax in body IS is wonderful. OK, I know it's me  ;) Kind of ties in with the ISO thread too.

I have just invested in mega heavy tripod and it is quite nice, but I am not a fan of the quick release heads for simple and trivial reason. I don't like the way the adapter plate snags on everything if it is left on. So I always take it off, which completely negates the supposed benefits of having a quick release system. It actually makes it a slower process to mount the camera on the new tripod than on the old one it replaced.

I do sometimes take a monopod to sports events, but to be honest I often find it to be more of a hinderance than a help. It's great for videos though.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

Offline Oldboy

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2009, 03:40:57 PM »
I have four tripods and one monopod but only take them out occasionally. The geared head I brought probably cost more than most spend on a tripod, but I need that for my 400mm F2.8 , as it weights 6kg. If I take this lens out then I need the big tripod to take its weight and that weights 6kg as well. I have on quite a few occasions taken a tripod out but never used it, and most of my macro shots are taken hand-held, as by the time tripod is set up the bug I was going to photograph has gone.  ;D
« Last Edit: September 15, 2009, 03:43:03 PM by Oldboy »

Offline ABERS

• Black and White Images by Alan Abercrombie
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2009, 03:53:50 PM »
I bought one a couple of years ago at that event in Birmingham, not because I needed one, but that old curse that all photographers suffer from, "I might need it one day".

Also because it was the last day of the event and the bloke on the stand didn't want to load it up and take it home, so I knocked him down another £15 over and above his final clearance offer.

I'm still waiting for that one day to arrive when I need it.

Offline Peter Jackson

• Peter Jackson Photography
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2009, 04:49:11 PM »
I would appear to be in a minority on here then, :-[ I regularly take two tripods out with me, one with a Pano head attached and another with a geared head attached, I carry these in slings, one on each shoulder, either side of the bag with ALL the gear in it. I find them essential for low light landscapes, how else could I keep the foreground rock nice and sharp? ;D
Oh Lord, please help me to be the person that my dog thinks I am.

Offline Nemesis

• CC Regular visitor
    • A Few Snapshots
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2009, 04:57:49 PM »
My tripod now only sees service if I'm playing at astrophotography.  I always have a trekking pole/monopod in the car, but rarely carry or use it.  Don't mention my Jessops bipods...

Offline ABERS

• Black and White Images by Alan Abercrombie
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2009, 06:25:49 PM »
I wonder if Amy at Pradar would be interested in this thread? ::)

Offline Beryl

• Woldlife & Poetry
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2009, 06:28:54 PM »
I have two tripods. one is at my eldest son's house for me to use there and My second son has one that I can use there and I have a second one at home. I only use on occasionally though  :)
Have voted in the poll  :)
A true friend is the best possession

My Web site
http://berylladd.com/
Oh . And thanks for looking in

Offline greypoint

« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2009, 06:31:57 PM »
Well I'm impressed that on a weekday 24 people have voted so far!

Offline Mick

• I've got the latest Canon - 4 rings, double oven and eye level grill! And HD video!
  • Administrator
  • I really, really hate lawn mowers.
    • Camera Craniums
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2009, 06:35:55 PM »
Tripod. I voted "Don't own one"  because I don't.   I do however have a monopod, but very rarely use it.  

None of my lenses are fast, and none have IS, so have to rely on bright conditions.  8)
Thank You, "Guest" For Reading This Post.

My Gallery
Tinyportal.net Running SMF 2.0.13 / Tinyportal 1.0
Guitarist Guild Running SMF 2.0.13 / Tinyportal 1.2R
The Garden Machinery Forum Running SMF 2.0.13 / Tinyportal 1.2R

latest Posts

Subject Board Views/Replies Member Date & Time
xx POLL - Song Title International Weekly Comp Entries 204/5 Jediboy Last post Today at 10:49:12 AM
xx SMALL - CHAT THREAD 16-22nd September `19 International Weekly Comp Entries 18/0 jinky Last post Today at 10:00:15 AM
xx SMALL - ENTRY THREAD 16-22nd September `19 International Weekly Comp Entries 33/0 jinky Last post Today at 09:59:37 AM
xx Heron Wildlife Photography 104/4 anglefire Last post Today at 07:17:49 AM
xx Song Title CHAT thread 1st-8th September `19 International Weekly Comp Entries 823/36 jinky Last post September 13, 2019, 03:02:01 PM
xx Song Title ENTRY thread 1st-8th September `19 International Weekly Comp Entries 162/4 Jediboy Last post September 09, 2019, 03:08:08 PM
xx Poll - Days out - 18th-25th August 2019 International Weekly Comp Entries 307/7 Hinfrance Last post September 08, 2019, 07:17:09 AM
xx Windows 10 19H1 is heading your way. PC computer questions, tips and how to's 2774/35 Mick Last post September 07, 2019, 02:45:08 PM