POLL - Song Title SMALL - CHAT THREAD 16-22...SMALL - ENTRY THREAD 16-2...HeronSong Title CHAT thread 1s...Song Title ENTRY thread 1...Poll - Days out - 18th-25...Windows 10 19H1 is headin...POLL - SchoolSchool - Weekly Comp Entr...SCHOOL - Weekly comp Chat...Entry Thread - Days out -...POLL - DoorwaysChat Thread - Days out - ...1957 Ferrari California 2...Doorways - Entry Thread w...

Author Topic: Noise,noise noise  (Read 2843 times)

Offline greypoint

Noise,noise noise
« on: September 13, 2009, 08:41:46 AM »
A quick perusal of the Canon forums on dpreview shows once again the obssession some people seem to have with noise. Every time a new camera is released the first thing many of them jump on are sample images - one side saying how dreadful they are the other how it's all down to the subject/lighting/processing. Given how much things have improved all round I can't say that a bit of noise at 3200ISO is a major problem for me- what's wrong with a bit of grain. Of course it's nice to be able to up the ISO when you need to but I do find it odd that it seems to be the be all and end all for some - who often, if you read their other posts say they seldom shoot at over 200ISO anyway! Are we really going to see ever more mp in crop DSLRs? I see Olympus have stated 12mp is as far as they're going. Perhaps we'll all be able to afford full frame soon.

Offline Oly Paul

• CC Regular visitor
Re: Noise,noise noise
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2009, 08:54:55 AM »
Sue I guess these moaners would never have been able to take a half decent pic in the days of film and its limited ISO. ;)

Pehaps it just me being old school and taught to use the lowest ISO possible for quality but out of 4000 digital images only 600 were taken above ISO 400 and out of those only 6 above ISO800.

A wise man once told me many years ago .." the camera that does everything teaches nothing."  :)
Regards Paul
One day I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am.

http://www.pbase.com/paulsilkphotography

Offline Trickee

• Mysite
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2009, 09:02:03 AM »
i think noise is irrelevant i look at the bigger picture. :)

Offline greypoint

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2009, 09:12:56 AM »
I find I often up the ISO when the lighting is actually quite good to get high shutter speeds and under those conditions most cameras are'nt too bad. 400ISO tend to be my default and as long as that's OK I'm generally happy :D I think a lot of it is the old Canon v Nikon thing - I do love some of those fanboys on dpreview :2funny: :2funny:

Offline Zenmer

• CC Regular visitor
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2009, 10:02:37 AM »
Something I've always maintained is that if you get the exposure right even my D200 could cope with higher ISOs, bigger problem for me is having mostly 2.8 lenses and needing to keep the \ISO down on sunny days  >:(
Two things are infinite : the universe and human stupidity; I’m not sure about the universe

Offline Carlj

• Global Moderator
  • Happy to shoot
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2009, 10:55:39 AM »
DPR has to be viewed if only for entertainment value.

Canikon fanboys there condemned Sony's entry to the market, with reference to diluting the gear with frivolity such as video.... Hmm, nice shot there.

TBH, while I print out 6x4, 10x8 and above, I wonder if some of them gather the family around a 22" monitor, and have a group pixel peek at iso 6400....  :beer:

Offline Spiritflier

• My Flickr
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2009, 11:59:15 AM »
I'm as guilty as the next person when it comes to pixel peeping... I'm not averse to shooting at high ISOs - far from it! In fact I've even made a couple of hundred dollars out of one high ISO shot that a US magazine used last year!  :)

I guess I'm quite lucky in that the 40D and 5D both cope really well with noise.
If you like what you've shot, that should be good enough.

Offline minky_monkey

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2009, 01:47:03 PM »
I do keep an eye out for noise performance, I`ve had a few low light indoor shots ruined by noise although I have a feeling it was more bad technique than anything else.

As things progress though, cameras will be able to cope with situations better.  They`ve moved on leaps and bounds as it is. 

Offline anglefire

• Canon Biggamist. Four bodies and some lenses. :)
  • Canon Owner and Proud of it :)
    • Mark Colston Photography
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2009, 09:27:02 PM »
As I've said before, the ISO race, as such, has taken up since Nikon Brought out the D3. Traditionally Canon has had better ISO performance that Nikon. Even when exposed correctly, Nikon's have traditionally had more noise reduction which tends to soften the image - I'm not so sure that Canon now use more noise reduction!

As for my use, I will go to ISO1600 without much thought on the 5D and double that on the mkIII - with some additional software noise reduction, the MkIII will go to 12800 and still be usable images. 3200 on the 5D is ok as long as care is taken to exposure correctly (I.e. the right and RAW).

In normal use though, ISO800 is as good on the MkIII as ISO 200 on my 350D.
----------------------------------
Mark
* A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odourless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Offline Hinfrance

• Global Moderator
  • Cake is good
    • Hinfrance
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2009, 10:46:54 AM »
My experience re noise is somewhat different. At this point I should say that I have not used either of the 'god' makes of camera, neither Canon nor Nikon.

But with all the other makes I gave used noise is not a problem at any speed IF their is a decent source of light. If the lighting is dim even an ISO of 100 will create a noisy image.

As I rarely find any reason to use anything more than 400 (creature of habit, Tri-X man) and very infrequently 800 or more, I find this whole debate to be a non issue. Unless you are doing surveillance work why on earth would you need anything more?
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

Offline Graham

« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2009, 05:33:55 PM »
Unless you are doing surveillance work why on earth would you need anything more?

Err, when your trying to do somthing like this :D

3200 iso  500@ f4.0

Graham. :)
« Last Edit: September 14, 2009, 05:37:15 PM by Graham »
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. 

My Gallery
My Flickr Pics

Offline Jonathan

• PeopleByRyan
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2009, 05:53:52 PM »
Um, ISO 800 pretty much counts as low ISO for me......

I've been using auto ISO recently and it's quite fun.  Just wish you could tune it per lens and make it turn off automatically when you're shooting manual.
It's Guest's round

Offline Hinfrance

• Global Moderator
  • Cake is good
    • Hinfrance
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2009, 10:00:59 PM »
Unless you are doing surveillance work why on earth would you need anything more?

3200 iso  500@ f4.0

See, band surveillance !  Seriously, at university I used to take a fair few band pictures, and all we had was Tri-X. It worked, sometimes pushed a bit. If you had done that shot at 1/125 problem solved, you're down to 800, or lift one stop after the event then 400.

Jonathan - I forgot most of you live under a permanent grey sky and rain  ;)
« Last Edit: September 14, 2009, 10:05:27 PM by Tringle WP »
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

Offline Graham

« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2009, 11:48:45 PM »
  Yeah I used to use TriX as well (Wasn't it supposed to have a "T" shaped grain stucture or something?). I used to push it a bit more than a bit!
  I get far more "Hits" now though, and.... they'er in colour!
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. 

My Gallery
My Flickr Pics

Offline Jonathan

• PeopleByRyan
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2009, 08:07:10 AM »

3200 iso  500@ f4.0

1/500s?  Wuss.
It's Guest's round

latest Posts

Subject Board Views/Replies Member Date & Time
xx POLL - Song Title International Weekly Comp Entries 305/5 Jediboy Last post September 16, 2019, 10:49:12 AM
xx SMALL - CHAT THREAD 16-22nd September `19 International Weekly Comp Entries 43/0 jinky Last post September 16, 2019, 10:00:15 AM
xx SMALL - ENTRY THREAD 16-22nd September `19 International Weekly Comp Entries 66/0 jinky Last post September 16, 2019, 09:59:37 AM
xx Heron Wildlife Photography 133/4 anglefire Last post September 16, 2019, 07:17:49 AM
xx Song Title CHAT thread 1st-8th September `19 International Weekly Comp Entries 896/36 jinky Last post September 13, 2019, 03:02:01 PM
xx Song Title ENTRY thread 1st-8th September `19 International Weekly Comp Entries 185/4 Jediboy Last post September 09, 2019, 03:08:08 PM
xx Poll - Days out - 18th-25th August 2019 International Weekly Comp Entries 348/7 Hinfrance Last post September 08, 2019, 07:17:09 AM
xx Windows 10 19H1 is heading your way. PC computer questions, tips and how to's 2879/35 Mick Last post September 07, 2019, 02:45:08 PM