• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,411
  • Total Topics: 5,704
  • Online today: 297
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 244
  • Total: 244
  • Google
If you would like to make a donation to help with the running costs of the site, then a donation button has been added to the bottom of the page.  Thanks.
Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning ResourcesPhotography and Time of D...

Any D300 Users ....... help!!!!

Started by Zenmer, September 11, 2009, 08:22:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zenmer

I just bought a D300 because it is being discontinued and I have wanted one since they came !
Can anyone tell me if it is possible to have the focus points showing on the screen like my trusty D200 does, I can't work out how to do it  :(
Two things are infinite : the universe and human stupidity; I'm not sure about the universe

greypoint

They do don't they? I usually stick to single point but set it to use all the focus point this afternoon and distinctly remember seeing a myriad of focus points across the screen - did'nt help my dragonfly in flight attempts over much tho'!

Zenmer

I usually use single point too, but I'm dying to find out what the 51 point 3D tracking does   :2funny:  bet I still can't get a decent pregrine at full speed shot  ;)
Two things are infinite : the universe and human stupidity; I'm not sure about the universe

Oldboy

Quote from: Zenmer on September 11, 2009, 09:16:34 PM
I usually use single point too, but I'm dying to find out what the 51 point 3D tracking does   :2funny:  bet I still can't get a decent pregrine at full speed shot  ;)

There is a switch below the shuffle button, just flick that upto the top option. You can check these icons with your manual.  :tup:

Zenmer

Yep I know that switch, it's on the 200 but it doesn't bring the things up in the viewfider  :'(

Oldboy

Quote from: Zenmer on September 12, 2009, 10:13:40 PM
Yep I know that switch, it's on the 200 but it doesn't bring the things up in the viewfider  :'(

They should show for a split-second when you half press the shutter button, but they don't stay on long.  ::)

greypoint

Ok - now I really am puzzled! When I was trying to get some flying dragonflies I switched to multi point focus and got banks of focus points showing as the subject moved in the frame. Tried the multi-point this morning and tried the same thing with a plane in the sky. One single point it showed a single point - on multi-point it showed nothing. not even for a split second. I have'nt changed the camera settings other than exposure wise. I'd like someone who knows to answer too now! ::)

Zenmer

Lol Sue, that is exactly what I'm getting, only I do have the single one that I can move around the frame, never yet got all the multi ones show up  :'(

Oldboy

Well I can't say about the D300 but on my D3 they do show but only for a fraction of a second when I half press the shutter button. I have seen around ten appear together.  ;D

Simple

I'm no expert, but this is how my D300 works.
The AF-area mode selector should be set to Auto-Area AF (the top choice of the three)
In the menu: Custom settings - a-Autofocus GOTO a3 Dynamic AF Area and set this to 51 or 51(3D).
The camera has an LED projection system that displays and illuminates the markings on the focussing screen.
To reduce clutter the camera only shows the Active focussing marks. That means that if you have a single small object
closest to the lens you only have one or two focussing points active.
If you have for example a tree or a house closest to the camera it could show as many as 10 or more focus points.
Now, the trick is to have the Focus Mode selector on S to see the dots!!!! As soon as you go to C (continuous) It does not show any dots.

Zenmer

Aah Haa, think you may have answered this one, will check later but I mainly have my focus set to C

GBOBM

I must be the only person in the world that uses the dynamic tracking and likes it!   ???

Depending on what I'm shooting (and what bank setting I'm using) I switch between 9 point and 21 point.
Great for moving subjects!   :tup:

Zenmer

Well.......................... I'm off to the Hawk Conservancy again tomorrow and plan to give it a try, will let you know if I love or hate it

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.