POLL - Song Title HeronSong Title CHAT thread 1s...Song Title ENTRY thread 1...Poll - Days out - 18th-25...Windows 10 19H1 is headin...POLL - SchoolSchool - Weekly Comp Entr...SCHOOL - Weekly comp Chat...Entry Thread - Days out -...POLL - DoorwaysChat Thread - Days out - ...1957 Ferrari California 2...Doorways - Entry Thread w...Anything Goes Poll 4-11th...Anything Goes - Chat Thre...

Author Topic: Notes on an exhibition  (Read 1027 times)

Offline deetus

• illupho.co.uk
Notes on an exhibition
« on: September 08, 2009, 03:11:11 PM »
On Sunday I paid a visit to the "147th. International Exhibition Of Pictorial Photography" held by the Edinburgh Photographic Society.
It certainly proved to me that "Beauty (and indeed quality) is in the eye of the beholder". It was very interesting to read the judges comments on the images that won medals and ribbons, I found myself agreeing with one or two and disagreeing with the rest. I accept that the judges have a very difficult job selecting the images and they do state in the programme "While you may not agree with all our choices, we have no doubt you will enjoy the......exhibition".
I thoroughly enoyed the exhibition which had 202 prints on display (accepted out of 2470 entriesfrom 26 countries), some images I found quite beautiful, some thought provoking, some "I wish I'd taken that", some "what the.......". One of the disappointments for me was the number of images that had been subjected, in my view, to too much photoshoppery, to my mind they were outwith the title "Pictorial Photography".
Has anyone else visited this exhibition, if so what were your thoughts?

Offline ABERS

• Black and White Images by Alan Abercrombie
Re: Notes on an exhibition
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2009, 03:30:39 PM »
Have'nt had the pleasure of visiting the exhibition, a little far away for a day out, but I have the catalogue which illustrates all the medal and ribbon winners which in themselves are very impressive and show a wide range of photography. I especially like "Untitled Portrait" by Stan Farrow.

Surprisingly all the judges were English, which struck me as odd. The reason I have a catalogue is that my four entries were amongst the 2,268 rejections. The Edinburgh International is highly regarded in photographic circles and an acceptance is quite a feather in one's cap. Maybe next year. :( 

Offline greypoint

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2009, 07:05:10 PM »
No doubt the chosen pictures will be on line in due course. Had a quick look at some of last years - some impressive stuff
http://www.edinburghphotographicsociety.co.uk/coppermine/thumbnails.php?album=80202

Offline bones615

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2009, 07:28:34 PM »
Just had a look through those Sue expecting to see something to aspire to but the majority where not of the standard i expected. A couple looked like bad paintings, and in my view a lot had been obviously over cooked in photoshop.

Offline greypoint

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2009, 08:10:18 PM »
I only looked at a few close up - perhaps I chose the best thumbnails! ::)

Offline deetus

• illupho.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2009, 01:56:15 PM »
I especially like "Untitled Portrait" by Stan Farrow.

Surprisingly all the judges were English, which struck me as odd. The reason I have a catalogue is that my four entries were amongst the 2,268 rejections. The Edinburgh International is highly regarded in photographic circles and an acceptance is quite a feather in one's cap. Maybe next year. :( 

Pity you didn't make the cut Abers, it would have been nice to see your work in print.

BTW my favourite from the catalogue was "Through The Mist" by Brian Clark.

latest Posts

Subject Board Views/Replies Member Date & Time
xx POLL - Song Title International Weekly Comp Entries 167/3 Jediboy Last post September 15, 2019, 10:57:01 PM
xx Heron Wildlife Photography 86/3 jinky Last post September 15, 2019, 12:19:57 PM
xx Song Title CHAT thread 1st-8th September `19 International Weekly Comp Entries 809/36 jinky Last post September 13, 2019, 03:02:01 PM
xx Song Title ENTRY thread 1st-8th September `19 International Weekly Comp Entries 154/4 Jediboy Last post September 09, 2019, 03:08:08 PM
xx Poll - Days out - 18th-25th August 2019 International Weekly Comp Entries 298/7 Hinfrance Last post September 08, 2019, 07:17:09 AM
xx Windows 10 19H1 is heading your way. PC computer questions, tips and how to's 2761/35 Mick Last post September 07, 2019, 02:45:08 PM
xx POLL - School International Weekly Comp Entries 82/0 Jediboy Last post September 03, 2019, 12:02:14 PM
xx School - Weekly Comp Entry thread International Weekly Comp Entries 199/4 Jediboy Last post September 02, 2019, 10:39:51 PM