STREET-CHAT-Weekly Comp 1...POLL for STREETSTREET-ENTRIES-Weekly Com...Horizons PollREFLECTIONS - Chat Threa...REFLECTIONS - Entry threa...Canon EF L IS USM 500 f/4...Horizons ENTRIES 27/07...What annoyed you today?POLL for TIME OUTTIME OUT. Chat thread wee...TIME OUT. Entry thread w...Horizons CHAT thread 2...POLL -NUMBERS and / or LE...NUMBERS and / or LETTERS ...POLL Happiness is.......

Author Topic: Photographing old Photos  (Read 2368 times)

Offline Treehugga

• Fotoviva Art Prints
Photographing old Photos
« on: September 07, 2009, 10:02:56 AM »
Would appreciate some advice on how best to digitize around 200 old photos from the 70's and 80's  :o

I have a good scanner but it would take days to do those so is it possible to get a good result by photographing them? If so how? I don't have any studio equipment and don't want to spend a dime  :P so what would be the best setup? I have a home-made lightbox (cardboard box cutout with baking paper attached to sides to diffuse light source - yes seriously, but it does a half decent job!). If I put it in a window sill and setup a tripod could I just snap away and get a good result?

I know it sounds basic but if you have any suggestions that would be great. I guess someone must have done it before? They are only for preservation of family shots so will not need to be awesome quality. I have a D50 to shoot with.

Cheers

Offline Jonathan

• PeopleByRyan
Re: Photographing old Photos
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2009, 10:06:55 AM »
Classic way is 2 lights at 45 degrees with softboxes or similar and camera back absolutely parallel to the pic (you can use a copy stand).

I'd use a scanner.  Or pay somebody to use one.  My cheap and ansty all in one scanner/printer/fax has an automatic sheet feeder.
It's Guest's round

Offline SimonW

• Dunning Parish Historical Society
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2009, 10:11:53 AM »
Setting up a camera totally central and square, and then lighting with no reflections, is very difficult - I've tried umpteen times (with pictures too large for the scanner). Use your scanner. If the photos are all similar size and exposure, once it's set up you can just put successive pix in the same position and scan, no need to preview, and it can be much quicker than you expect.  Good luck.
Simon Warren
(in Dunning, Scotland)

Offline Oly Paul

• CC Regular visitor
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2009, 10:41:49 AM »
Would appreciate some advice on how best to digitize around 200 old photos from the 70's and 80's  :o

I have a good scanner but it would take days to do those I know it sounds basic but if you have any suggestions that would be great. I guess someone must have done it before? They are only for preservation of family shots so will not need to be awesome quality. I have a D50 to shoot with.

Cheers

If your talking prints it should only take a couple of hours on a flatbed scanner (especialy if you place muliple prints on the scanner at a time) if you do not scan at to high a resolution and would be the best way to do it.  :)
Regards Paul
One day I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am.

http://www.pbase.com/paulsilkphotography

Offline Treehugga

• Fotoviva Art Prints
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2009, 10:46:17 AM »
Thanks folks. As they are old photos from different sources they will be different shapes and exposures etc. My scanner cost a grand 7 years ago - do you think it will produce better results than photographing?

Offline Al Birmingham

• Everyday is a school day.
    • Al Birmingham Photography
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2009, 10:00:00 PM »
It almost cetainly will give better quality than trying to photograph them. Have you tried it? A top tip is to ensure both scanner platter and photo are as dust free as possible.  Check you have the latest drivers etc for the scanner.

Do you have photoshop CS or later? If so it will automatically crop, straighten and separate multiple photos when they are all scanned together.
Al Birmingham

Offline Treehugga

• Fotoviva Art Prints
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2009, 09:11:25 AM »
Hi Al

Yes I have PS CS3. So if I get them scanned in, then open the file in PS how does it sort a multiple scan out? I've never heard of this before and it would save a lot of time!

Offline Al Birmingham

• Everyday is a school day.
    • Al Birmingham Photography
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2009, 11:17:47 AM »
It's under the File menu, either a script or under automate or something like that. try seacging help for auto crop or auto rotate. Sorry not much help but I'm at work and can't get to a computer with PS to check what it is exactly.
Al Birmingham

Offline Treehugga

• Fotoviva Art Prints
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2009, 11:25:42 AM »
Crop and Straighten Photos - found it thanks! And it works really well so will be very handy indeed  :tup:

latest Posts

Subject Board Views/Replies Member Date & Time
xx STREET-CHAT-Weekly Comp 1/8-9/8/2020 International Weekly Comp Entries 177/5 Jediboy Last post Today at 11:55:14 AM
question POLL for STREET International Weekly Comp Entries 65/0 Hinfrance Last post August 11, 2020, 08:10:27 AM
xx STREET-ENTRIES-Weekly Comp 1/8-9/8/2020 International Weekly Comp Entries 186/4 Jediboy Last post August 10, 2020, 06:57:54 PM
xx Horizons Poll International Weekly Comp Entries 233/4 anglefire Last post August 09, 2020, 04:51:11 PM
xx REFLECTIONS - Chat Thread, Weekly Comp - 08/08/20 - 16/08/20 International Weekly Comp Entries 74/2 Jediboy Last post August 09, 2020, 03:31:50 PM
xx REFLECTIONS - Entry thread, Weekly Comp - 08/08/20 - 16/08/20 International Weekly Comp Entries 28/0 Jediboy Last post August 09, 2020, 03:20:15 PM
xx Canon EF L IS USM 500 f/4 for sale Lenses 290/6 anglefire Last post August 05, 2020, 07:48:42 AM
xx Horizons ENTRIES 27/07 - 02/08/20 International Weekly Comp Entries 271/5 Oldboy Last post August 03, 2020, 10:25:12 PM