POLL - Outdoors Outdoors - ENTRY thread -...What is it? - CHAT thread...What is it? ENTRY thread ...End of an EraPoll - Doom and GloomDOOM and GLOOM CHAT 13-2...Outdoors - CHAT thread - ...DOOM and GLOOM ENTRIES 1...POLL - FruitPOLL - VehiclesENTRIES-FRUIT-Weekly Comp...CHAT-FRUIT-Weekly Comp 6-...VEHICLES - CHAT thread we...VEHICLES - ENTRY thread w...Poll - Portraits

Author Topic: Speakers Corner Meet - moved to identify this meet only...  (Read 6560 times)

Offline ABERS

• Black and White Images by Alan Abercrombie
Re: Speakers Corner Meet - moved to identify this meet only...
« Reply #45 on: September 25, 2009, 10:52:10 PM »
Sandy, I hope you won't take offence but don't just take photographs to please the judge, take 'em to please yourself. I'm a great believer in camera clubs, I belong to one myself and judges play a part in the competitive side of things. Having said that they are also a drag on inventiveness, expression and development. Once you know what the judges want and try to please them instead of yourself  you are trapped! :doh:

I rejoined my club again after 20 years absence and the same people that were there when I left were still there presenting the same pictures because their ideal was to get a 10 each month. The worst thing I sat through recently was a talk about 'What The Judge is Looking For', not once did the speaker mention a fresh approach or try something different, I'm pretty sure he wouldn't recognise it anyway.

By the way congratulations on your 20! :tup:

Offline Sandy

« Reply #46 on: September 26, 2009, 11:36:39 AM »
Thanks I understand what you are saying, however it was a really nice feeling last Tuesday. Iam in class2 which is the lower class there is also a class1 in competitions and this weeks judge actually gave me first and second place and two twenty's and I have never had twenty before and then he chose one of my photos has best print of the evening so I felt like I was walking on air. I do like taking all types of photos and hopefully I will get that feeling again of winning but I just like meeting up with other people in the club and talking about photography.

Sandy

Offline Oldboy

« Reply #47 on: September 26, 2009, 11:55:39 AM »
Thanks I understand what you are saying, however it was a really nice feeling last Tuesday. Iam in class2 which is the lower class there is also a class1 in competitions and this weeks judge actually gave me first and second place and two twenty's and I have never had twenty before and then he chose one of my photos has best print of the evening so I felt like I was walking on air. I do like taking all types of photos and hopefully I will get that feeling again of winning but I just like meeting up with other people in the club and talking about photography.

Sandy
Well done on your pictures winning. It's nice when others see what you think is a great picture, but as ABERS say's always take pictures that you like and enjoy. I don't belong to any clubs, but from what I've heard cruel comments can destroy a persons love of photography, and trying to please those people can stunt your growth as a great photographer.  ;D

latest Posts

Subject Board Views/Replies Member Date & Time
xx POLL - Outdoors International Weekly Comp Entries 50/0 Jediboy Last post September 29, 2020, 06:17:14 PM
xx Outdoors - ENTRY thread - Weekly Comp 20/09/30 - 27/09/20 International Weekly Comp Entries 161/4 Oldboy Last post September 28, 2020, 10:02:45 AM
xx What is it? - CHAT thread - Weekly Comp 26/09/2020 - 04/10/2020 International Weekly Comp Entries 24/0 Jediboy Last post September 27, 2020, 07:20:03 PM
xx What is it? ENTRY thread - Weekly Comp 26/09/2020 - 04/10/2020 International Weekly Comp Entries 17/0 Jediboy Last post September 27, 2020, 07:17:48 PM
xx End of an Era General Discussion 126/6 anglefire Last post September 27, 2020, 02:28:15 PM
xx Poll - Doom and Gloom International Weekly Comp Entries 203/5 Jediboy Last post September 26, 2020, 09:30:50 PM
xx DOOM and GLOOM CHAT 13-20/092020 International Weekly Comp Entries 227/6 jinky Last post September 22, 2020, 09:54:12 AM
xx Outdoors - CHAT thread - Weekly comp 20/09/20 - 27/09/20 International Weekly Comp Entries 154/4 Oldboy Last post September 22, 2020, 12:03:31 AM