POLL - Song Title SMALL - CHAT THREAD 16-22...SMALL - ENTRY THREAD 16-2...HeronSong Title CHAT thread 1s...Song Title ENTRY thread 1...Poll - Days out - 18th-25...Windows 10 19H1 is headin...POLL - SchoolSchool - Weekly Comp Entr...SCHOOL - Weekly comp Chat...Entry Thread - Days out -...POLL - DoorwaysChat Thread - Days out - ...1957 Ferrari California 2...Doorways - Entry Thread w...

Author Topic: MUSING  (Read 2524 times)

Offline ABERS

• Black and White Images by Alan Abercrombie
MUSING
« on: September 04, 2009, 08:06:38 AM »
Wandering around the Blog section of PRadar in the vain hope that I might glean some pearl of wisdom, I came across one by an employee of Future entitled "Avoid photographic cliches like the plague". I know that's difficult and it seems the author has avoided doing so by posting no pictures on his profile page, whereas all the other Future staff contributors have, with a fair sprinkling of cliched images.

This leads me on to two questions.

Why should we take notice of all the advice and techniques that are given by journalists whose images are to say the least somewhat mundane?

And two

List your top three photographic cliches that you consider should be avoided if possible?

Mine
#1 Tree bark images.
#2 The lone tree.
#3. Rape seed fields in full bloom.

Offline magicrhodes

Re: MUSING
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2009, 09:10:47 AM »
Anything that look like a Venture photograph! Unless you get good money for it!  ;D

Offline greypoint

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2009, 09:13:10 AM »
I would agree with the above and perhaps add the 'big stones in the foreground' water photos. But I'd still no doubt take these images if I had the opportunity because I'd like to have them taken by me. I suppose the trick is to try and take a cliche and twist it to make it less cliched. My big hate cliche wise is the glamour pout. I'm not saying models should smile inanely instead but there are so may facial expressions available and often all this pout does is make the model look miserable.

Offline SimonW

• Dunning Parish Historical Society
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2009, 09:24:37 AM »
Oh dear, I've not taken your number 1, but took a 2 and 3 this year and I'm pleased with both of them. (just posted them.) Yes, I knew they were cliches when I planned to them, but couldn't resist it.
Simon Warren
(in Dunning, Scotland)

Offline bones615

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2009, 09:44:49 AM »
long exposure water, the moon, water dripping from a tap. They have all been done to death but I will still have a go because some things  require a bit more effort than the normal shot & its all part of learning plus if youve made a bit more effort a good result should give a bit more satisfaction. Had a quick go at the moon recently, everything in manual (thats new) & failed miserably because I forgot to lock the mirror up & my tripod is probably not up to the job but i am learning and hopefully improving as a result.

Simon

Offline Simple

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2009, 10:18:22 AM »
Too many to mention, but I have got them all and will take them again if the opportunity arises. It is the only way to improve.
If I ever take an image that I think I cannot improve on, I will give all my photo equipment away and start a new hobby.

Offline magicrhodes

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2009, 10:28:35 AM »
My big hate cliche wise is the glamour pout. I'm not saying models should smile inanely instead but there are so may facial expressions available and often all this pout does is make the model look miserable.

Oh so true and the way that Mrs Beckham has employed and trademarked it after 15 years in the spot light.... whats so wrong with a smile  :)

Offline hevans

• Sigh....why me again??
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2009, 11:08:33 AM »
Mine include
  • lone tree (done this myself :-[...but it was a brilliant shot  ::))
  • pouting model
  • wet rock in the foreground, landscape beyond, usually misty water
  • old craggy people in B&W (little dig at Alan  :D)
  • any holiday snaps from Gil Ritchie
  • abstract "art" of old paint flakes
  • anything with colour "popping"

But to be honest, what hasn't already been "done". And with the growing popularity of digital cameras, what subject won't be considered overdone? We are constantly bombarded with/by images, so have we just reached sensory saturation anyway?

Is there anything truly novel to photograph left (without excessive photoshopping to create an image that just doesn't/won't/can't exist in the real world)? Or will it just be up to someone to find this new subject/composition/perspective?

For us hobby-ists, the time spent with the water drop/craggy landscape/street shots/etc is just part of the learning process, and our taking of these shots is nothing more than learning. So to me it's the journey not the destination (final image) that's important.

H.

Offline Jonathan

• PeopleByRyan
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2009, 11:40:16 AM »

My big hate cliche wise is the glamour pout. I'm not saying models should smile inanely instead but there are so may facial expressions available and often all this pout does is make the model look miserable.

Um, do you know the reason for the famous Beckham pout?

Try this (you'll need a mirror).  Look in the mirror at the area under your chin.  Note the loose skin there.  That's what allows you to eat and talk.  "Fashion" magazines call it a double chin (sometimes in the plural if they are unkind).  I once photographed an Olympic medal winning rower and yeah, he had a double chin.

Anyway.  Take the middle of your tongue and press it hard into the roof of your mouth.  Notice how the skin under your chin tightens.  According to the fashionistas you are suddenly thinner and therefore more attractive.  That's what Posh does all the time.

Now...while keeping the pressure up to get that lovely taught skin....smile.  Yep.  That's why so many people who read fashion mags look glum in pictures.

3 pics that annoy me?  None really.  There's plenty that bore me but I bet there's a photographer somewhere who could pull off a shot of a wet rock in front of a lone tree, drape it with a pouty model (possibly "artistically" naked) and have a craggy faced old man right on the left hand third looking on in disgust.

BTW, if I was running PR right now, I'd be paying people like Abers and Sue to start threads like this.  You'd have a vibrant community in a month.

It's Guest's round

Offline Oldboy

« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2009, 11:55:22 AM »
Well, I've done them all and will do so in the future. As for cliche items, how many old masters have painted a Madonna and child, but they still sell for millions! The whole point of taking a photo is because, you see something that stirs the soul, and it doesn't matter if others have done the same. As there are millions of photographers out there, every shot you take must have been taking by someone else. Forget all the rubbish sprouted by these people, because they haven't seen what you have seen in the subject. The skill is passing it off as something new.  :tup:

Offline ABERS

• Black and White Images by Alan Abercrombie
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2009, 12:02:45 PM »
It wasn't my intention to belittle 'The Cliched Image', Lord knows it's almost impossible if not completely.

I have a thing that says to me when I look through the viewfinder, "This has been done a million times before" I usually reply to myself "Well 1,00,001 won't make any difference.".

Ho hum here's to the next cliche. ::)

Offline Oldboy

« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2009, 12:27:06 PM »
It wasn't my intention to belittle 'The Cliched Image', Lord knows it's almost impossible if not completely.

I have a thing that says to me when I look through the viewfinder, "This has been done a million times before" I usually reply to myself "Well 1,00,001 won't make any difference.".

Ho hum here's to the next cliche. ::)

Wasn't having a go at you ABERS, but at the photo mags who say you shouldn't take photos of this or that, because it's been done to death. It's your camera, your hobby, your time, so photograph what you want.  ;D

Offline greypoint

« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2009, 12:33:57 PM »
Perhaps this could be a sort of unofficial challenge for September - during the month try to come up with something [non photoshop] that you think is totally non-cliched and, if not original, something that's not often seen in the way/at the angle/exposurewise etc. that you've captured it. We could have a thread where you post your effort - and where everyone else can pull it apart for its lack of originality! :2funny: :P

Offline CML-1591

• Flickr
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2009, 12:39:50 PM »
Mine include
  • anything with colour "popping"

Doh!

it Goes down well though, lol

• any holiday snaps from Gil Ritchie

Hmm, maybe the rocks one but i wouldn't mind having a go at getting one right though, not many rocks and waterfalls in Cov

Landscape photography is the supreme test of the photographer - and often the supreme disappointment. - Ansel Adams,

Offline Hinfrance

• Global Moderator
  • Cake is good
    • Hinfrance
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2009, 12:57:41 PM »
There are loads of otherwise worthy pictures that I think I've seen too many of, many mentioned above. And many that I wouldn't have the skill or patience to emulate.

I did finally manage to get a kodak tree picture this year - the pictures may be legion, but actually finding a lone tree hereabouts has taken me 7 years . . .

There is a reason why a certain style of image becomes a cliché - people like them. And after it is a cliché it's always fun to see what your own take on it comes out like. Probably not very well, but it's fun to try.

I've only done one wedding (a second point of view for some friends, obviously unpaid) - and of all of the pictures the bride and groom liked best the only colour popped image I did; and I only put it in because I had a half thought 'some people like this sort of thing'. They even stuck on their living room wall. Which just goes to show we don't all have the same taste and we're all different, thank heavens.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

latest Posts

Subject Board Views/Replies Member Date & Time
xx POLL - Song Title International Weekly Comp Entries 263/5 Jediboy Last post September 16, 2019, 10:49:12 AM
xx SMALL - CHAT THREAD 16-22nd September `19 International Weekly Comp Entries 34/0 jinky Last post September 16, 2019, 10:00:15 AM
xx SMALL - ENTRY THREAD 16-22nd September `19 International Weekly Comp Entries 53/0 jinky Last post September 16, 2019, 09:59:37 AM
xx Heron Wildlife Photography 117/4 anglefire Last post September 16, 2019, 07:17:49 AM
xx Song Title CHAT thread 1st-8th September `19 International Weekly Comp Entries 855/36 jinky Last post September 13, 2019, 03:02:01 PM
xx Song Title ENTRY thread 1st-8th September `19 International Weekly Comp Entries 173/4 Jediboy Last post September 09, 2019, 03:08:08 PM
xx Poll - Days out - 18th-25th August 2019 International Weekly Comp Entries 326/7 Hinfrance Last post September 08, 2019, 07:17:09 AM
xx Windows 10 19H1 is heading your way. PC computer questions, tips and how to's 2827/35 Mick Last post September 07, 2019, 02:45:08 PM