• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,411
  • Total Topics: 5,704
  • Online today: 297
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 26
  • Total: 26
  • Baidu
photobox
Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning ResourcesPhotography and Time of D...

Ransom

Started by Bigbill, September 02, 2009, 12:36:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bigbill

Hewwo from Breezey Sheffy.
Now then,this Friday i,m off to Folkestone for 7 days,with lots of pressing the shutter firmly on the agenda,,,,and i was setting about planning our days out when i got a bit of a shock,,,me being a bit of a thick Northener,i was intending visiting such places as Leeds Castle,Dover Castle etc etc to snap merrily away.
However,internet searches about visitors have really teed me off,admission charges at these places are SCANDALOUS !,i dont mind contributing to the upkeep of such places,as a matter of fact,i do quite a bit of stuff in churches,and ALWAYS leave a few quid out of courtesy,i even had a meeting with the powers that be at Sheffy Cathedral and they have now put in place a procedure for Photographers to make appointments and they will be helped !!
BUT,i,m not willing to pay £16-50(which would also be the same amount for Liz),plus a fee if i,m intending reproducing any of the pics,,,,,,,it would be £33 for leggy Liz to walk around with me,,,,,,this is not fair at all !!!
So,,,,,,if i did something like this 5 times during the week its a lot of dosh,,,,am i being overly tight here or are the places concerned being bloody greedy ?????
What do you lot think ????

Shine On 

Al Birmingham

Do they all belong to the national trust? If so it may well pay you to join. You don't hear of these places making massive profits so I suspect they are not being as greedy as it first appears although it's not exactly cheap either.
Al Birmingham

picsfor

Hi Bill,

from extremely windy and wet Brighton.

that was why i joined the NT - until they started getting arsy about photography and demanding we not only hand over rights to our pictures but also pay them for the privilege.

No such thing as a free lunch south of the Thames - it's money, money, money all the way.
But f you're in Kent you should speak to Jonathan - that's his neighbourhood. I'm sure he can point you in the right direction to a couple of photographically enjoyable and possibly money making locations.
Enjoy your week as well - i'm back up't north (west) in a few weeks- not sure where but i suppose i should give the lumie's another look for one evening only.
I know it will be considerably cheaper than down here!

Jonathan

They charge to get in Leeds Castle????  I always call the PR team and blag my way in :)

They do run a deal where for the cost of 1 entry you get "free" admission for a year.  Which is great value if you live here.  Or want to visit 5 times in the week you're here.

But give me a buzz and if I'm free I can introduce you to the delights of Dungeness.  No charge and pretty much guaranteed to be the weirdest place you've ever been.  Amazing for pics.  Of course when I went there with Al there were coppers with guns and stuff but I'm sure that couldn't happen again.
It's Guest's round

Bigbill

Hewwo from Gloomy Sheffy.

Cheers Jonathan,,,,much appreciated,,,,,,now then,,,,i accept the free for a year stuff,BUT,wheres the day ticket price ??
As far as i can see,these places all come under English Heritage,which i,m considering joining because they havent yet adopted NTs Nazi approach to us as yet !
I seem to remember the Govt decreeing that all Museums etc etc would be free of charge,,,,,what happened to that ?
All over Merseyside all this stuff is free,,,,,just seems at best inconsistent,,and £16-50 does seem over the top,you and your Mrs forking out 30 odd quid,,,,,,,its less than that to go watch the Owls,,,,,but there again !!
Thanks for the input everyone.
I will still be spending a day at Canterbury Cathedral though,always wanted to go there.
I was once at York Minster for a Memorial service for my son,and they sent a collection plate round,now that REALLY did annoy me !!!!!

Shine On

Al Birmingham

yeah, it may be an idea not to point your camera at the nuclear power station, it must be very frustrating to carry a gun all day and not be allowed to shoot wierdoes with cameras! Take a strong brolly and some filters to make use me some wicked sky lines. :tup:
Al Birmingham

Jonathan

Here's an idea for a cheap day out

1. give me a call to set a day - Monday or Wednesday are best - don't ring the freephone - you should be able to find my mobile number :)
2. pop over to the gallery for a cuppa and say nice things about my snaps
3. WALK to Canterbury Cathedral (saving enough on parking to get a nice lunch in the Buttermarket)
4. Pay the 6 quid or whatever - they deserve it.  Take in your tripod and stay all day.  I might even come along for a bit cos, err, I get free entry
5. Stroll back to your car, wow at the gallery once more, drive back to Folkestone

BTW half price Kent.
It's Guest's round

Sandy

Hastings is always a nice to visit, its free and there are the fishing boats on the beach. My camera club had an outing there this year and we got some frame filling shots of seagulls that were hovering in the wind

Sandy

Trickee

Its not just the entry fees its the car parking as well, went down to Weymouth earlier this year and in some places it was £7 for all day parking. daylight robbery >:( >:(

picsfor

Quote from: Jonathan on September 02, 2009, 02:57:25 PM
They charge to get in Leeds Castle????  I always call the PR team and blag my way in :)

But give me a buzz and if I'm free I can introduce you to the delights of Dungeness.  there were coppers with guns and stuff but I'm sure that couldn't happen again.

If you tell me when you're going i'll see if i can't drop those nice gun wealding coppers a note to say that you're not carrying any Canons or similar dangerous stuff  ;D

picsfor

Quote from: Sandy on September 02, 2009, 06:50:38 PM
Hastings is always a nice to visit, its free and there are the fishing boats on the beach. My camera club had an outing there this year and we got some frame filling shots of seagulls that were hovering in the wind

Sandy

Frame filling shots of Seagulls hovering in the wind? In Brighton the Seagulls don't fill the frame with "hover in the wind" - they use something else.
Worse still they normally get the supplies from attacking the pier visitors like a scene out of Hitchocks "The Birds" to get it.

nickt

Quote from: Trickee on September 02, 2009, 08:03:21 PM
Its not just the entry fees its the car parking as well, went down to Weymouth earlier this year and in some places it was £7 for all day parking. daylight robbery >:( >:(
In central London it's 4 pound an hour to park. 7 pounds for all day sounds cheap to me! :)

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.