POLL - Song Title SMALL - CHAT THREAD 16-22...SMALL - ENTRY THREAD 16-2...HeronSong Title CHAT thread 1s...Song Title ENTRY thread 1...Poll - Days out - 18th-25...Windows 10 19H1 is headin...POLL - SchoolSchool - Weekly Comp Entr...SCHOOL - Weekly comp Chat...Entry Thread - Days out -...POLL - DoorwaysChat Thread - Days out - ...1957 Ferrari California 2...Doorways - Entry Thread w...

Author Topic: Posting Pictures - how often should they be posted?  (Read 1312 times)

picsfor

Posting Pictures - how often should they be posted?
« on: August 31, 2009, 09:42:03 AM »
As i wonder through various sites i come across various familiar faces and names and get to look at the galleries.
I notice various pictures being duplicated across various galleries.

My question i suppose is this...

What is considered the right level of duplicate posting. I can appreciate that a different audience may be reached on different sites - but there are only so many sites and should those same images be posted on all the sites or should there be a variety?

I'm not trying to have a pop before any one jumps in, i'm just trying to understand what the consensus is before i start posting some pictures.

Andrew

Offline Damon

Re: Posting Pictures - how often should they be posted?
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2009, 09:58:42 AM »
I guess the answer to this one is....... It`s down to the individual. Some people, like you say, belong to many sites & probably like to have the same gallerys on all of them.
Personaly, i prefer to have my website linked & thats where i tend to show my picture`s as a kind of a personal gallery.
Hope i understood your question correctly, Andrew.
Damon.

Online Mick

• I've got the latest Canon - 4 rings, double oven and eye level grill! And HD video!
  • Administrator
  • I really, really hate lawn mowers.
    • Camera Craniums
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2009, 10:08:57 AM »
As Damond said, it's really up to you.  If you want people to look at your pics then spread them about.  ;)  :D
Thank You, "Guest" For Reading This Post.

My Gallery
Tinyportal.net Running SMF 2.0.13 / Tinyportal 1.0
Guitarist Guild Running SMF 2.0.13 / Tinyportal 1.2R
The Garden Machinery Forum Running SMF 2.0.13 / Tinyportal 1.2R

picsfor

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2009, 10:32:26 AM »
Thanks guys.

I think i'm having one of those "where do i want to go with my photography" moments.
And top of such a thinking process is - who do you want to see your images and how?

Well, time to start practicing my photoshop again to make my pictures look pretty!

Andrew

Offline Oldboy

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2009, 10:44:51 AM »
I try never to post the same images on different websites, as most people on DCM tend to move between them, and it can get a bit sameness for viewing.  ;D

Offline spinner

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2009, 12:24:52 PM »
I tend to post here and Facebook. I have posted elsewhere but not for a while, like most ex DCM'rs I stopped posting there when they announced it's demise. I post on Facebook for friends and family so it gets anything and everything. I'm particular about what get's posted here..  :-[
And more, much more than this, I did it my way
Ol' blue eyes

http://ddsdigita4.wix.com/ddsdigital
https://www.flickr.com/photos/spin498/

Offline ABERS

• Black and White Images by Alan Abercrombie
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2009, 02:59:07 PM »
I now have three places where I post images, apart from here there's flickr and my web site. My web site is where I display what I think are my best images and on flickr, images that are mainly there as a sounding board or as a bit of fun. I packed up on DCM way back earlier in the year. Of the ten or so I've posted here only three are on other sites.

I'm going down a different road at the moment with a 'softer' approach and trying to develop images that are pleasing to the eye, but avoiding too much of a chocolate box effect.

To that end I've opted for B+W infrared with minimal toning, can't abide infrared colour. So you'll be seeing all those sorts of pictures on here rather than anything else that's on other sites. Mind you I'm building up a decent portfolio that will hopefully be an added gallery on my web site.

As far as the cocolate box effect is concerned a mate and myself meet regularly to award one another a Chocbox rating on our images, Cadbury 10 is the highest rating, meaning we think that Cadbury would use it with no quibble. The one we strive for is Cadbury zero, as far removed as possible from Cadbury's packaging design department's standards.  ;)
« Last Edit: August 31, 2009, 03:01:51 PM by ABERS »

Offline Eileen

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2009, 06:26:15 PM »
I generally post pretty much everything on Flickr but keep this site for ones I particularly like or just fancy posting here. I hadn't thought of posting different pictures on each site but will give that some thought. I don't have a problem seeing other peoples' duplicate posts though I mostly only comment when I see them first. The only other place I currently post anything is my blog which is a sort of exploratory/learning journel related to my courre work. I sometimes post pictures on that which wouldn't make it onto my galleries but which show learning points (or mistakes!).

I'm enjoying your chocolate box pictures Alan. Wasn't sure whether you were getting the effect in software or in camera - it looked to me like you had an infrared camera or filter as the pictures work pretty well. Have been meaning to try IR for some time now myself but my attempts to bodge something in Photoshop have been pretty feeble so far.

Offline ABERS

• Black and White Images by Alan Abercrombie
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2009, 06:52:19 PM »
Oh Eileen, so they are chocolate box pictures  :'( and I'm trying so hard to not make them so.
I've had an A100 converted to IR and getting the hang of it, especially finding the right WB setting for each lighting condition.

Offline greypoint

« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2009, 08:55:10 PM »
I put hundreds on flickr at this time of the year because our charity organises or attends lots of dog shows and we use the pictures to raise funds in a number of ways. I'll put just a few on other sites. I post a few on birdforum when I've got something I like or to keep in touch with my BF friend Wilma in The Netherlands - she always appreciates a good swan or two! On the whole my pictures are just a record of where we've been and what I've seen. And of course if you're taking pics of people's dogs you have to remember that a lot of them like 'chocolate box' 8)

Offline DavidHammond

• Clueless
    • David Hammond
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2009, 09:26:17 PM »
I only have a few pictures I feel really proud of, and are worthy of showing off.

I post these pics on my website, here, and FlickR.

At the moment I am just after getting some feedback on my photo's and over the next year enter some competitions to add a new edge to my photography by working towards something.

latest Posts

Subject Board Views/Replies Member Date & Time
xx POLL - Song Title International Weekly Comp Entries 263/5 Jediboy Last post September 16, 2019, 10:49:12 AM
xx SMALL - CHAT THREAD 16-22nd September `19 International Weekly Comp Entries 34/0 jinky Last post September 16, 2019, 10:00:15 AM
xx SMALL - ENTRY THREAD 16-22nd September `19 International Weekly Comp Entries 53/0 jinky Last post September 16, 2019, 09:59:37 AM
xx Heron Wildlife Photography 117/4 anglefire Last post September 16, 2019, 07:17:49 AM
xx Song Title CHAT thread 1st-8th September `19 International Weekly Comp Entries 855/36 jinky Last post September 13, 2019, 03:02:01 PM
xx Song Title ENTRY thread 1st-8th September `19 International Weekly Comp Entries 173/4 Jediboy Last post September 09, 2019, 03:08:08 PM
xx Poll - Days out - 18th-25th August 2019 International Weekly Comp Entries 326/7 Hinfrance Last post September 08, 2019, 07:17:09 AM
xx Windows 10 19H1 is heading your way. PC computer questions, tips and how to's 2827/35 Mick Last post September 07, 2019, 02:45:08 PM