POLL - Song Title SMALL - CHAT THREAD 16-22...SMALL - ENTRY THREAD 16-2...HeronSong Title CHAT thread 1s...Song Title ENTRY thread 1...Poll - Days out - 18th-25...Windows 10 19H1 is headin...POLL - SchoolSchool - Weekly Comp Entr...SCHOOL - Weekly comp Chat...Entry Thread - Days out -...POLL - DoorwaysChat Thread - Days out - ...1957 Ferrari California 2...Doorways - Entry Thread w...

Author Topic: video editing software help please :)  (Read 2043 times)

Offline oRGie

video editing software help please :)
« on: August 16, 2009, 06:44:10 PM »
Been trying to get my head around video editing and formats and compression etc, whole new world of complex settings lol, thing is I have a dvd of the band I work with, on it are 3 vob files which I need to stich together and convert to avi or mpeg4, then I need to slice up the songs into seperate video files and then compress to work on utube etc but still be good quality. I have seen some fantastic videos on utube quality wise, so I know there is a way if I could just find mine lol..

I have managed to rip the vobs to avi, but the iq is not good enough. Even so I opened it up in premiere and edited it, well copied one song I should say, rendered it and saved it as an avi, but it came out huge 621mb from the original small compressed avi, so i went wrong somewhere with settings....

What I could do with a short idiots guide to which free software to rip the dvd vob file to avi or mpeg4, what compression settings to use to get good quality at utube size ?

I have premiere, windoze movie maker, ojosoft total video converter...  

I've been reading the av forums and others, but they all talk assuming you have a clue what they are on about lol, I guess like coming to a camera forum and asking which 50p compact should I buy :)

HELP  :beer:

Offline anglefire

• Canon Biggamist. Four bodies and some lenses. :)
  • Canon Owner and Proud of it :)
    • Mark Colston Photography
Re: video editing software help please :)
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2009, 06:46:26 PM »
At this point I'm going to suggest a Apple Mac and Imovie! It seems to do what you want!

But have you tried the equivalent MovieMaker (I think its called) from Microsoft?
----------------------------------
Mark
* A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odourless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Offline oRGie

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2009, 06:50:32 PM »
lol, I wouldnt mind a mac for the hell of it for a change, but for now I will have to stick with the pc  :D

I couldnt open the avi in windoze movie maker, a problem with the format or codecs I guess, I tried to dl the codec automatically, but it was coming to a dead end/server address, but it opened up fine in premiere. I guess I went wrong ripping from the dvd vob file in the first place  :legit:

Offline oRGie

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2009, 04:10:21 PM »
hmm...   quality not great, it came from hq dvd video and size wasnt great either, but once up on utube it loads ok, what do we think ?

« Last Edit: August 17, 2009, 04:12:07 PM by oRGie »

Offline Mick

• I've got the latest Canon - 4 rings, double oven and eye level grill! And HD video!
  • Administrator
  • I really, really hate lawn mowers.
    • Camera Craniums
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2009, 04:30:01 PM »
I use this freebie software to rip DVD movies to my sons PSP  works a treat.  Not sure if it will do what you need though.

Handbrake

Ps:  Your vid on youtube looks as good as most I've seen on there.  8)
« Last Edit: August 17, 2009, 04:31:42 PM by admin »
Thank You, "Guest" For Reading This Post.

My Gallery
Tinyportal.net Running SMF 2.0.13 / Tinyportal 1.0
Guitarist Guild Running SMF 2.0.13 / Tinyportal 1.2R
The Garden Machinery Forum Running SMF 2.0.13 / Tinyportal 1.2R

Offline oRGie

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2009, 04:36:12 PM »
thanks, i'll take a look,,,   was the vid slow loading for you mick?

Offline Mick

• I've got the latest Canon - 4 rings, double oven and eye level grill! And HD video!
  • Administrator
  • I really, really hate lawn mowers.
    • Camera Craniums
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2009, 04:43:11 PM »
thanks, i'll take a look,,,   was the vid slow loading for you mick?

oRgie, loaded fine, no delay at all to speak of. ;)
Thank You, "Guest" For Reading This Post.

My Gallery
Tinyportal.net Running SMF 2.0.13 / Tinyportal 1.0
Guitarist Guild Running SMF 2.0.13 / Tinyportal 1.2R
The Garden Machinery Forum Running SMF 2.0.13 / Tinyportal 1.2R

Offline Damon

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2009, 07:47:12 PM »
hmm...   quality not great, it came from hq dvd video and size wasnt great either, but once up on utube it loads ok, what do we think ?

Great music :tup:
Damon.

Offline oRGie

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2009, 09:37:43 PM »

hey thanks :)  I have put up the rest of that concert if you want to have a listen to any other songs..

Offline northbeach

• CC Regular visitor
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2009, 11:52:40 PM »
Terrific!  It looked  good, it loaded quickly.  It seems to end before it had ended, if you grt what I mean but perhaps that was your intention. 

You did a good job with this!  '

Sheila :tup:
"In a hundred years, all new people."  My Gallery

Offline Damon

« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2009, 07:02:40 PM »

hey thanks :)  I have put up the rest of that concert if you want to have a listen to any other songs..

Thanks for that. Been having a good listen, crackin band.  :tup: :beer: :tup: :beer: :tup: :beer: :tup: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer:
Damon.

Offline jimthetrain

« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2009, 07:29:24 PM »
For all video problems there is a site I use called www.videohelp.com. It has guides to every ripping suite you will ever need and more, also links to where you can get all the software aswell.  :tup:
BOOZE!!! Helping ugly people have sex.

Offline Hinfrance

• Global Moderator
  • Cake is good
    • Hinfrance
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2009, 09:11:08 PM »
I use Serif MoviePlus (current version X3). It's very good, unlimited video and audio tracks, although the audio is a bit simple. It's a super non linear editor and fairly easy to get to grips with.

Later: just had a quick look at the video. I'm thinking the sound could do with a bit of a boost - I'm guessing the soundtrack was either from a camera microphone or the from the FOH mix from the desk - the midrange especially needs a bit of a lift. There a quite a few sound editors available, although I haven't done any music work for ages I'm sure you can find something in the freeware catalogues that will allow for at least graphic or parametric equalisation to help with the clarity.

I have made a few recordings (my bands and others) in my time and have worked as a sound engineer (played my last gig 6 years ago, still got some of the kit in the basement) - live is always the hardest to capture, and it's a complete beggar without multitrack recording.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2009, 09:29:31 PM by Tringle WP »
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

Offline oRGie

« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2009, 12:07:51 AM »
I use Serif MoviePlus (current version X3). It's very good, unlimited video and audio tracks, although the audio is a bit simple. It's a super non linear editor and fairly easy to get to grips with.

Later: just had a quick look at the video. I'm thinking the sound could do with a bit of a boost - I'm guessing the soundtrack was either from a camera microphone or the from the FOH mix from the desk - the midrange especially needs a bit of a lift. There a quite a few sound editors available, although I haven't done any music work for ages I'm sure you can find something in the freeware catalogues that will allow for at least graphic or parametric equalisation to help with the clarity.

I have made a few recordings (my bands and others) in my time and have worked as a sound engineer (played my last gig 6 years ago, still got some of the kit in the basement) - live is always the hardest to capture, and it's a complete beggar without multitrack recording.

The audio was a mix from the desk to the lighting guys desk who was also editing on the fly for the big screens, we got what he did :)   I hadnt actually thought too much about the audio as its not at all bad, on the dvd it sounds very good over the speakers etc, but I see what you mean about the compressed versions. I do actually have sony sounforge9 and ozone mastering, so I will have a look at what I can do. I have never edited an audio stream for a video though, lol, another learning curve no doubt...  thanks for taking time to view and comment  :beer:

Offline Hinfrance

• Global Moderator
  • Cake is good
    • Hinfrance
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2009, 07:23:44 AM »
I'm sure you'll have fun doing it. The FOH mix is often bottom heavy when reproduced outside of the concert hall because of the way that PA drivers and the human ear work; that and the fact that most PA guys seem to be ex drummers  :D.

I've had 'professional' videos done of two of my concerts - the first one the 'professional' managed to avoid recording even one entire track, so that was useless, and the second one didn't take the sound off of the desk as requested, so that was useless too, so although he did vid the whole thing the on camera sound was terrible.

Will you post a link to the final version when you've done?

The posted track put me in mind of Stiltskin btw.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

latest Posts

Subject Board Views/Replies Member Date & Time
xx POLL - Song Title International Weekly Comp Entries 204/5 Jediboy Last post Today at 10:49:12 AM
xx SMALL - CHAT THREAD 16-22nd September `19 International Weekly Comp Entries 18/0 jinky Last post Today at 10:00:15 AM
xx SMALL - ENTRY THREAD 16-22nd September `19 International Weekly Comp Entries 33/0 jinky Last post Today at 09:59:37 AM
xx Heron Wildlife Photography 104/4 anglefire Last post Today at 07:17:49 AM
xx Song Title CHAT thread 1st-8th September `19 International Weekly Comp Entries 823/36 jinky Last post September 13, 2019, 03:02:01 PM
xx Song Title ENTRY thread 1st-8th September `19 International Weekly Comp Entries 162/4 Jediboy Last post September 09, 2019, 03:08:08 PM
xx Poll - Days out - 18th-25th August 2019 International Weekly Comp Entries 307/7 Hinfrance Last post September 08, 2019, 07:17:09 AM
xx Windows 10 19H1 is heading your way. PC computer questions, tips and how to's 2774/35 Mick Last post September 07, 2019, 02:45:08 PM