POLL - Song Title SMALL - CHAT THREAD 16-22...SMALL - ENTRY THREAD 16-2...HeronSong Title CHAT thread 1s...Song Title ENTRY thread 1...Poll - Days out - 18th-25...Windows 10 19H1 is headin...POLL - SchoolSchool - Weekly Comp Entr...SCHOOL - Weekly comp Chat...Entry Thread - Days out -...POLL - DoorwaysChat Thread - Days out - ...1957 Ferrari California 2...Doorways - Entry Thread w...

Author Topic: camera mags  (Read 3975 times)

Offline irv_b

camera mags
« on: August 14, 2009, 12:24:23 PM »
Right my DCmag is due for renewal in a couple of months, so I am thinking whether to renew it and re-read the subjects presented in a slightly different way or go to a new mag and see if there are new ideas!
Therefore the question are?
  • What in your expieriences is the best mag or are the all the same 
  • What in your expieriences is the best mag or are the all the same

Is it really worth getting a mag - I personally still for me think it is

My Gallery

Don't count the days "Guest," make the days count!.

Offline greypoint

Re: camera mags
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2009, 12:29:31 PM »
Have'nt bought a camera mag in ages. I found they took about ten minutes to read the bits I was interested in so seemed a bit expensive! For content I always found Photography Monthly had the most of interest. All magazines re-hash the same stuff and the news items are freely available on line - put the money aside each month and it'll add a bit to your camera fund ::)

Offline Alfonso_Frisk

• Global Moderator
    • http://www.flickr.com/photos/nosmo_king2007/
    • My Shipping images
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2009, 02:33:33 PM »
They all recycle the content, but IMHO DC Mag is the worst of the them all for how often they do it and without much change to the theme and writer/expert.
I prefer practical photography out  of them all. In fact I have just taken another subscription out after leaving alone for a year.
http://www.fluidr.com/photos/nosmo_king2007
http://www.seateamimages.com/search.php
Wine improves with age, The older I get the more I like it.

Offline Zenmer

• CC Regular visitor
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2009, 07:08:27 PM »
I gave up on DCM ages ago and moved to Outdoor Photograhy, find it far more nteresting for what I want to know
Two things are infinite : the universe and human stupidity; I’m not sure about the universe

skellum

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2009, 08:10:04 PM »
I have recently purchased a copy of Out Door Photography and thought it was very good.  All the others seem to say very much the same thing all the time infact if you started a subscription to one of them today for 12 months you will just about cover everything untill they start repeating
themselves again. :legit:

Offline wendoureecat

• CC Regular visitor
    • Art Thru A Lens
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2009, 12:15:05 AM »
the only mag I buy now is digital SLR photography its the only one that takes me longer than 15 mins to read every article

Offline Eileen

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2009, 12:18:20 AM »
I also like Outdoor Photography. Really excellent work and lots of interesting in-depth features.
Occasionally I look at Black and White Photography - once every few months I find they have some useful tips on toning and the like and very good featured TOGs.
But my regular read is Amateur Photographer. I like the new style, especially the 'How I took this picture' sections from the resident pros. And they have a much more diverse range of photography, not just digital or flavour of the month stuff. They were the first mag I saw starting to argue that we should look again at natural landscapes with water that looks like water and not milky froth, for example, and they regularly feature pictures taken on film.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2009, 07:22:26 PM by Eileen »

Offline spinner

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2009, 01:39:56 AM »
Haven't bought a Mag in over a year. I still go to the newstand, leaf through them and move on. Other than reviews of new equipment, there doesn't appear to be anything new under the sun.
And more, much more than this, I did it my way
Ol' blue eyes

http://ddsdigita4.wix.com/ddsdigital
https://www.flickr.com/photos/spin498/

Offline John Doyle2

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2009, 02:30:01 AM »
Outdoor Photograhy, Good read and not full of junk!

Offline Chris P

• pSquared Photography
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2009, 09:21:00 AM »
I must admit I probably won't renew my DCM subscription but I have taken out one for Amatuer Photographer which is a lot more interesting to read and has a lot of useful stuff in.  Also it's weekly which considering DCM takes about 20 minutes to read from cover to cover is a bonus!

Offline Bigbill

• Gigstills
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2009, 06:11:58 PM »
Hewwo from Windy Sheffy,

Have to say,DCM is predictable and boring,but i do find the discs worthwhile,as for the mag content,well,its C R A P,and my sub will not be renewed.
However,i would deffo recommend Digital Photo,its punchy,has lots of hands on techy advice,and i generaly find it a good read,,,,,,
i also enjoy my monthly Sheffield River Wideners Club Gazette !!

OWLS ROOL ok

Offline nickt

• nick.thompson photography
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2009, 12:44:48 AM »
I've a subscription with Black and White Photography mag and get Amateur Photographer every week. All the others seem to be a bit samey.
Nick

Offline Trickee

• Mysite
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2009, 11:39:25 PM »
http://www.isubscribe.co.uk/title_info.cfm?prodid=12719&gclid=CLLnyYuquJwCFUYA4wodh18XoA

just looked at a preview of outdoor photography-well impressed the quality of the pictures are stunning and a reasonable price. :)

Offline ABERS

• Black and White Images by Alan Abercrombie
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2009, 07:53:25 AM »
I find most magazines very  'Samey'. When I occasionally read one, note read not buy one, I always have the feeling I've read it before, They all go through the same cycle of Special Features, and promise unattainable levels of expertise. It's a bit like Golf and Angling magazines, two other pastimes that I indulge in, I always thought that if I took all those magazines together and did what they advise I would eventually be someone who regularly caught specimen fish, got gold medals in every photographic exhibition whilst playing off scratch. But it doesn't seem to work like that  :-[, so I just bumble along without them and enjoy myself :D.

P.S. I do buy Black + White Photography. For two reasons Eamonn Mcabe, a favourite photographer of mine is a staff writer and in the main it's written in an adult style, no mention of words like fab, wow, togs, blads or Twitter etc. ;). That's an age thing I suppose.

Offline Sandy

« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2009, 08:58:21 AM »
I buy most magazines for the year and have now found the same sort of things in them that were there last year,however I do now have a very large collection of free CD and if I actually looked at them my photography might improve. I did get Digital Photo this month because of the title page how to shoot perfect landscapes, and inside they say that 50% of modern photography occurs on the computer.

Sandy

latest Posts

Subject Board Views/Replies Member Date & Time
xx POLL - Song Title International Weekly Comp Entries 262/5 Jediboy Last post September 16, 2019, 10:49:12 AM
xx SMALL - CHAT THREAD 16-22nd September `19 International Weekly Comp Entries 34/0 jinky Last post September 16, 2019, 10:00:15 AM
xx SMALL - ENTRY THREAD 16-22nd September `19 International Weekly Comp Entries 53/0 jinky Last post September 16, 2019, 09:59:37 AM
xx Heron Wildlife Photography 117/4 anglefire Last post September 16, 2019, 07:17:49 AM
xx Song Title CHAT thread 1st-8th September `19 International Weekly Comp Entries 855/36 jinky Last post September 13, 2019, 03:02:01 PM
xx Song Title ENTRY thread 1st-8th September `19 International Weekly Comp Entries 173/4 Jediboy Last post September 09, 2019, 03:08:08 PM
xx Poll - Days out - 18th-25th August 2019 International Weekly Comp Entries 326/7 Hinfrance Last post September 08, 2019, 07:17:09 AM
xx Windows 10 19H1 is heading your way. PC computer questions, tips and how to's 2827/35 Mick Last post September 07, 2019, 02:45:08 PM