STREET-CHAT-Weekly Comp 1...POLL for STREETSTREET-ENTRIES-Weekly Com...Horizons PollREFLECTIONS - Chat Threa...REFLECTIONS - Entry threa...Canon EF L IS USM 500 f/4...Horizons ENTRIES 27/07...What annoyed you today?POLL for TIME OUTTIME OUT. Chat thread wee...TIME OUT. Entry thread w...Horizons CHAT thread 2...POLL -NUMBERS and / or LE...NUMBERS and / or LETTERS ...POLL Happiness is.......

Author Topic: Digital photo albums  (Read 1007 times)

Offline Reinardina

• Still trying to master photography.
Digital photo albums
« on: November 14, 2018, 10:38:45 AM »
In Indonesia at the moment, and though I gave up on photograpgy, I could not  not bring my camera. Have taken quite a few shots but won't see them properly till I am home.
If I like the results I  may want to make a digital album; just for family and friends, not a coffee table art project.

Can anyone recommend a reliable service? Good but not ott expensive.

Internet here very hit and miss.

Beauty is bought by judgment of the eye.
Shakespeare. (Love's Labours Lost.)

Offline SimonW

• Dunning Parish Historical Society
Re: Digital photo albums
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2018, 08:24:27 AM »
Photobox have made several books for me. I've been very pleased with quality, price, fast delivery, and the ease of setting up the pages etc.

Simon
Simon Warren
(in Dunning, Scotland)

Offline Beaux Reflets

• Global Moderator
  • Commonsense answers a whole load of the unanswered
    • Beaux Reflets
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2018, 08:29:52 AM »
Hi Reinardina,

Open Office and other Word processing programs have 'Presentation' templates that allow you to create 'E books' with incredible ease; Simply export and save the document presentation as a .pdf file -  :tup:

Just an idea, and the only cost is your time spent in creating each  'e Album '  ;)

Looking forward to seeing Indonesia.
:beer: Andy

"Light anchors things in place and gives perspective meaning."

The choices we make are rooted in reflection.

http://beauxreflets.blogspot.com/

Offline Reinardina

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2018, 08:50:44 AM »
Thanks Simon and Andy.

Decades ago, I did an album through Albelli, and I believe that was taken over by Photobox?

I want something to show to people who have been asking to see pictures since they knew I was considering going, so a book is better than a presentation on a computer.

I will definitely upload some when I'm back, but it can take a while as there will be quite a lot, and I'll be off to Austria for Christmas again.

Not back in my old photographer form though, and I have missed quite a few good shots because I was not prepared. Still love the liberated feeling if I do not carry a camera round. So much more relaxing!

Offline jinky

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2018, 08:51:23 AM »
I`m not sure what it is you are asking for Reinardina. Is it a hard copy book created digitally online through one of the multiple providers as Simon suggests or the easy solution provided by Beaux Reflets . Past clients used to talk of digital albums when they meant a book with images printed on hard or soft pages so i`m confused here.

If anyone is looking for good photobook manufacturers I reckon I`ve used them all and usually on great reduced priced groupon or other such deals.
I can recommend Colorland after getting my recent Alaskan trip book back available for a great price on Groupon

https://www.groupon.co.uk/deals/colorland-185?p=7&nlp=&CID=UK&uu=54be6208-3022-41c6-8cc2-72155ea740dd&tx=0&utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&sid=41ec5dc2-55af-4f8c-9f47-273f8c1ba1bb_0_20181115_treatment1&t_division=leeds&date=20181511&sender=rm&s=body&c=title&d=deal-page&utm_campaign=colorland-185

Can also recommend SmileyHippo with another great deal on Wowcher
https://www.wowcher.co.uk/email-deals/shop/9461795/106-page-a4-landscape-photobook-14?Linkpos=Title&blockpos=13&deal=9461795&ito=wowcher_email_National_Default_RS%202018-11-15_RS_rscount_34&cauth=16045d7f-bf28-472e-89d2-b82372555afb&st_cid=15092021&st_rid=6565155

On both you can be as adventurous as you like with their software as they allow for an auto collation of images (never used it) or full manual. I always do it manually setting up each image box (es) as I want them adding text boxes manually where I want them but sometimes utilising their page layout sets. I always use a plain black or white background rather than their themes.
I`ve used and recommend  Photobox too but never get them at those price points and have also used Huggler who are very good.

Never , ever be tempted by Printerpix. I used them once and they printed the book 4 times at their extra expense before accepting that they had failed and quoting printer profile problems at their end!

EDIT
I now see it is a book you want. If you use the deals above check out the Fine Print sections which let you know the add on deliver costs - usually £5-6 but more importantly by what date you have to upload the book by to get the deal given your availability dates. Smileyhippo are short dates - Colorland really long in my experience.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2018, 08:53:54 AM by jinky »

Offline jinky

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2018, 09:11:14 AM »
One more tip - the differences in price are often about whether you get layflat pages which make a big difference on a travel book. EG my Alaska book I went with Colorland - no lay flat pages. Everyone who has seen it loves the colours and presentation except me because it is a 140 page book that cost me only £20 but is too big for non layflat pages. The full page spreads I did can not be appreciated thus I  feel - although no-one else seems bothered.

Another better quality cheap provider offering lay flat pages and even a cheap make up service is Shutterfly with big reductions for first time users and I`ve used their products for weddingclients in the past even at a fraction of big company costs. Even allowing for them shipping from the US they are great value on a deal.
https://www.shutterfly.com/

I must have made over 40 books now of my travels and family stuff excluding the few more wedding albums. They are an art in themselves done well and mine have improved over time as I have got better at layout. My bits of advice:
* Never use their auto themes or layouts - too many odd frames come out at the print stage that you hadn`t noticed and if they do it automatically their choice of layout / image sizes will rarely suit
* Don`t get greedy and put too many images on one page. For weddings I used to ask clients to use 40-45 images for a 20 sided book maximum and for travel books I tend to think of no more than say 200 for a 40 page book
* Make sure you decide on your best images and give them a full page to appreciate them. On a themed page of less impressive images pile them up eg I took a load of images of number plates in Alaska - very different to ours with images and  text - and a whole page of 12 of them worked well.
* Preview the book well before hitting the order button especially the text bits
* If there is a problem in printing , even one small mark , don`t settle for it. They`ll reprint for free and post free if it`s their fault.3 /4 times I`ve been able to pass on the faulty copy to friends that were with us  who were happy to receive them. I don`t abuse this but am eager to see proper service given whatever the price.

Happy to help through PMs if you use any of the above and hit any problems.

Offline Reinardina

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2018, 10:21:20 AM »
Thanks Paul, that was a good read while waiting for a thunderstorm to wear itself out.
Lots of good advice  I will re-read again when I am ready to give it a go.

latest Posts

Subject Board Views/Replies Member Date & Time
xx STREET-CHAT-Weekly Comp 1/8-9/8/2020 International Weekly Comp Entries 160/5 Jediboy Last post Today at 11:55:14 AM
question POLL for STREET International Weekly Comp Entries 64/0 Hinfrance Last post August 11, 2020, 08:10:27 AM
xx STREET-ENTRIES-Weekly Comp 1/8-9/8/2020 International Weekly Comp Entries 186/4 Jediboy Last post August 10, 2020, 06:57:54 PM
xx Horizons Poll International Weekly Comp Entries 233/4 anglefire Last post August 09, 2020, 04:51:11 PM
xx REFLECTIONS - Chat Thread, Weekly Comp - 08/08/20 - 16/08/20 International Weekly Comp Entries 74/2 Jediboy Last post August 09, 2020, 03:31:50 PM
xx REFLECTIONS - Entry thread, Weekly Comp - 08/08/20 - 16/08/20 International Weekly Comp Entries 27/0 Jediboy Last post August 09, 2020, 03:20:15 PM
xx Canon EF L IS USM 500 f/4 for sale Lenses 289/6 anglefire Last post August 05, 2020, 07:48:42 AM
xx Horizons ENTRIES 27/07 - 02/08/20 International Weekly Comp Entries 271/5 Oldboy Last post August 03, 2020, 10:25:12 PM