• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,411
  • Total Topics: 5,704
  • Online today: 297
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 188
  • Total: 188
photobox
Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning ResourcesPhotography and Time of D...

Trade in Dilemna

Started by jinky, November 10, 2018, 01:04:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jinky

I feel that I am at a crossroads with my dslr. I have always loved my Nikon D700 but it has pretty much sat unused in the wardrobe packed in silica gel sachets with my lenses since I got my Fuji XT10. I`ve not got rid yet because:
1. The Fuji is great as a travel camera but pretty useless for fast action
2. The D700 needs rubbe rgrips replacing - which I have ready to do and whilst I can clean the sensor the viewfinder  or curtain has dust marks that might deter a buyer but have no impact on images.

Re: lenses I have a range of Nikon and Sigma lenses all in good nick.A 24-70 Nikon I spent  a few hundred on to rid me of a grating noise and it is now good if a little stiff but nice for stopping lens creep.

Now that the Fuji XT3 is out with a bonus £100 on trade in values I` thinking of going into my local store ( Fuji prices seem to be the same everywhere in UK) and trading in everything I have for the XT3 and maybe an additional Fuji prime depending on what I get offered. I know I could probably get more selling them privately but on the various selling boards I am on I just see the same dslrs - especially d700s and lenses on sale always with seemingly little interest.

What do you reckon? Is it best to trade in and save aggro of selling privately including the risk of potential fraud? Has the dslr market been impacted on so much it would be best to get rid now? Would I be mad. I wanted to keep the d70 for special shoots when I can use the ttl triggers / flashes I have. I could keep them and use them all manually but is it worth it given that they have been out 2/3 times in 7 months?

Hmmm!  :-\

Hinfrance

Don't envy you the decision. I haven't ever sold or traded a DSLR, old ones seem to be worth less and less and while they all still work really well I don't want to get rid of any of them. I have bought and sold and traded up bridge cameras because they seem to hold their value reasonably well on eBay. But then I am just a natural hoarder. :)

Now I am saving up for a Sony A7ii, but on current projections that will take me until the middle of next year, if not longer, so it will have been replaced by then anyway . . might be able to pick one up from someone trading up to whatever replaces it.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

Oldboy

I find that shops want to charge you almost full price on second-hand equipment but pay you peanuts when selling it back to them. My D3 cost £3,000 new and I spent £600 on repairs due to water ingress but now I'd be lucky to get £200 as part exchange.  :'(  As for my D200 they would expect me to pay them to take it away!  :o

I rather give them away to help somebody starting out, as I did with my D70 plus the 18-70mm DX kit lens.  :tup:

Jediboy

I recently went onto Jessops and WEX to get trade in prices as I was considering selling some lenses and a D300 that haven't been used in ages. The trade in prices weren't as good as some were going for an eBay but I'm not really a big fan of eBay.
Maybe worth watching a few an eBay however to give you an idea of what you may get.

I was considering converting my D300 to IR, but thats not cheap, so it still sits in the bag. Difficult to know whats best, but good luck.
May the Force be with you.

Chris

Simple

Same here, I am a bit of a hoarder and and have, a , D40, D70, D90, D300, D3, Nikkormat FT2, Nikkormat FT3, Nikon F401, Nikon F65 and Loads of lenses. I'd be lucky to get any money for it at all.
The pictures I take with these cameras are still acceptable and to be honest I have used the Film Nikkormat recently more than any of the digital cameras. I have been thinking of going to one of these super bridge cameras like the Nikon P1000 or the Sony RX10 (iv). But I find it hard to let go of any of my cameras!!.

jinky

I`ve only ever sold 2 lenses and one flashgun of all the gear I have. I do find it hard to let go. Part of me thinks I should do the running repairs on my d700 and start getting it  out and using it again being more selective about what I put in the bag so that it is not so heavy. Maybe my best bet is to to do that , check out what lenses I rarely use and check prices and maybe try to sell those privately.
I`m in my usual quandry of which camera to take on my next break - to Tenerife this time. Last time I went to the Canaries I was so pleased I took my LX100 rather than my dslr - anticipating the wind. I lay on the beach having a snooze  with a light breeze confident that I`d creamed up and had my camera safely packed up in it`s case. When others came back they laughed at my black face with volcanic sand having stuck to the suncream. I got my camera out on the promenade to take a shot and after a bit of grinding it ceased to function. Sand had ingressed even inside a full leather case.Luckily it was the subject of a 5 year John lewis warranty and it was repaired free of charge. Think it might be that one again as the warranty is still in place. So I still have my Sony f707 for infra red stuff (that I never do), 2 compact zooms, an lx100, a Nikon D 80, my d700 and my Fuji XT10!!! :uglystupid2:

anglefire

I part ex'd my 70-200 F4 L for a 70-200 F2.8L IS last year (Or was it the year before now? No idea as time just marches on!) Anyway, I got a really good price for it - I lost only £100 in the 9/10 years I had it.

I did sell my 5D to a friend and got a fair price given the market. I've got a 1D Mk3 as well, that I rarely use. (Once or twice perhaps in the last 4-5years)
----------------------------------
Mark
* A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odourless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Current Bodies:
Canon 1Dx
Canon R3
Canon R5

Sold Bodies:
Canon 350D
Canon 1DMk3
Canon 5D
Canon 1Dx Mk3

Alfonso_Frisk

It is something I consider at least once a year. I have gear that is vastly under used, and when my mojo drops I look at selling the lot and starting again with mirrorless or good bridge.
Earlier this year whilst my D7100 was away for 10 weeks+ I had fun going out with the old gear like my D50, D200, Fuji S5pro. I did 1 cam 1 lens sessions and I really enjoyed it looking and working for shots. I have a f1.4 lens rarely used as well as my Bigma 50-500 which I paid 1200 quid for in 2010, been used approx 20 times and now worth 400 quid on some sites so I will keep it.
My Tokina fisheye is another hardly used and mint but I would cringe letting it go for next to nowt so will keep it even it stays on a shelf.

Not answering your question but hope this helps.
http://www.fluidr.com/photos/nosmo_king2007
http://www.seateamimages.com/search.php
Wine improves with age, The older I get the more I like it.

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.