Horizons PollCanon EF L IS USM 500 f/4...Horizons ENTRIES 27/07...What annoyed you today?STREET-ENTRIES-Weekly Com...STREET-CHAT-Weekly Comp 1...POLL for TIME OUTTIME OUT. Chat thread wee...TIME OUT. Entry thread w...Horizons CHAT thread 2...POLL -NUMBERS and / or LE...NUMBERS and / or LETTERS ...POLL Happiness is.......Nice houseHappiness is.... Entry Th...Happiness is.... Chat Thr...

Author Topic: CHAT-MOVEMENT-Weekly Comp 7-15 April 2018  (Read 1564 times)

Offline Hinfrance

• Global Moderator
  • Cake is good
    • Hinfrance
CHAT-MOVEMENT-Weekly Comp 7-15 April 2018
« on: April 07, 2018, 03:59:41 PM »
MOVEMENT - WEEKLY COMP 7TH TO 15TH APRIL 2018

THIS IS THE CHAT THREAD

The ENTRIES THREAD is HERE

This week's challenge is MOVEMENT.

The object of this week's exercise is to capture an image that shows movement:the subject is not important, just the motion. There are three principle ways of achieving this - fast shutter speed to freeze an action in time, slow shutter speed to show movement as a blur, and panning a shot to freeze the moving object against a motion blurred background. Take your pick and get shooting!

No restrictions whatsoever on PP work, but it would be nice if you could avoid using motion blur filters :)

Pictures to be taken between now and Sunday 15th April 2018, 23:59, but if you find yourself at a loss in this time period, please enter something from your personal archives.
Pictures to be posted in the entries thread no later than 23:59 Monday 16th April 2018.
Poll will be up Tuesday 17th April 2018.
Winner to be announced Saturday 21st April 2018

The Rules for the weekly competition are...

By entering you agree to take responsibility to

Post a topic on the Sunday (or sooner) following your declared win
Create an entries thread
Create a chat thread
Create a poll for that weeks comp and declare the winner on the Saturday
(if for any reason there is a problem and no subject is posted by the winner by Monday night admin will advise second place winner to post the topic asap, do the poll etc)

In case of a tie, the first entry posted wins.

Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

Offline Hinfrance

• Global Moderator
  • Cake is good
    • Hinfrance
Re: CHAT-MOVEMENT-Weekly Comp 7-15 April 2018
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2018, 08:11:31 AM »
Thought of another way of capturing/expressing movement in a photograph - using flash.

If you have a flash with second curtain sync or multiple flash functions then that can be used to great effect too. I think I am going to try some multi flash shots for this week, but first, where did I put that Easter bunny ? . .
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

Offline oggalily

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2018, 05:05:21 PM »
I actually just taught a workshop on getting off of Program mode and had several slides of my daughter with a pinwheel showing how different shutter speeds impact the image when in Shutter Priority mode.  This was a shot from that session.  This was at 1/250 in case you're interested.

Offline Beaux Reflets

• Global Moderator
  • Commonsense answers a whole load of the unanswered
    • Beaux Reflets
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2018, 08:43:54 PM »
Spun Minds

« Last Edit: April 14, 2018, 01:35:01 PM by Beaux Reflets »
:beer: Andy

"Light anchors things in place and gives perspective meaning."

The choices we make are rooted in reflection.

http://beauxreflets.blogspot.com/

Offline Hinfrance

• Global Moderator
  • Cake is good
    • Hinfrance
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2018, 12:46:26 PM »
Well, it's like this. Weather not too great, idea of getting a dandelion seed head blown for the shot went out of the window, and then I got distracted. I remade my breadboard flash trigger (kit from HiViz.com, although it is no longer sold as a bunch of components: you can get a later better model) and then found some balloons and a bag of flour. So not strictly movement, other than the flour is exploding all over the basement, but it's what I did.

The trigger - covered in flour . . .

The basic setup:

« Last Edit: April 16, 2018, 12:51:21 PM by Hinfrance »
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr

Offline oggalily

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2018, 05:46:02 PM »
Cool setup H.  I need to try this.

Offline Jediboy

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2018, 06:28:33 PM »
I have to agree, impressive and makes me want to try.
May the Force be with you.

Chris

Offline Hinfrance

• Global Moderator
  • Cake is good
    • Hinfrance
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2018, 08:29:18 AM »
Well, it is fun, although a bit messy.

The key things are to get the microphone close to the trigger sound - in this case the exploding balloon, have the room as dark as possible to avoid ghosting, set the camera to a longish shutter speed and small aperture on timer to give you time to pop the balloon, and have the flash(es) on low power as the lower the power the shorter the flash duration. And not too much flour . . you can do it with water too, but that is even more messy.

Next up, I must get myself a decent drone. I like the Mavic Air, but it's almost twice the price in Europe as it is in the US. And even in the US it's not cheap.  :'( So I suppose It'll have to be an Upair One. I'll keep you posted.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2018, 08:33:11 AM by Hinfrance »
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr

Offline Simple

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2018, 01:43:09 PM »
I was intended to post a balloon burst as well, but it was one from archive so I did not post after seeing Howards picture. I  have on occasion used 2 balloons (one inside the other). One filled with Talcum Powder the other with glitter. If you rub the balloon to make it static and shake the powder inside, it sticks to the side better giving more satisfying results. I popped them with throwing a dart at it. It is indeed a messy business!! If you want to go really hard core, try shaving foam inside a balloon. Cover the camera and flash with some plastic!!! ( I use sandwich bags)

latest Posts

Subject Board Views/Replies Member Date & Time
xx Horizons Poll International Weekly Comp Entries 135/1 Oldboy Last post August 08, 2020, 11:48:53 AM
xx Canon EF L IS USM 500 f/4 for sale Lenses 230/6 anglefire Last post August 05, 2020, 07:48:42 AM
xx Horizons ENTRIES 27/07 - 02/08/20 International Weekly Comp Entries 249/5 Oldboy Last post August 03, 2020, 10:25:12 PM
xx What annoyed you today? General Discussion 636541/3972 Jediboy Last post August 03, 2020, 02:13:31 PM
question STREET-ENTRIES-Weekly Comp 1/8-9/8/2020 International Weekly Comp Entries 62/0 Hinfrance Last post August 01, 2020, 04:09:00 PM
smiley STREET-CHAT-Weekly Comp 1/8-9/8/2020 International Weekly Comp Entries 44/0 Hinfrance Last post August 01, 2020, 04:05:33 PM
xx POLL for TIME OUT International Weekly Comp Entries 207/3 Hinfrance Last post August 01, 2020, 01:04:50 PM
xx TIME OUT. Chat thread weekly comp. International Weekly Comp Entries 242/4 Jediboy Last post July 27, 2020, 11:31:15 PM