STREET-CHAT-Weekly Comp 1...POLL for STREETSTREET-ENTRIES-Weekly Com...Horizons PollREFLECTIONS - Chat Threa...REFLECTIONS - Entry threa...Canon EF L IS USM 500 f/4...Horizons ENTRIES 27/07...What annoyed you today?POLL for TIME OUTTIME OUT. Chat thread wee...TIME OUT. Entry thread w...Horizons CHAT thread 2...POLL -NUMBERS and / or LE...NUMBERS and / or LETTERS ...POLL Happiness is.......

Author Topic: All the best for the new year!  (Read 2626 times)

Offline Reinardina

• Still trying to master photography.
All the best for the new year!
« on: December 31, 2017, 02:10:34 PM »
I am so 'out of' photography, that I only took 18 pictures, on my recent holiday in Austria.

I actually went back to the hotel to get my camera, because the low hanging cloud (also called fog), combined with the low temperature, was creating beautiful white beards on trees and shrubs. (Yes, I did have a white Christmas.)

Maybe there is still some of the photographer left in me?

Anyway, may I present you with this very rare image by a photographer who lost her mojo.

Happy New Year to all on CC!

Beauty is bought by judgment of the eye.
Shakespeare. (Love's Labours Lost.)

Offline Beaux Reflets

• Global Moderator
  • Commonsense answers a whole load of the unanswered
    • Beaux Reflets
Re: All the best for the new year!
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2017, 03:14:53 PM »
And to you too Reinardina. A cracking shot by the way  :tup:
:beer: Andy

"Light anchors things in place and gives perspective meaning."

The choices we make are rooted in reflection.

http://beauxreflets.blogspot.com/

Offline jinky

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2017, 03:28:17 PM »
Nice shot. And a happy New Year to you R  ;)

Offline Jediboy

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2017, 06:55:12 PM »
Love the photo R. Its clearly still there, just lying under the surface.
Happy new year, and best wishes for 2018 and beyond.
May the Force be with you.
May the Force be with you.

Chris

Offline StephenBatey

• Keep calm and carry on buying large format cameras
    • stephenbatey/
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2018, 12:32:24 AM »
Quality not quantity - could be a new year resoltion in their somewhere.

Have a wonderful new year.

Offline Simple

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2018, 09:48:11 AM »
Gelukkig Nieuwjaar R!!

Offline SimonW

• Dunning Parish Historical Society
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2018, 10:18:17 AM »
A very lovely photo - the very first one I've looked at this year.

Best wishes for the new year everyone.

Simon
Simon Warren
(in Dunning, Scotland)

Offline Oldboy

« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2018, 12:49:19 PM »
Great shot and sorry you have lost the urge for photography.  :'(

Hopefully you may regain it this year.  :tup:

Offline Reinardina

« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2018, 07:28:19 PM »
Thank you all for your good wishes and encouragement.

When I saw the rime on the trees, I did turn back to the hotel to fetch the camera, so the 'eye' is still there, and wants to capture certain things. I must however admit, that I feel so much more free without a camera. I can now look at things and enjoy them, without having to think of angles, backgrounds and points of view.

Also, I dropped my good, four thirds, camera, so I am back to my old Sony bridge (without RAW). If I seriously want to return, it will mean a new camera, which is a lot of money, especially if I am not quite sure that I will persevere.

Offline Beaux Reflets

• Global Moderator
    • Beaux Reflets
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2018, 09:30:46 PM »
Thank you all for your good wishes and encouragement.

When I saw the rime on the trees, I did turn back to the hotel to fetch the camera, so the 'eye' is still there, and wants to capture certain things. I must however admit, that I feel so much more free without a camera. I can now look at things and enjoy them, without having to think of angles, backgrounds and points of view.

Also, I dropped my good, four thirds, camera, so I am back to my old Sony bridge (without RAW). If I seriously want to return, it will mean a new camera, which is a lot of money, especially if I am not quite sure that I will persevere.

To my mind, shooting in RAW rather than jpeg and visa versa is irrelevant these days, considering the advances that have been made available through the evolution in Post Processing software over the years; and in many respects, its now a bit like comparing the difference between the various qualities or standards in film.

When shooting in jpeg I tend to ignore camera settings that suppress noise levels or alter image sharpness etc., beyond the basic default (in camera) conversion, to maximize upon all the potential image data provided for later post processing, where I can view and control such effects in greater detail.

What matters more in my view, is the actual overall image, its impact, the story, as seen and portrayed by the photographer.

Offline Oldboy

« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2018, 11:17:43 PM »

What matters more in my view, is the actual overall image, its impact, the story, as seen and portrayed by the photographer.

Agree fully.  :tup:

Offline Reinardina

« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2018, 11:41:36 AM »
I photograph in aperture mode, but never mastered the technical side fully. I know, more or less, how/why to set ISO, F stop and shutter speed, but always found RAW invaluable to correct blown out parts of a shot. My other software could never match that.

Offline Beaux Reflets

• Global Moderator
    • Beaux Reflets
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2018, 12:41:19 PM »
I photograph in aperture mode, but never mastered the technical side fully. I know, more or less, how/why to set ISO, F stop and shutter speed, but always found RAW invaluable to correct blown out parts of a shot. My other software could never match that.

I often had to stop down a 1/3rd with my fujiS8000 , sometimes utilizing the bracketing options available; Does the Sony's inbuilt ND filter assist in preventing the blowing highlights?

I'm still pondering upon getting another bridge camera again.

Offline Reinardina

« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2018, 04:46:49 PM »
I don't think so, but I cannot remember. I haven't used that camera properly for ages.

If I buy a new one, it will again be a bridge. I loved the four thirds, but only ever used one (tele) lens, so a bridge will give me more possibilities.

Offline Hinfrance

• Global Moderator
  • Cake is good
    • Hinfrance
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2018, 07:32:47 PM »
FWIW I really like my FZ300. Just about to order an extension tube so I can use it for macro photography too. 12mp is plenty, but it can't compete with a DSLR at higher sensitivities.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

latest Posts

Subject Board Views/Replies Member Date & Time
xx STREET-CHAT-Weekly Comp 1/8-9/8/2020 International Weekly Comp Entries 176/5 Jediboy Last post Today at 11:55:14 AM
question POLL for STREET International Weekly Comp Entries 64/0 Hinfrance Last post August 11, 2020, 08:10:27 AM
xx STREET-ENTRIES-Weekly Comp 1/8-9/8/2020 International Weekly Comp Entries 186/4 Jediboy Last post August 10, 2020, 06:57:54 PM
xx Horizons Poll International Weekly Comp Entries 233/4 anglefire Last post August 09, 2020, 04:51:11 PM
xx REFLECTIONS - Chat Thread, Weekly Comp - 08/08/20 - 16/08/20 International Weekly Comp Entries 74/2 Jediboy Last post August 09, 2020, 03:31:50 PM
xx REFLECTIONS - Entry thread, Weekly Comp - 08/08/20 - 16/08/20 International Weekly Comp Entries 27/0 Jediboy Last post August 09, 2020, 03:20:15 PM
xx Canon EF L IS USM 500 f/4 for sale Lenses 290/6 anglefire Last post August 05, 2020, 07:48:42 AM
xx Horizons ENTRIES 27/07 - 02/08/20 International Weekly Comp Entries 271/5 Oldboy Last post August 03, 2020, 10:25:12 PM