POLL - Song Title SMALL - CHAT THREAD 16-22...SMALL - ENTRY THREAD 16-2...HeronSong Title CHAT thread 1s...Song Title ENTRY thread 1...Poll - Days out - 18th-25...Windows 10 19H1 is headin...POLL - SchoolSchool - Weekly Comp Entr...SCHOOL - Weekly comp Chat...Entry Thread - Days out -...POLL - DoorwaysChat Thread - Days out - ...1957 Ferrari California 2...Doorways - Entry Thread w...

Author Topic: DCMAG site down?  (Read 1775 times)

Offline Eileen

DCMAG site down?
« on: August 03, 2009, 07:14:31 AM »
I can't get in this morning. Anyone else having problems? Wondering if the site has been taken down early.

Offline Alfonso_Frisk

• Global Moderator
    • http://www.flickr.com/photos/nosmo_king2007/
    • My Shipping images
Re: DCMAG site down?
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2009, 07:34:37 AM »
It was ok at 0600hrs
Maybe they not put this months shilling in the meter ?
http://www.fluidr.com/photos/nosmo_king2007
http://www.seateamimages.com/search.php
Wine improves with age, The older I get the more I like it.

Offline greypoint

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2009, 07:41:03 AM »
Probably just the usual unexplained glitch - or perhaps there were too many anti photoradar posts ::)

Offline wee jake

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2009, 07:42:21 AM »
me to unable to log in site down

Offline greypoint

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2009, 07:48:55 AM »
Well it's only us very unimportant people using it now :'(

Offline Mick

• I've got the latest Canon - 4 rings, double oven and eye level grill! And HD video!
  • Administrator
  • I really, really hate lawn mowers.
    • Camera Craniums
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2009, 07:59:54 AM »
Working now, or it is for me.  ;)
Thank You, "Guest" For Reading This Post.

My Gallery
Tinyportal.net Running SMF 2.0.13 / Tinyportal 1.0
Guitarist Guild Running SMF 2.0.13 / Tinyportal 1.2R
The Garden Machinery Forum Running SMF 2.0.13 / Tinyportal 1.2R

Offline greypoint

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2009, 08:20:02 AM »
Yes, just checked for any more responses by Amy! She's having to earn her money 8)

Offline Chris P

• pSquared Photography
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2009, 09:59:42 AM »
I feel sorry for Amy.  She's kinda been dropped in at the deepend.

In fairness the Photoradar site doesn't really look very interesting.  I've not had my invite yet but I've seen it through someone else on DMC who has had an invite.  They do seem to be working up a list of registered users so the newest members get invites.

It's the fact that only a handful of people actually use DCM regularly out of the 85k members.  You'd think they'd have targeted their intial beta testing at thouse who actually use the site, I mean they must have sent out literally thousands of Photoradar e-mails to the registered users with 1 post never replied to!

Offline Eileen

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2009, 10:33:20 AM »
DCMAG seems to be working again now.

I also feel a bit sorry for Amy (sometimes).

However I am surprised at how they've handled this launch. It clearly wasn't in any state to be introduced to 90k+ members. And anyone with an ounce of sense and wanting to avoid trouble would have invited us lot early on - because, even if they didn't think we might add value, they would have saved themselves lots of time answering complaints. What really bugs me is that even now, after people tell them that they haven't had an email, invitation, etc, they they don't just have one sent out. What would that cost? I can't believe they never sent Sue her email after numerous posts.

One of the reasons I wanted to see the site early is that I looked at Bike/MusicRadar and wasn't impressed and am worried that we will lose all that was good on the DC forum and not get much in return. So I kind of wanted to get the worst over early (ideally I was hoping to be pleasantly surprised and to contribute to the development of the new forum). I never said that on DCMAG because I really wanted not to be excessively negative. I still hope to be proved wrong, but my hopes are getting fainter over time. I would really miss the wider DCMAG community.

Offline Carlj

• Global Moderator
  • Happy to shoot
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2009, 10:38:09 AM »
Visited once, looked around, found little of interest, went off and did something more interesting instead...

Offline Hinfrance

• Global Moderator
  • Cake is good
    • Hinfrance
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2009, 10:41:39 AM »
Honestly Eileen, I haven't looked at the site since 20th July which was when they first said they were freezing it. Also I haven't had a PR invitation, so frankly I don't think that I shall ever visit one of Future's sites again.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

Offline Jonathan

• PeopleByRyan
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2009, 11:15:42 AM »
Actually I feel very sorry for Amy.

She's making (quite a lot of) mistakes but that's only to be expected.  Check her blog - she recently finished work experience which suggests that this is her first job.  And that would make her way way out of her depth.

I used to manage IT test teams running complex projects (including a couple of big customer facing web rollouts).  It's a pretty nasty job.  I got paid a ridiculous amount of money for it and still quit.

I've had a look at their "beta" "test".  It's shocking.  If they have an experienced test manager then they are well hidden.  The scariest thing is just how badly they are treating their "testers".  Just like they do on the existing site - they are a never ending resource to provide free content and labour when required and then to be dropped when they are no longer necessary.

Realistically I'd scrap the beta right now and bring in an aggressive plan to launch just before Christmas.  But then I was always known for being cautious  8)
It's Guest's round

Offline greypoint

« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2009, 12:47:12 PM »
I also feel sorry for Amy. or rather for the position she's been put in. She obviously has the brief to only stick to the hard and fast rules they've given her for answering questions. We do get the odd input from Rachel who. I assume has a bit more clout - but nothing from the editor after his initial postings some time ago. I get the feeling that because the web site is to have its own staff they're letting them get on with it. The whole thing just seems chaotic and the site nowhere near ready. I was'nt one of those who moaned about the old site [some of the members perhaps!] - would'nt a clearout of all the old dross and an upload limit for photos have made it run OK and useable until the new site was really ready to go?
I'm not remotely interested in beta testing - but, on principle, I'd have liked to have been invited just to have a look!

Offline Trickee

• Mysite
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2009, 08:22:46 PM »
I had the invite, logged on, had a look round and was not impressed at all the only positive thing i can say is its faster at the minute (prob due to low traffic).
 I preferred the old skin and layout. i might let the dust settle and wait until its polished :-\

Offline spinner

« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2009, 12:50:53 AM »
DCM's demise is CC's boon.  :tup:
And more, much more than this, I did it my way
Ol' blue eyes

http://ddsdigita4.wix.com/ddsdigital
https://www.flickr.com/photos/spin498/

latest Posts

Subject Board Views/Replies Member Date & Time
xx POLL - Song Title International Weekly Comp Entries 305/5 Jediboy Last post September 16, 2019, 10:49:12 AM
xx SMALL - CHAT THREAD 16-22nd September `19 International Weekly Comp Entries 43/0 jinky Last post September 16, 2019, 10:00:15 AM
xx SMALL - ENTRY THREAD 16-22nd September `19 International Weekly Comp Entries 66/0 jinky Last post September 16, 2019, 09:59:37 AM
xx Heron Wildlife Photography 133/4 anglefire Last post September 16, 2019, 07:17:49 AM
xx Song Title CHAT thread 1st-8th September `19 International Weekly Comp Entries 896/36 jinky Last post September 13, 2019, 03:02:01 PM
xx Song Title ENTRY thread 1st-8th September `19 International Weekly Comp Entries 185/4 Jediboy Last post September 09, 2019, 03:08:08 PM
xx Poll - Days out - 18th-25th August 2019 International Weekly Comp Entries 348/7 Hinfrance Last post September 08, 2019, 07:17:09 AM
xx Windows 10 19H1 is heading your way. PC computer questions, tips and how to's 2879/35 Mick Last post September 07, 2019, 02:45:08 PM