POLL - Song Title HeronSong Title CHAT thread 1s...Song Title ENTRY thread 1...Poll - Days out - 18th-25...Windows 10 19H1 is headin...POLL - SchoolSchool - Weekly Comp Entr...SCHOOL - Weekly comp Chat...Entry Thread - Days out -...POLL - DoorwaysChat Thread - Days out - ...1957 Ferrari California 2...Doorways - Entry Thread w...Anything Goes Poll 4-11th...Anything Goes - Chat Thre...

Author Topic: Spotify  (Read 2182 times)

Offline greypoint

Spotify
« on: August 01, 2009, 09:01:21 PM »
Anyone else use Spotify when they're online? Could be an idea for a thread - recommend a track you're listening to. I'm currently groovin' [!!!] to Claire Austin singing The House is Haunted - think Peggy Lee meets Bessie Smith - 1950s classic. Only for us oldies obviously 8)

Offline anglefire

• Canon Biggamist. Four bodies and some lenses. :)
  • Canon Owner and Proud of it :)
    • Mark Colston Photography
Re: Spotify
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2009, 09:10:25 PM »
I've not tried spotify - I stick to itunes if I'm honest - but a thread re music in general would be good.

One of my favourites at the moment is Melody Gardot - again old fashioned style I think.
----------------------------------
Mark
* A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odourless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Offline greypoint

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2009, 09:17:51 PM »
The great thing about spotify is that it's free and if you open the window you can just type in what you want and if it comes up click on it and listen. So you can immediately check other peoples recommendations and wonder at their musical taste ;D

Offline greypoint

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2009, 09:19:04 PM »
and I'm now listening to Melody Gardot!

Offline anglefire

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2009, 09:31:29 PM »
I've just downloaded Spotify on my Mac - but Janes listening to the Proms at the mo!!

I did search for Claire Austin on Itunes - nothing found - but Spotify has it - I'll try it later!!
Mark
* A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odourless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Offline greypoint

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2009, 09:34:40 PM »
The adverts can be annoying but I just love being able to discover and rediscover music. Am enjoying Melody Gardot - thanks ;D

Offline irv_b

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2009, 10:59:54 PM »
I use to use Pandora which I guess is much the same thing  because you could get a lot of jazz through it  but you had to give an american ziip code to sign up (I used my Aunts' ;)) I haven't been on it for a while so I don't know if its still going?
My Gallery

Don't count the days "Guest," make the days count!.

Offline greypoint

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2009, 06:25:24 AM »
So often there are threads about music and what you're listening too or think other like minded people might enjoy. This is a simple way to discover new delights....or otherwise. I'd never heard of Melody Gardot :tup:

Offline anglefire

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2009, 07:14:38 AM »
I heard Melody on radio 2 first I think - I'm always listening to her - bought the download of the latest album off Itunes.

Currently listening to Clare Austin. Nice! Thanks!
Mark

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Offline Eileen

« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2009, 07:28:58 AM »
Pardon my ignorance, but what's Spotify? I get the idea that you can listen to music but how does it work?

PS: I love Bessie Smith's voice. A friend introduced me to her music a few years ago.

Offline anglefire

« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2009, 07:41:47 AM »
Spotify is a program that basically is an online library of music (And radio I think!). You can create playlists etc and search for any music you fancy and play it.

There seems to be 3 flavours of accounts - free (With adverts) and a couple of paid options.

At the moment you have to be online to play anything - but I'm sure I've heard that that may change.

It works on both Mac and windows.
Mark

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Offline greypoint

« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2009, 08:08:23 AM »
You get a page with a search function - type in an artist/group etc. and you get a list of all the tracks available by them - click on a track and it plays - you can then choose other tracks by right clicking and choosing queue and making a playlist - you can keep searching for new artists and adding in the same way. You can also enter the name of a song and get a list of all the available versions - I've found some real gems by trying alternative versions of songs I like. There are millions of tracks but some notable exceptions - no Beatles for instance.

Offline anglefire

« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2009, 08:31:53 AM »
no Beatles for instance

And thats a bad thing?  :2funny:

I must admit I've been playing it this morning - and the ads are annoying and I'll probably use Itunes more - but it does mean you can find tracks etc easier!
Mark

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Offline greypoint

« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2009, 08:56:06 AM »
yes - there seem to be more adverts than there used to be - it was originally after ten tracks.

Offline greypoint

« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2009, 09:44:55 PM »
Tonights recommendation - Mary Coughlan sings Billie Holiday - I've had the Cd for ages but it's easier than finding it amongst my rather large music collection ::)

latest Posts

Subject Board Views/Replies Member Date & Time
xx POLL - Song Title International Weekly Comp Entries 167/3 Jediboy Last post September 15, 2019, 10:57:01 PM
xx Heron Wildlife Photography 86/3 jinky Last post September 15, 2019, 12:19:57 PM
xx Song Title CHAT thread 1st-8th September `19 International Weekly Comp Entries 809/36 jinky Last post September 13, 2019, 03:02:01 PM
xx Song Title ENTRY thread 1st-8th September `19 International Weekly Comp Entries 154/4 Jediboy Last post September 09, 2019, 03:08:08 PM
xx Poll - Days out - 18th-25th August 2019 International Weekly Comp Entries 298/7 Hinfrance Last post September 08, 2019, 07:17:09 AM
xx Windows 10 19H1 is heading your way. PC computer questions, tips and how to's 2761/35 Mick Last post September 07, 2019, 02:45:08 PM
xx POLL - School International Weekly Comp Entries 82/0 Jediboy Last post September 03, 2019, 12:02:14 PM
xx School - Weekly Comp Entry thread International Weekly Comp Entries 199/4 Jediboy Last post September 02, 2019, 10:39:51 PM