POLL for STREETSTREET-CHAT-Weekly Comp 1...STREET-ENTRIES-Weekly Com...Horizons PollREFLECTIONS - Chat Threa...REFLECTIONS - Entry threa...Canon EF L IS USM 500 f/4...Horizons ENTRIES 27/07...What annoyed you today?POLL for TIME OUTTIME OUT. Chat thread wee...TIME OUT. Entry thread w...Horizons CHAT thread 2...POLL -NUMBERS and / or LE...NUMBERS and / or LETTERS ...POLL Happiness is.......

Author Topic: Photo Comments !  (Read 1620 times)

skellum

Photo Comments !
« on: July 23, 2009, 01:26:10 AM »
Why don't we all try to make an effort to comment on the pictures that we have all submitted to the gallery ? I am as guilty as the next but why not give it a go, good or bad any responce is better than none ! and it is supposed to be a photographic site !. Old Boy leads the way and makes the effort so lets see more :legit:
« Last Edit: July 23, 2009, 01:34:33 AM by skellum ( Dave ) »

Offline Hinfrance

• Global Moderator
  • Cake is good
    • Hinfrance
Re: Photo Comments !
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2009, 06:04:16 AM »
You're right Dave, of course. Indolence is my only excuse.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

Offline Mick

• I've got the latest Canon - 4 rings, double oven and eye level grill! And HD video!
  • Administrator
  • I really, really hate lawn mowers.
    • Camera Craniums
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2009, 08:46:47 AM »
 :doh: I have to confess to being the worst one where this is concerned.  I do flick through and look at the pics but rarely comment.

I will try and sort that out.  ;)
Thank You, "Guest" For Reading This Post.

My Gallery
Tinyportal.net Running SMF 2.0.13 / Tinyportal 1.0
Guitarist Guild Running SMF 2.0.13 / Tinyportal 1.2R
The Garden Machinery Forum Running SMF 2.0.13 / Tinyportal 1.2R

Offline bones615

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2009, 04:01:16 PM »
Although I flick through the pics I am guilty of not commenting very often & dont like to criticise in fear of offending somebody more experienced than myself. You are right so I will make more effort to at least give every picture a star rating based on my taste as opposed to my skill.

Thanks to Oldboy & others whose comments and criticism i always appreciate.

Offline Alfonso_Frisk

• Global Moderator
    • http://www.flickr.com/photos/nosmo_king2007/
    • My Shipping images
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2009, 05:24:44 PM »
Its a hard one and something that has been discussed before in various forums.
Personally I just have not had the time lately to visit many user galleries here. I will try to address that soon.

IMHO comments such as "nice shot" mean very little to me. I would rather know why its a nice shot to the viewer (or not)
No one likes leaving negative comments for fear of upsetting the tog. I guess that's human nature, but, I would like to see and would welcome comments offering advice on composition etc and how the viewer would have done things their way.
Experience is not a qualification or requirement for commenting on a shot.  We are all viewers with different tastes and opinions and we all have valid points to make and share.
RR
Alf
http://www.fluidr.com/photos/nosmo_king2007
http://www.seateamimages.com/search.php
Wine improves with age, The older I get the more I like it.

Offline anglefire

• Canon Biggamist. Three bodies and some lenses. :) - Sold my 1DMk3
  • Canon Owner and Proud of it :)
    • Mark Colston Photography
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2009, 05:26:56 PM »
I often write the monthly crits on a site that I help mod (DPG), though I'm doing less now (As in not every month, which I did pretty much the last couple of years).

If you do it properly, then you can be truthful without being personal. Unfortunately some people do take it personal or you don't get the tone right.

But if I'm honest, I like to get comments good or bad as you can sometimes think an image is good, but others don't and its good to have reasons  why.
----------------------------------
Mark
* A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odourless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

CPS Gold Member
My Website

skellum

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2009, 07:47:45 PM »
I often put a few pics on ephotozine I'm not to keen on the site but I allways get comments ( they seem comment mad on that site ) which helps me decide what to print for my market stall.

Offline Oldboy

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2009, 09:03:43 PM »
I just post comments in the lastest additions rather than going into galleries, as it spreads it around to all. Not all my comments have been taken with good grace, but I feel it's better to make a comment rather than say nothing. I don't comment on entries to the competition though.  :tup:

Offline irv_b

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2009, 09:26:04 PM »
I only comment on pics that stir me in some way!while nobody intends to put a bad shot on here (not that I have seen any) it is only human nature that if you like something, you'll comment, while if it passes you by, you wont say anything! Maybe  we could start a weekly thread that goes through peoples galleries with someone picking a shot and everyone constructively commenting/critique it. I know that I could always do with pointers as how to do things better!
My Gallery

Don't count the days "Guest," make the days count!.

Offline northbeach

• CC Regular visitor
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2009, 05:03:01 PM »
I used to post comments more than I do now.  I find that with so many posters putting up multiple images all at once many of the photographs disappear off the front page and slide way down into the  digital dungeons.   I suspect I don't even see  lots of them at all , let alone  comment on them.     My sense is that some folks are using this as their gallery.    I thought the front  page was for competition - not a second gallery for members.   Multiple posting at one time also results in sometimes as many as five or six images that are  all single shots of a flower.  And a  centered flower at that.

I don't  post as much as I used to either for the above reason - my images are gone from view very quickly because of multiple postings.

It seem to me there's a  philosophical discussion to be had  here,  about what the front page is for.  Or even what the site is about.  Is it for serious photographers aiming to improve their game or is it simply a repository for images that  we want to be able to show to the family?  There are a lot of talented  photographers here and I don't think they're  getting a fair shake when they are crowded off the front page so very quickly.   I include myself in that description.   

"In a hundred years, all new people."  My Gallery

Offline Mick

• I've got the latest Canon - 4 rings, double oven and eye level grill! And HD video!
  • Administrator
  • I really, really hate lawn mowers.
    • Camera Craniums
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2009, 05:51:25 PM »
Sheila, sorry you feel like that about the site.  :o

This is a problem and always has been with any site I've used, there's only so many pics you can put on the home page.  It's even worse on busy sites. 

The front page block only shows a small snippet of the latest pics, there's a link at the bottom of it to take you to the main gallery, where you can see more of the latest images.  You can go one step further when in the actual gallery by clicking the last uploads button.

I could try and put a limit on how many pics are uploaded per day, but I wanted to try and create a friendly atmosphere without being heavy handed with the rules.

If any of you have any ideas or suggestions for the site, then please post them to Site suggestions, and ideas and I'll see what I can do.  (remember I'm not a coder) so these things might be beyond my capabilities.
Thank You, "Guest" For Reading This Post.

My Gallery
Tinyportal.net Running SMF 2.0.13 / Tinyportal 1.0
Guitarist Guild Running SMF 2.0.13 / Tinyportal 1.2R
The Garden Machinery Forum Running SMF 2.0.13 / Tinyportal 1.2R

Offline greypoint

« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2009, 06:58:04 PM »
Many sites have a daily limit - often three - as do lots of flickr groups. I don't think it should be a problem if there was a limit, most people would understand the reasoning surely - and it would concentrate the mind if you had to pick only the best of the days photos to upload.

Offline anglefire

• Canon Biggamist. Three bodies and some lenses. :) - Sold my 1DMk3
  • Canon Owner and Proud of it :)
    • Mark Colston Photography
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2009, 09:03:11 PM »
As Mick says it is a difficult call. Personally, I only try and put a few shots on - I have my own website for most of my shots.

I have a flickr account and find that a waste of time if I'm honest, half of the togs are just after as many comments as they can get - most of which are just invites to another group.
----------------------------------
Mark
* A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odourless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Offline Oldboy

« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2009, 09:35:29 PM »
Agree with you Mark about Flickr and keep getting invites to post on other groups, which I ignore.  ;D

Offline greypoint

« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2009, 09:39:16 PM »
Flickr is useful for me for things like dog shows - I can upload loads of shots for the owners to view. I did the whole  flickr thing fior a while but it does get tedious after a while. It's a handy place to store stuff and useful for copy and paste to DCMag!

latest Posts

Subject Board Views/Replies Member Date & Time
question POLL for STREET International Weekly Comp Entries 47/0 Hinfrance Last post August 11, 2020, 08:10:27 AM
xx STREET-CHAT-Weekly Comp 1/8-9/8/2020 International Weekly Comp Entries 124/3 Jediboy Last post August 10, 2020, 06:59:38 PM
xx STREET-ENTRIES-Weekly Comp 1/8-9/8/2020 International Weekly Comp Entries 175/4 Jediboy Last post August 10, 2020, 06:57:54 PM
xx Horizons Poll International Weekly Comp Entries 225/4 anglefire Last post August 09, 2020, 04:51:11 PM
xx REFLECTIONS - Chat Thread, Weekly Comp - 08/08/20 - 16/08/20 International Weekly Comp Entries 63/2 Jediboy Last post August 09, 2020, 03:31:50 PM
xx REFLECTIONS - Entry thread, Weekly Comp - 08/08/20 - 16/08/20 International Weekly Comp Entries 22/0 Jediboy Last post August 09, 2020, 03:20:15 PM
xx Canon EF L IS USM 500 f/4 for sale Lenses 271/6 anglefire Last post August 05, 2020, 07:48:42 AM
xx Horizons ENTRIES 27/07 - 02/08/20 International Weekly Comp Entries 268/5 Oldboy Last post August 03, 2020, 10:25:12 PM