POLL - Home and GardenHOME AND GARDEN - Weekly ...HOME AND GARDEN - Weekly ...FOOD PHOTOGRAPHY CHAT - 5...POLL - Something good, We...FOOD PHOTOGRAPHY ENTRIES ...What annoyed you today?What made you feel good t...SOMETHING GOOD - Weekly C...SOMETHING GOOD - Weekly C...Poll - Stuck at HomeJoke of the day ENTRIES Stuck at Home 17...CHAT -Stuck at Home 17-22...LIQUID- POLLLIQUID - Chat thread week...

Author Topic: To chat or or not to chat?  (Read 2565 times)

Offline Reinardina

• Still trying to master photography.
To chat or or not to chat?
« on: June 19, 2016, 07:07:30 AM »
That is the question.

As the Shout box is not particularly suitable for a discussion, I will start a new topic.

Chris, if you want to chat, you simply do so. Start a new topic, say what you want to say, and if people are in a chatty mood, they will add their pennyworth's of thought.

This is indeed a photo site, but not everything that annoys, amuses or bemuses is photography related, so topics tend to vary.

Of the photography related topics, the ones about equipment seem to attract most reactions.

It would be great if a meaningful, insightful, lively discussion about photography could be started, so give it a go.

The existing threads about photography related subjects, seem to peter out after a while, but are revived regularly, so you could try that as well.

Good luck!

Beauty is bought by judgment of the eye.
Shakespeare. (Love's Labours Lost.)

Offline ABERS

• Black and White Images by Alan Abercrombie
Re: To chat or or not to chat?
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2016, 11:05:01 AM »
Here's  something to chat about photographically.

Are you just influenced by your favourite photographer or do you copy his/her work. Have you ever plagiarised someone else's work or just stood back and admired it?

Offline anglefire

• Canon Biggamist. Four bodies and some lenses. :)
  • Canon Owner and Proud of it :)
    • Mark Colston Photography
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2016, 06:31:33 PM »
I can't say that I have a favourite photographer - I like a lot of photographers work, but I'm not of a mind to knowingly copy anyone, mostly because I can never remember their names to be able to do so.

----------------------------------
Mark
* A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odourless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Offline StephenBatey

• Old but still developing - in Rodinal
    • stephenbatey/
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2016, 06:53:17 PM »
I've certainly been influenced by Ansel Adams and Edward Weston (among others); the qualities that I associate with their work is the tonal range and clarity (by which I mean that the subject stands out unencumbered by extraneous matter and the composition concentrates the attention where the photographer wanted it). I do aim to achieve similar prints, but I've never knowingly copied. Except perhaps in terms of equipment - it was Ansel Adams that turned my mind towards large format film which I know use. It just makes things easier to achieve for me.

Offline Simple

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2016, 08:23:11 PM »
Too many to mention. If I see a picture that leaves an impact on me, I try to store it and come back to it quite often. (I do that with images from this site as well.) When I make pictures I try to recall similar images that had an impact on me and try to replicate that style for the subject in front of my camera. I learn from this and believe I become a better photographer because I do these things. I love it when people copy my pictures, because I believe that imitation is the greatest form of flattery.
I also find that over the last couple of years it is hard to come up with a style or a topic that is unique. It has, most likely, all been done before, so whatever unique thing you think you come up with is most likely been done before so learn from whatever and whoever has an impact on you.

Offline StephenBatey

• stephenbatey/
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2016, 09:40:17 PM »
Surely copying someone else's style (and several "someone elses" at that) is a certain way to never evolve a style of your own?

What surely is unique is the way you look at things, the things that stand out for you that others may not see. On that basis, showing the things you see in the way that you see them (which isn't necessarily how they appear "straight" seems to me to be the way to go.

Offline ABERS

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2016, 09:46:29 PM »
I first started noticing photos  way back in the late '70s  especially  the work of Jane Bown that appeared every week in The Observer, and in the sports section   the images of Eamon  McCabe. I soon found myself looking forward  to the next week's edition.

I realised that there were images that were entirely different from the usual pictures that all and sundry were collecting from the chemists after weddings, christenings and holidays.

As time went by my interest expanded to other photographers with Don Mccullin,  Elliot Erwitt and James Ravillious high on the list. You'll  notice monochrome is the passion of each of these.

Whilst I don't  set out to blatantly  copy any of these I must admit when looking through the viewfinder I do mutter to myself that's  an Erwitt or a Bown when I press the shutter. Never a Mccullin as I keep clear of war zones ::).

I would never set out to set up a picture of something that had taken my eye, that would be unforgiveable., although I've  seen that happen.

There's  nothing wrong with succumbing to  an influence  as long as it doesn't  turn into a replication.

Offline StephenBatey

• stephenbatey/
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2016, 10:22:58 PM »

I would never set out to set up a picture of something that had taken my eye, that would be unforgiveable., although I've  seen that happen.

Sorry, I'm being dense. Could you explain what you mean by this?

Offline ABERS

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2016, 11:08:53 PM »

Sorry, I'm being dense. Could you explain what you mean by this?

Perhaps I've not put it too well.

I see a picture of a still life that is unique, clever in its  conception, well composed and expertly lit. It takes my eye and so I set out to copy all those attributes and make an image that replicates it exactly.

Hope that helps.

Offline DigiDiva

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2016, 10:00:10 AM »
I have copied other people's styles and images before. It's how I learned. When I did photography at college a few years ago, we were gives themes and photographers to study and emulate. One such artist/photographer was Michael Wolfe. I liked his style and how his images made me feel.
Please visit my website @ www.sunderlandwallart.com

Offline StephenBatey

• stephenbatey/
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2016, 08:21:11 PM »

I see a picture of a still life that is unique, clever in its  conception, well composed and expertly lit. It takes my eye and so I set out to copy all those attributes and make an image that replicates it exactly.

Hope that helps.

Thanks. I understand now.

Offline ABERS

« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2016, 03:13:51 PM »
A quote from Jane Bown,

"Some people take pictures, I find them."

Are you a taker or a finder?

Do you come back from an outing with 4 or 500 images or perhaps  40 or 50 carefully considered shots, that you think 4 or 5 may make a picture worth looking at?

Offline Reinardina

• Still trying to master photography.
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2016, 04:16:44 PM »
Jane Bown, another favourite.

I do not apply the scatter gun technique, unless I try to catch a swallow/house martin flying to and from its nest. (Never works, but I keep trying.)

I am a looker, hoping to find and then become a taker. Two or three shots per 'find.' Still a long way to go, but I think I am getting better at it.

This is one of the shots I took last Sunday. Definitely 'found,' albeit not original, as wedding photographers went there before me. I have not seen any of those shots, so definitely not an imitation.

« Last Edit: June 22, 2016, 04:35:46 PM by Reinardina »

Beauty is bought by judgment of the eye.
Shakespeare. (Love's Labours Lost.)

Offline Beaux Reflets

• Global Moderator
  • Commonsense answers a whole load of the unanswered
    • Beaux Reflets
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2016, 06:55:42 PM »
A quote from Jane Bown,

Do you come back from an outing with 4 or 500 images or perhaps  40 or 50 carefully considered shots, that you think 4 or 5 may make a picture worth looking at?

Both; It really depends on my mood, available time, as well as the subjects I find or decide to shoot. That said, I usually set out with the setting for a Single shot and flick to Continuous if I feel there may be something behaviour wise to be gained in a burst of shots.
:beer: Andy

"Light anchors things in place and gives perspective meaning."

The choices we make are rooted in reflection.

http://beauxreflets.blogspot.com/

Offline anglefire

• Canon Biggamist. Four bodies and some lenses. :)
  • Canon Owner and Proud of it :)
    • Mark Colston Photography
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2016, 10:31:12 PM »
A quote from Jane Bown,

Depends what I'm photographing  - BIF, Motorsports and football (I've only done two of these, both work charity events) I tend to stick the camera on either slow (6fps) or high speed (12fps) to catch the right moment - but also try and use timing as going through 3 or 4000 shots is not fun!

Static subjects or people I tend to be more considered and take very few.
----------------------------------
Mark
* A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odourless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

CPS Gold Member
My Website

latest Posts

Subject Board Views/Replies Member Date & Time
xx POLL - Home and Garden International Weekly Comp Entries 88/0 Jediboy Last post April 07, 2020, 11:06:27 AM
xx HOME AND GARDEN - Weekly Comp CHAT THREAD International Weekly Comp Entries 184/4 anglefire Last post April 07, 2020, 07:46:19 AM
xx HOME AND GARDEN - Weekly Comp ENTRY THREAD International Weekly Comp Entries 173/4 anglefire Last post April 07, 2020, 07:45:17 AM
xx FOOD PHOTOGRAPHY CHAT - 5th-12th April 2020 International Weekly Comp Entries 110/4 Jediboy Last post April 06, 2020, 04:14:53 PM
xx POLL - Something good, Weekly Competition International Weekly Comp Entries 232/5 Jediboy Last post April 05, 2020, 11:46:39 PM
xx FOOD PHOTOGRAPHY ENTRIES 5th-12th April 2020 International Weekly Comp Entries 69/0 jinky Last post April 05, 2020, 10:28:18 AM
xx What annoyed you today? General Discussion 594846/3924 Oldboy Last post April 02, 2020, 06:25:36 PM
xx What made you feel good today General Discussion 571995/3895 Oldboy Last post April 01, 2020, 10:38:32 AM