Horizons PollCanon EF L IS USM 500 f/4...Horizons ENTRIES 27/07...What annoyed you today?STREET-ENTRIES-Weekly Com...STREET-CHAT-Weekly Comp 1...POLL for TIME OUTTIME OUT. Chat thread wee...TIME OUT. Entry thread w...Horizons CHAT thread 2...POLL -NUMBERS and / or LE...NUMBERS and / or LETTERS ...POLL Happiness is.......Nice houseHappiness is.... Entry Th...Happiness is.... Chat Thr...

Author Topic: New Monitor  (Read 1314 times)

Offline anglefire

• Canon Biggamist. Three bodies and some lenses. :) - Sold my 1DMk3
  • Canon Owner and Proud of it :)
    • Mark Colston Photography
New Monitor
« on: March 01, 2016, 10:55:59 PM »
Bought a new monitor at the end of last week.

I was running a Samsung 22" LCD as my main screen and a Sharp 19" as the second one.

I now have a 27" Dell U2715H LCD running @ 2560x1440 and have relegated to Samsung to 2nd fiddle.

I really didn't want to get a Dell - as I've always felt they are built to a price rather than anything else, however, reading several reviews convinced me that this would be a good buy - and indeed it is - the colours are spot on - and bright (I've had to turn the brightness down to avoid the sunglasses!)

It wasn't cheap by any stretch - but covers 99% of the sRGB gamut and is calibrated at the factory - you can get monitors to cover aRGB - but they are really silly money!

You can also get 4k monitors - but having had the 2k Dell for a few days and having had to upgrade the video card to enable the full resolution to be realised, 4K would be stupid - you would have to alter the scale to be able to see anything, unless running a humungous monitor! :2funny:

----------------------------------
Mark
* A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odourless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Offline Oldboy

Re: New Monitor
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2016, 11:30:58 PM »
I've got two Samsung monitors and can't fault them.  :tup:

Offline hssutton

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2016, 10:01:57 AM »
My wife bought me a new monitor as a late birthday and early Christmas present, this was the Asus 27" Frameless LED display with native 2560 x 1440 WQHD resolution, and AH-IPS. I initially though there was a major problem of grit on the screen. My desktop wallpaper is a photo I took last year of the Vulcan bomber. I spent several minutes considering my options when the wallpaper image changed and all the 'grit' had disappeared. It transpired that the 'grit' was emanating from the exhaust. Not really evident as grit it the low res Image here, or the high res image on my old 24" monitor.

This is the photo in question

Harry

Offline anglefire

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2016, 09:19:01 PM »
Do like the Vulcan :)

You've made me think about my current wallpaper - I think I'd better up the resolution as it is probably no where near WQHD ;)
Mark
* A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odourless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Offline hssutton

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2016, 09:50:46 PM »
Do like the Vulcan :)

You've made me think about my current wallpaper - I think I'd better up the resolution as it is probably no where near WQHD ;)

I've read that the Asus and the Dell use the same panel. https://pcmonitors.info/asus/asus-mx27aq-elegant-wqhd-ah-ips-model/

Offline anglefire

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2016, 10:45:59 PM »
Comparing the specs of the two on Scan.co.uk and they are similar, but not the same - doesn't mean they aren't the same panel though! Similar pricing too - the Asus has speakers - which I wouldn't use - the Dell has 3 USB3 ports and the stand is more flexible - up/down/tilt and rotate.
Mark

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Offline Hinfrance

• Global Moderator
  • Cake is good
    • Hinfrance
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2016, 07:38:48 AM »
My rather antique HP monitor is 97% sRGB. But I would really like a new bigger one. Still haven't won the lottery though, and yesterday Mrs H found a huge nail in one of the tyres on the car. So that's taken care of this month's discretionary spend  :'(
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

latest Posts

Subject Board Views/Replies Member Date & Time
xx Horizons Poll International Weekly Comp Entries 125/1 Oldboy Last post Today at 11:48:53 AM
xx Canon EF L IS USM 500 f/4 for sale Lenses 226/6 anglefire Last post August 05, 2020, 07:48:42 AM
xx Horizons ENTRIES 27/07 - 02/08/20 International Weekly Comp Entries 248/5 Oldboy Last post August 03, 2020, 10:25:12 PM
xx What annoyed you today? General Discussion 636455/3972 Jediboy Last post August 03, 2020, 02:13:31 PM
question STREET-ENTRIES-Weekly Comp 1/8-9/8/2020 International Weekly Comp Entries 61/0 Hinfrance Last post August 01, 2020, 04:09:00 PM
smiley STREET-CHAT-Weekly Comp 1/8-9/8/2020 International Weekly Comp Entries 43/0 Hinfrance Last post August 01, 2020, 04:05:33 PM
xx POLL for TIME OUT International Weekly Comp Entries 207/3 Hinfrance Last post August 01, 2020, 01:04:50 PM
xx TIME OUT. Chat thread weekly comp. International Weekly Comp Entries 241/4 Jediboy Last post July 27, 2020, 11:31:15 PM