Canon EF L IS USM 500 f/4...Horizons PollHorizons ENTRIES 27/07...What annoyed you today?STREET-ENTRIES-Weekly Com...STREET-CHAT-Weekly Comp 1...POLL for TIME OUTTIME OUT. Chat thread wee...TIME OUT. Entry thread w...Horizons CHAT thread 2...POLL -NUMBERS and / or LE...NUMBERS and / or LETTERS ...POLL Happiness is.......Nice houseHappiness is.... Entry Th...Happiness is.... Chat Thr...

Author Topic: IMAGE QUALITY  (Read 2089 times)

Offline Beaux Reflets

• Global Moderator
  • Commonsense answers a whole load of the unanswered
    • Beaux Reflets
IMAGE QUALITY
« on: December 23, 2015, 08:35:02 PM »
Reading the recent Shouts opens up interesting thoughts and questions upon where or what draws the line to determine " what is good Image Quality" and indeed; What is the best combination of Make, Sensor, and Lens to achieve images that deliver a "Quality Image".

OK., to a certain degree over the vast range of cameras available today the term 'horses for courses' probably applies to what an individual photographer's needs are, and what they personally consider as the level they wish to achieve or interprate as 'Quality of image.'

While I hate to think that I can never provide or achieve an image of exceedingly good Quality using Fuji gear  ;)  I am reminded that my little Fuji S8000fd provided quite a few shots that exceeded many folks expectation along side shots taken with fairly decent DSLR's.

So what actually constitutes "QUALITY" or Good image Quality?

:beer:

:beer: Andy

"Light anchors things in place and gives perspective meaning."

The choices we make are rooted in reflection.

http://beauxreflets.blogspot.com/

Offline anglefire

• Canon Biggamist. Three bodies and some lenses. :) - Sold my 1DMk3
  • Canon Owner and Proud of it :)
    • Mark Colston Photography
Re: IMAGE QUALITY
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2015, 09:03:10 PM »
Very good question.

I've been looking through my old photographs taken on various cameras and lens combination going back to my Canon 350D through my 5D, 1DMk3 and 1Dx - and I'm amazed at the quality of even the 350D shots - though to be fair, I've bought good glass over camera's (Though bought them when money allowed!) as they tend to hold their value better than cameras.

As an example, all these here: http://www.mark.colston-online.co.uk/Barcelona/index.html were with my 350D and probably wth my 17-40f4

So, to answer in less words. Quality is more down to the lens - a better camera just allows you to capture the shot in more extreme circumstances.  I don't even think the sensor is that important as long as it has "enough" pixies and you can keep with its sensible ISO range.
----------------------------------
Mark
* A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odourless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Offline Oldboy

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2015, 10:04:15 PM »
I don't think it matters what camera, sensor or lens you use, as all can be used to produce a quality image. Think of lenses, cameras and sensors as tools you use to produce your masterpiece. While Rembrandt used various brushes and paints to produce his images you use different tools to do the same job. Think of Reinardina and the way she uses software to change her picture into an old master painting.  Her original image may not be quality but rather just, 'run of the mill' picture which wouldn't standout. By using Photoshop's tools she has turned it into a quality image. So, a quality image is what you see in your minds eye and cameras are just the tools you use to make it real.  :tup:

Offline jinky

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2015, 08:11:31 AM »
I agree that it`s not the type of camera that always "makes" an image and the subject content / composition and other elements are the key. Also that it`s better to capture the image you see and want to keep with whatever camera is to hand and even a cheap compact is better than none at all to capture the moment. My comments in the shouts were more about those  magical moments when you had all the time in the world to catch a fantastic image but were limited by the fact that you`d gone with a carry on bag leaving the dslr at home. The panoramic shots I do with my compacts are clever and at first glance can be impressive but on closer inspection and even in print at times lack that detail I can get with a few shots stitched from my dslr. Night shots rendered a little too painterly and also not getting that killer bokeh / really shallow depth of field are really highlighted when I compare my LX100 1.7 aperture shots with my 50mm 1.4 Nikon lens too. Still it`s nice to have the choice sometimes and for daylight touristy shots it`s a blessing not to have the big backpack or be told I have to leave it at a flimsy security point when I go in somewhere!

Offline Karen

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2015, 09:08:35 AM »
I certainly didn't mean to imply there was anything wrong with Fuji it just wasn't for me at the end of the day. It definitely has a lot going for it but now Ive had experience of both I prefer my DSLR.

Offline SimonW

• Dunning Parish Historical Society
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2015, 09:12:34 AM »
Quality - you know it when you see it!

Some images are all the better for intentional blurr, being mostly out of focus, having (added) noise and so on. And some very clearly aren't. So does the same scene look better with or without any of these "defects"? Different people viewing the same image will often disagree....
Simon Warren
(in Dunning, Scotland)

Offline Hinfrance

• Global Moderator
  • Cake is good
    • Hinfrance
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2015, 10:32:20 AM »
I certainly didn't mean to imply there was anything wrong with Fuji it just wasn't for me at the end of the day. It definitely has a lot going for it but now Ive had experience of both I prefer my DSLR.

I don't think you did Karen. Obviously you prefer the DSLR, and it is personal preference.

I'm a completely in agreement with Paul about bokeh and DOF, although to a large extent these can be added in PP if desired. I also agree with Mark about lenses - without a doubt my two best and sharpest lenses are my primes. Actually, I don't have any issue with any of the comments so far - they're all valid.

It is true that the few photographs of mine we have on the walls were all taken with a DSLR. Although I have one I would like to hang that was taken with my now sold Fuji HS20. My next camera purchase will definitely be a bridge camera, and probably another Fuji.

Off now to start the preparations (food, mainly) for tomorrow. Merry Christmas everyone  :tup:
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

Offline anglefire

• Canon Biggamist. Three bodies and some lenses. :) - Sold my 1DMk3
  • Canon Owner and Proud of it :)
    • Mark Colston Photography
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2015, 08:19:10 PM »
As I've already said, a "better" camera allows some shots to be caught that a lesser camera can't - generally fast moving subjects are easier to get with a fast camera and decent lens - and shots in low light to name but too.

My 350D was good to about ISO800 - 1600 was only just ok, my 5D good to ISO3200 with the right subject, Mk3 to about the same really, but the 1Dx can produce stunning shots even at ISO25600 - especially when printed out.

But I also agree that a small compact or even a phone is the right camera if it is the one you have to hand at the time!

I certainly wouldn't begin to seriously suggest any one make was better than any other as it all very much personal preference (Though Canon is best  :legit:)
----------------------------------
Mark
* A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odourless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

CPS Gold Member
My Website

latest Posts

Subject Board Views/Replies Member Date & Time
xx Canon EF L IS USM 500 f/4 for sale Lenses 203/6 anglefire Last post August 05, 2020, 07:48:42 AM
xx Horizons Poll International Weekly Comp Entries 72/0 jinky Last post August 04, 2020, 10:13:43 AM
xx Horizons ENTRIES 27/07 - 02/08/20 International Weekly Comp Entries 233/5 Oldboy Last post August 03, 2020, 10:25:12 PM
xx What annoyed you today? General Discussion 636048/3972 Jediboy Last post August 03, 2020, 02:13:31 PM
question STREET-ENTRIES-Weekly Comp 1/8-9/8/2020 International Weekly Comp Entries 55/0 Hinfrance Last post August 01, 2020, 04:09:00 PM
smiley STREET-CHAT-Weekly Comp 1/8-9/8/2020 International Weekly Comp Entries 41/0 Hinfrance Last post August 01, 2020, 04:05:33 PM
xx POLL for TIME OUT International Weekly Comp Entries 194/3 Hinfrance Last post August 01, 2020, 01:04:50 PM
xx TIME OUT. Chat thread weekly comp. International Weekly Comp Entries 235/4 Jediboy Last post July 27, 2020, 11:31:15 PM