POLL for STREETSTREET-CHAT-Weekly Comp 1...STREET-ENTRIES-Weekly Com...Horizons PollREFLECTIONS - Chat Threa...REFLECTIONS - Entry threa...Canon EF L IS USM 500 f/4...Horizons ENTRIES 27/07...What annoyed you today?POLL for TIME OUTTIME OUT. Chat thread wee...TIME OUT. Entry thread w...Horizons CHAT thread 2...POLL -NUMBERS and / or LE...NUMBERS and / or LETTERS ...POLL Happiness is.......

Author Topic: Infection?  (Read 5453 times)

Offline Reinardina

• Still trying to master photography.
Infection?
« on: August 15, 2015, 08:03:38 PM »
This morning, I was suddenly confronted by this message:

I obviously did not touch it, as it looks too dangerous.

For starters, I don't own a desktop, I am not interested in iPhones and why offer an iPhone 6 if you want 'testers' for the iPhone 7? I'm not even sure I was on any site.

The annoying thing is, I cannot get rid of it. I had to use ctr-alt-del to close the browser (Edge), I then shut down the laptop, as I had to go out.
Sadly it did not go away, and when I want to use the Edge browser, it is there, still blocking everything else.

It is of course a quick way to force me to use Google Chrome, but still, I want to get rid of it.

All advice welcome.

Another thing, possibly related, I sometimes get unwanted 'back ground music' from nowhere, when I am on the Internet. It started with an advertisement for an Irish holiday, but I have had several songs since. They seem to come out of the blue and start without warning. It is only the sound, no picture.

Beauty is bought by judgment of the eye.
Shakespeare. (Love's Labours Lost.)

Offline Oldboy

Re: Infection?
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2015, 10:56:12 PM »
When you log on to windows the screen that appears is your desktop. It's where you open applications from like Word. You are right to be careful and don't press the OK button. It's spam and clicking the OK button may run code that may download viruses or malware. Just checked it out on the web and it is a scam. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkLlGiZSLO8

Can't find a way to remove it online and I haven't received it so can't try it out myself. Click on the three dots, 'More Actions' option at the top right of the Edge screen. From the dropdown list select settings. From the list select Clear Browsing Data button - Choose what to clear. Make sure Browsing history, Cookies and saved website data and Cached data and files all have a tick by the side. These should be selected by default, then click the clear button. This should remove it hopefully. You may need to close Edge and reopen to make it work. Hope this works.  :tup:

Offline Reinardina

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2015, 11:28:59 PM »
Thanks OB. I see what I can do tomorrow, as it's too late now.

I don't think I could do anything in Edge, as the whole screen is covered by a grey, 'see through' window, with the message in the middle. The 'close' cross, top right, does light up red, when the cursor is hovering over it, but I cannot click it.

Just ran a full scan, which detected nothing, while there obviously is something.

Offline DigiDiva

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2015, 07:53:02 AM »
Let us know how you get on. I hope your computer is OK.
Please visit my website @ www.sunderlandwallart.com

Offline Hinfrance

• Global Moderator
  • Cake is good
    • Hinfrance
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2015, 08:03:33 AM »
Crikey Re. I wonder where you managed to pick that up?
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

Offline Reinardina

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2015, 08:59:31 AM »
I have been searching for floor coverings, not sites you associate with danger, I would think.

Can't do much about it today, as the renovation hit some snags on Friday, and the contractor is coming back today to catch up, which means no electricity and no Internet.

Offline Reinardina

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2015, 08:42:17 PM »
Success!!!

Malwarebytes did not do the trick, so I had a chat with the techies at John Lewis, and they advised Superantispyware, which found 880 adware and tracking cookies! They were successfully removed, and with it the offending message. Such a relief.

Didn't realise I had so many cookies, but I have been very busy on commercial sites, due to the renovation, and apparently these dangers can lurk in innocent sites.

Are tracking cookies the ones you are told about, when you visit a site? Or are they a different kettle of fish? And if so, how can I avoid them?

Offline DigiDiva

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2015, 08:04:35 PM »
Did it cost much to repair Reinardina?

Offline Reinardina

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2015, 10:40:39 PM »
Did it cost much to repair Reinardina?

Not a penny. I cleared it up myself, with the advised software. Took some time, but that was all.

Offline DigiDiva

« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2015, 06:44:20 AM »
Even better!

Offline Hinfrance

• Global Moderator
  • Cake is good
    • Hinfrance
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2015, 08:21:56 AM »
I thought I would give SuperAntiSpyware a try, just tot see if it came up with anything on my PC. The 'pro' version is only $19.95 so I might invest.

The first run, however, threw up my VPN as 'potentially unwanted software', which I find a little odd. Certainly the free version of that is adware supported, but I have an annual subscription . .

Loads of adware cookies, but then I knew they were there and so the question is do I want relevant ads or just random marketing? I'll delete them for now and see how weird the various site pop-up ads get. Should be a laugh if nothing else :)
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

Offline Reinardina

« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2015, 09:13:33 AM »
I thought I would give SuperAntiSpyware a try, just tot see if it came up with anything on my PC. The 'pro' version is only $19.95 so I might invest.

The first run, however, threw up my VPN as 'potentially unwanted software', which I find a little odd. Certainly the free version of that is adware supported, but I have an annual subscription . .

Loads of adware cookies, but then I knew they were there and so the question is do I want relevant ads or just random marketing? I'll delete them for now and see how weird the various site pop-up ads get. Should be a laugh if nothing else :)

I didn't even know what VPN stands for; had to Google it.

I don't know the first thing about computers; only have one laptop as my main computer, and a net/note book for travelling, with only four additional programmes on the laptop (BT Plus security, Trusteer/Rapport security, Office and Elements 11), plus whatever extras Toshiba and Microsoft have put on.

For simple me, it worked a treat.

Offline Hinfrance

• Global Moderator
  • Cake is good
    • Hinfrance
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2015, 10:32:17 AM »
I'm definitely not buying the pro version - it's an annual licence (that fact being pretty well hidden in the small print), and therefore a bargepole job. Shame they have to be so sneaky when they provide anti sneaking software  ::)
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr

Offline hssutton

« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2015, 11:27:43 AM »
fingers crossed, but I've never had a nasty on my PCs, but I regulary run Superantispyware (freeware edition) and Ccleaner. Malawarebytes gave me problems, so I dumped it. A program to be aware of is Sparktrust PC cleaner. do not use it. A friend of mine called me regarding a PC problem. I've not been able to acertain how she got this program. She started up her pC a few days ago and was confronted  with a slash screen advising her to run the program so as to clear out all the rubbish on her PC.
This she did and was then confronted a demand to pay for the program to remove all the offending problems. so she tried to close down the program, but to no avail. Restarting the PC only brought up the same program. At this point she called me for help. Running the PC safe mode was no help as Windows explorer kept shutting down and restarting, so I was unable to sort out the problem. finished up reinstalling windows.

Harry

Offline Reinardina

« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2015, 12:14:04 PM »
Harry, is Cleaner a separate programme, or is it associated with Supaerantispyware?

latest Posts

Subject Board Views/Replies Member Date & Time
question POLL for STREET International Weekly Comp Entries 44/0 Hinfrance Last post August 11, 2020, 08:10:27 AM
xx STREET-CHAT-Weekly Comp 1/8-9/8/2020 International Weekly Comp Entries 122/3 Jediboy Last post August 10, 2020, 06:59:38 PM
xx STREET-ENTRIES-Weekly Comp 1/8-9/8/2020 International Weekly Comp Entries 174/4 Jediboy Last post August 10, 2020, 06:57:54 PM
xx Horizons Poll International Weekly Comp Entries 220/4 anglefire Last post August 09, 2020, 04:51:11 PM
xx REFLECTIONS - Chat Thread, Weekly Comp - 08/08/20 - 16/08/20 International Weekly Comp Entries 61/2 Jediboy Last post August 09, 2020, 03:31:50 PM
xx REFLECTIONS - Entry thread, Weekly Comp - 08/08/20 - 16/08/20 International Weekly Comp Entries 20/0 Jediboy Last post August 09, 2020, 03:20:15 PM
xx Canon EF L IS USM 500 f/4 for sale Lenses 271/6 anglefire Last post August 05, 2020, 07:48:42 AM
xx Horizons ENTRIES 27/07 - 02/08/20 International Weekly Comp Entries 268/5 Oldboy Last post August 03, 2020, 10:25:12 PM