Canon EF L IS USM 500 f/4...Horizons PollHorizons ENTRIES 27/07...What annoyed you today?STREET-ENTRIES-Weekly Com...STREET-CHAT-Weekly Comp 1...POLL for TIME OUTTIME OUT. Chat thread wee...TIME OUT. Entry thread w...Horizons CHAT thread 2...POLL -NUMBERS and / or LE...NUMBERS and / or LETTERS ...POLL Happiness is.......Nice houseHappiness is.... Entry Th...Happiness is.... Chat Thr...

Author Topic: IOTW 6th July 2015  (Read 1424 times)

Offline Beaux Reflets

• Global Moderator
  • Commonsense answers a whole load of the unanswered
    • Beaux Reflets
IOTW 6th July 2015
« on: July 06, 2015, 10:12:26 AM »
Congratulations jinky, on your photograph being selected for IOTW by last weeks winner Karen.

The image is now live on front page, or you can view the image in the gallery should you wish to make a comment etc.

More information on IOTW works can be found here   How IOTW works

:beer: Andy

"Light anchors things in place and gives perspective meaning."

The choices we make are rooted in reflection.

http://beauxreflets.blogspot.com/

Offline Reinardina

• Still trying to master photography.
Re: IOTW 6th July 2015
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2015, 10:14:02 AM »
Good choice, wonderful summery image.

Beauty is bought by judgment of the eye.
Shakespeare. (Love's Labours Lost.)

Offline DigiDiva

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2015, 11:56:26 AM »
This is a lovely 8image that would look stunning on a bedroom wall. Well done.
Please visit my website @ www.sunderlandwallart.com

Offline jinky

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2015, 04:52:10 PM »
Just back in the UK after my Baltics cruise so this was a nice surprise. Thanks Karen / Andy  :)

Offline Oldboy

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2015, 08:54:01 PM »
Just back in the UK after my Baltics cruise so this was a nice surprise. Thanks Karen / Andy  :)

Cruising! Isn't that also called kerb-crawling?  :-* :P

Offline Reinardina

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2015, 09:37:10 PM »

Here they don't call that cruising, and in the States they don't call it kerb crawling. (As far as I'm aware.)

Hope you had a good voyage Paul; what ship did you sail in?

Offline jinky

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2015, 09:55:50 PM »
Royal Caribbean Brilliance of the Seas. A lot smaller than the last one I was on but very nice. Great food and we got a free parking at Harwich, gratuities paid and free wine / beer / soft drinks package as well as a good price so some serious exercise and dieting needed now.

Offline Oldboy

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2015, 10:52:43 PM »

Here they don't call that cruising, and in the States they don't call it kerb crawling. (As far as I'm aware.)

In the United States, the term "cruising" was used to predominantly denote exclusively homosexual behavior, but as in Australia and the United Kingdom it is used by both homosexuals and heterosexuals to describe their own behavior, as witnessed in the common male heterosexual derivative phrase "cruising for chicks"

A kerb crawler (or curb crawler) is a person who drives around areas known for street prostitution soliciting prostitutes for sexual activity. The act is known as "kerb crawling" because the person will typically drive very slowly along the kerbside.   ;)

Offline Reinardina

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2015, 07:17:01 AM »

In the United States, the term "cruising" was used to predominantly denote exclusively homosexual behavior, but as in Australia and the United Kingdom it is used by both homosexuals and heterosexuals to describe their own behavior, as witnessed in the common male heterosexual derivative phrase "cruising for chicks"

A kerb crawler (or curb crawler) is a person who drives around areas known for street prostitution soliciting prostitutes for sexual activity. The act is known as "kerb crawling" because the person will typically drive very slowly along the kerbside.   ;)

Thanks for the language lesson. You live and learn.

I'm that long in the tooth, that to me, (American) cruising, means teenage boys, showing off in their daddy's giant cars (the ones with wings), hoping to impress girls. This is going back to the late fifties/early sixties, before the sexual revolution, when things, on the whole, were still pretty innocent.

Homosexuals were still (mainly) out of sight, in cupboards.

Offline jinky

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2015, 10:37:13 AM »
Oh no! Cruising is out for me from now on then. I think I`ll just stick to dogging and cottaging ( that is taking my pet to stay in dog friendly accommodation out in the countryside). There cannot be any double meanings in that!  :legit:

Offline DigiDiva

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2015, 10:49:47 AM »
Haha
Please visit my website @ www.sunderlandwallart.com

Offline kerbside

• kerbside
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2015, 11:02:03 AM »
Cruising for me is just taking life as it comes, eg Just cruising along. :tup:

You have to be in to win but winning is not everything, it's participating that counts.
http://www.fluidr.com/photos/kerbside

Offline Oldboy

« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2015, 08:40:19 PM »
Oh no! Cruising is out for me from now on then. I think I`ll just stick to dogging and cottaging ( that is taking my pet to stay in dog friendly accommodation out in the countryside). There cannot be any double meanings in that!  :legit:

That might be a bit cheesy!  :o

Offline WillyP

« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2015, 12:28:37 PM »

Cruising here in the US means as you say for Australia and UK, driving around looking for chicks, though I guess it could be used by gays looking for action, it certainly is not used exclusively to indicate homosexual behavior. I've never thought of it that way, before I was married we often cruised, or went cruising, just looking for something to do. But since we always were looking for chicks, that's what it ended up being. But it was more of a car-culture term than a sex one, even if we had chicks we would cruise around anyway.

And as teenagers, we usually had our own cars, I had my own car long before I had a license to drive!
« Last Edit: July 09, 2015, 12:31:53 PM by WillyP »

Offline Reinardina

« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2015, 04:55:18 PM »

Cruising here in the US means as you say for Australia and UK, driving around looking for chicks, though I guess it could be used by gays looking for action, it certainly is not used exclusively to indicate homosexual behavior. I've never thought of it that way, before I was married we often cruised, or went cruising, just looking for something to do. But since we always were looking for chicks, that's what it ended up being. But it was more of a car-culture term than a sex one, even if we had chicks we would cruise around anyway.

And as teenagers, we usually had our own cars, I had my own car long before I had a license to drive!

That's very much the impression I got, back in the golden days of beautiful cars. Mind you, I don't know it first hand, but a school friend emigrated to the States in the early sixties, and it is through her eyes, I saw this world.  Somehow I got the impression the cars were not the boys' property, but their father's. Maybe the Beach Boys are guilty here?
(Fun fun fun: Well she got her daddy's car
 And she's cruisin' through the hamburger stand now)

latest Posts

Subject Board Views/Replies Member Date & Time
xx Canon EF L IS USM 500 f/4 for sale Lenses 86/4 Hinfrance Last post Today at 09:28:37 PM
xx Horizons Poll International Weekly Comp Entries 21/0 jinky Last post Today at 10:13:43 AM
xx Horizons ENTRIES 27/07 - 02/08/20 International Weekly Comp Entries 210/5 Oldboy Last post August 03, 2020, 10:25:12 PM
xx What annoyed you today? General Discussion 635256/3972 Jediboy Last post August 03, 2020, 02:13:31 PM
question STREET-ENTRIES-Weekly Comp 1/8-9/8/2020 International Weekly Comp Entries 43/0 Hinfrance Last post August 01, 2020, 04:09:00 PM
smiley STREET-CHAT-Weekly Comp 1/8-9/8/2020 International Weekly Comp Entries 28/0 Hinfrance Last post August 01, 2020, 04:05:33 PM
xx POLL for TIME OUT International Weekly Comp Entries 181/3 Hinfrance Last post August 01, 2020, 01:04:50 PM
xx TIME OUT. Chat thread weekly comp. International Weekly Comp Entries 219/4 Jediboy Last post July 27, 2020, 11:31:15 PM