Canon EF L IS USM 500 f/4...Horizons PollHorizons ENTRIES 27/07...What annoyed you today?STREET-ENTRIES-Weekly Com...STREET-CHAT-Weekly Comp 1...POLL for TIME OUTTIME OUT. Chat thread wee...TIME OUT. Entry thread w...Horizons CHAT thread 2...POLL -NUMBERS and / or LE...NUMBERS and / or LETTERS ...POLL Happiness is.......Nice houseHappiness is.... Entry Th...Happiness is.... Chat Thr...

Author Topic: What Antivirus software?  (Read 2175 times)

Offline Mick

• I've got the latest Canon - 4 rings, double oven and eye level grill! And HD video!
  • Administrator
  • I really, really hate lawn mowers.
    • Camera Craniums
What Antivirus software?
« on: June 02, 2015, 09:21:19 PM »
So, what antivirus software do you use nowadays?  I've been using Norton Internet Security over the last few years without any problems, but the new version seems to have changed, now called Norton Security.  Any good?

A lot of mew PC's and Laptops come with McAfee (think that's because Intel own it), I tried it and absolutely hate it. Don't know why, but I just do.

Thank You, "Guest" For Reading This Post.

My Gallery
Tinyportal.net Running SMF 2.0.13 / Tinyportal 1.0
Guitarist Guild Running SMF 2.0.13 / Tinyportal 1.2R
The Garden Machinery Forum Running SMF 2.0.13 / Tinyportal 1.2R

Offline Oldboy

Re: What Antivirus software?
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2015, 09:35:03 PM »
I use McAfee without problems on a 64 PC with 16gb memory. I also used it on a 32 PC with Vista and had to turn off scanning as it was using too much memory and couldn't run other applications. I have used Norton in the past and that too slowed down the PC when scanning was on.  :tup:

Offline WillyP

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2015, 02:18:05 AM »
I stopped using Norton many years ago when trying to trouble shoot a slow computer and Norton was the cause. Norton had quite a reputation as being slow for a while, don't know if that's still true. Now, mainly, I just don't want to pay their ridiculous prices.

I run Microsoft Security Essentials as a background AV, and Hitman Pro scans on every start-up. I also block website scripts by default with NoScript, a Firefox add-on. And I have a disc full of other tools, just in case.

Any AV will slow the computer down when scanning the issue with Norton is that it was slowing the machine down all the time.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2015, 02:19:47 AM by WillyP »

Offline Reinardina

• Still trying to master photography.
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2015, 07:35:02 AM »
My internet provider is BT and I rely on their BT Net Protect Plus, which is McAfee.

Beauty is bought by judgment of the eye.
Shakespeare. (Love's Labours Lost.)

Offline Hinfrance

• Global Moderator
  • Cake is good
    • Hinfrance
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2015, 08:14:33 AM »
Microsoft Security Essentials - presumably something else I will have to replace when/if I upgrade to W10.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

Offline SimonW

• Dunning Parish Historical Society
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2015, 08:58:19 AM »
Kaspersky does it all for me, on all the family's PCs, Laptops and phones. Seems very good, no noticeable slowing under normal circumstances, but when I do a full hard disk copy for backup purposes I find it faster if I temporarily pause Kaspersky first.
Simon Warren
(in Dunning, Scotland)

Offline Alfonso_Frisk

• Global Moderator
    • http://www.flickr.com/photos/nosmo_king2007/
    • My Shipping images
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2015, 10:02:59 AM »
Have tried the following on my 4 machines

Norton - slow and hogs all resource, plus a bugger to remove
Avira free - ok
Avast free - works fine
AVG- slowed me down and a bugger to remove.
Macafee Was ok at the start then went TU after some updates

My brother uses Kapersky and it really does hog the memory.

I now use Bullguard which has been great this past 2 years. I did turn off the auto update feature though and check manually once a week
http://www.fluidr.com/photos/nosmo_king2007
http://www.seateamimages.com/search.php
Wine improves with age, The older I get the more I like it.

Offline Ken.

• Too Much is not Enough!
    • Our FamilyForum
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2015, 11:43:15 AM »
+1 for Alfonso.  :tup:

Microsoft Security Essentials for me... mostly.

Through the years we've used, or tried a lot of different utilities and packages but I keep coming back to MSE.

Offline spinner

« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2015, 12:00:37 PM »
I run Avast on my Mac and MSE on my Win 7 both seem to work well on their respective systems. Like others, I found the big 3 commercial systems to be resource hogs.
And more, much more than this, I did it my way
Ol' blue eyes

http://ddsdigita4.wix.com/ddsdigital
https://www.flickr.com/photos/spin498/

Offline deetus

• illupho.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2015, 09:42:01 PM »
BT Net Protect Plus by Macafee, seems to do a good job. One of the things I do like is the notification of software updates.

Offline Karen

« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2015, 11:18:56 PM »
AVG

Offline jinky

« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2015, 08:47:08 AM »
Avast for me - works well. Had problems in the past with Mcaffee and Kaspersky which I still cannot fully remove from my system despite all efforts.

Offline anglefire

• Canon Biggamist. Three bodies and some lenses. :) - Sold my 1DMk3
  • Canon Owner and Proud of it :)
    • Mark Colston Photography
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2015, 08:40:20 AM »
Funny how this has come up on a few places now!

I did have AVG (Paid version) for a couple of years but after it stopped updating for about a month due to a bug and ignored my support questions I dumped it in favour of ESET Nod32 - at the time it was one of the few that tests showed it actually worked. Very low overhead, has not failed to catch any email threats yet.

Work uses MS Security Essentials. Seems to work ok, but then they do have server side protection too (Not that that stops everything!)

Hate all Norton products with the exception of PCAnyware.
----------------------------------
Mark
* A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odourless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

CPS Gold Member
My Website

latest Posts

Subject Board Views/Replies Member Date & Time
xx Canon EF L IS USM 500 f/4 for sale Lenses 196/6 anglefire Last post August 05, 2020, 07:48:42 AM
xx Horizons Poll International Weekly Comp Entries 65/0 jinky Last post August 04, 2020, 10:13:43 AM
xx Horizons ENTRIES 27/07 - 02/08/20 International Weekly Comp Entries 229/5 Oldboy Last post August 03, 2020, 10:25:12 PM
xx What annoyed you today? General Discussion 635992/3972 Jediboy Last post August 03, 2020, 02:13:31 PM
question STREET-ENTRIES-Weekly Comp 1/8-9/8/2020 International Weekly Comp Entries 55/0 Hinfrance Last post August 01, 2020, 04:09:00 PM
smiley STREET-CHAT-Weekly Comp 1/8-9/8/2020 International Weekly Comp Entries 41/0 Hinfrance Last post August 01, 2020, 04:05:33 PM
xx POLL for TIME OUT International Weekly Comp Entries 192/3 Hinfrance Last post August 01, 2020, 01:04:50 PM
xx TIME OUT. Chat thread weekly comp. International Weekly Comp Entries 234/4 Jediboy Last post July 27, 2020, 11:31:15 PM