Canon EF L IS USM 500 f/4...Horizons PollHorizons ENTRIES 27/07...What annoyed you today?STREET-ENTRIES-Weekly Com...STREET-CHAT-Weekly Comp 1...POLL for TIME OUTTIME OUT. Chat thread wee...TIME OUT. Entry thread w...Horizons CHAT thread 2...POLL -NUMBERS and / or LE...NUMBERS and / or LETTERS ...POLL Happiness is.......Nice houseHappiness is.... Entry Th...Happiness is.... Chat Thr...

Author Topic: Windows 10  (Read 4464 times)

Offline Mick

• I've got the latest Canon - 4 rings, double oven and eye level grill! And HD video!
  • Administrator
  • I really, really hate lawn mowers.
    • Camera Craniums
Windows 10
« on: June 01, 2015, 10:13:10 PM »
So, Windows 10 is on the way, and free upgrades for win 7 and 8.1 users.  Who's going to upgrade when the time comes. 

In fact anyone already been offered the free upgrade? Everybody on Windows 7 or 8. Look in the right hand corner of your screen by the clock.  ;)

I have two machines running windows 8.1, and although I've got used to its it, I'm going to install Windows 10.  My Windows 7 machines are staying with windows 7, as I like it.

Thank You, "Guest" For Reading This Post.

My Gallery
Tinyportal.net Running SMF 2.0.13 / Tinyportal 1.0
Guitarist Guild Running SMF 2.0.13 / Tinyportal 1.2R
The Garden Machinery Forum Running SMF 2.0.13 / Tinyportal 1.2R

Offline Alfonso_Frisk

• Global Moderator
    • http://www.flickr.com/photos/nosmo_king2007/
    • My Shipping images
Re: Windows 10
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2015, 11:31:20 PM »
Ive accepted the reservation today.
I like you are now used to Win8.1 and its weird set up and faults, but lets see how we cope.
http://www.fluidr.com/photos/nosmo_king2007
http://www.seateamimages.com/search.php
Wine improves with age, The older I get the more I like it.

Offline Graham

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2015, 05:58:59 AM »
 I'm on Windows7 but would wait a while for you "Techy Types" to sort out the bugs first.  ;)
 By the way, what happened to Windows 9?

By by the way. What should I be seeing next to the clock?
« Last Edit: June 02, 2015, 06:02:43 AM by Graham »
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. 

My Gallery
My Flickr Pics

Offline SimonW

• Dunning Parish Historical Society
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2015, 08:47:19 AM »
Both our machines are Windows 7 and have been told Windows 10 will download automatically when it comes out and we'll then be able to choose to install it or not. I intend to sit on it for a while after it comes, till I hear feedback from others (maybe I'm a coward) because I like Windows 7 and it's not clear whther I could go back to it after installing 10 if I didn't like it. I guess we'll all be forced onto 10 sooner or later though.
Simon Warren
(in Dunning, Scotland)

Offline Oldboy

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2015, 08:49:35 AM »
I'm on Windows7 but would wait a while for you "Techy Types" to sort out the bugs first.  ;)

Windows 9 was skipped as 10 sounded better. This new window software isn't a full rewrite of the operating system but only updates for modules within it. Microsoft has to throw a lot of resources at a full windows upgrade, it's usually late and full of bugs. The new system allows Microsoft to release updates for each module as required. How this works out we will have to wait and see.  :-\

You should see a small window like icon on the left of your taskbar. Hover the mouse pointer over it and a message will appear saying, 'Get Windows 10'.   :tup:
« Last Edit: June 02, 2015, 08:53:02 AM by Oldboy »

Offline Oldboy

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2015, 09:34:59 AM »
Both our machines are Windows 7 and have been told Windows 10 will download automatically when it comes out and we'll then be able to choose to install it or not. I intend to sit on it for a while after it comes, till I hear feedback from others (maybe I'm a coward) because I like Windows 7 and it's not clear whther I could go back to it after installing 10 if I didn't like it. I guess we'll all be forced onto 10 sooner or later though.

Before upgrading any operating system you should fully backup your drive C usually using image creation software. As external hard-drives are fairly cheap now it's not such a difficult task. In theory you should be able to upgrade Windows operating system and this will create a restore point during the upgrade which, will allow you to undo the upgrade if it doesn't work, but you are trusting that it will do this correctly.  :P

Offline hssutton

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2015, 09:48:02 AM »
I've been running W10 from the start and will definitely download the final version, but unsure if I will use it, as I'm much happier with W7. Initially I cloned my W7 OS to a second drive, so I have both version,
Question for Oldboy. When I start up my PC I get the option to select which OS to use. IF I select W10 I get an error. However if I press f11 at start-up and select W10 it starts without any problem. The errors are listed, but off hand I cannot remember them (old age) :stupid2:
Can upload the errors listed later on today.

Harry

Offline Graham

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2015, 10:57:12 AM »

Windows 9 was skipped as 10 sounded better. This new window software isn't a full rewrite of the operating system but only updates for modules within it. Microsoft has to throw a lot of resources at a full windows upgrade, it's usually late and full of bugs. The new system allows Microsoft to release updates for each module as required. How this works out we will have to wait and see.  :-\

You should see a small window like icon on the left of your taskbar. Hover the mouse pointer over it and a message will appear saying, 'Get Windows 10'.   :tup:

Found it!  :tup:

My Gallery
My Flickr Pics

Offline spinner

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2015, 11:56:56 AM »
So, Windows 10 is on the way, and free upgrades for win 7 and 8.1 users.  Who's going to upgrade when the time comes. 

In fact anyone already been offered the free upgrade? Everybody on Windows 7 or 8. Look in the right hand corner of your screen by the clock.  ;)

I have two machines running windows 8.1, and although I've got used to its it, I'm going to install Windows 10.  My Windows 7 machines are staying with windows 7, as I like it.

Did someone say FREE?  I like free.   :legit:

Seriously, I agree Mick, Win7 is a very good system. I played around with the Win 8 developer, while I'm used to it now I'm still not all that thrilled with it.
And more, much more than this, I did it my way
Ol' blue eyes

http://ddsdigita4.wix.com/ddsdigital
https://www.flickr.com/photos/spin498/

Offline Hinfrance

• Global Moderator
  • Cake is good
    • Hinfrance
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2015, 01:35:39 PM »
From el Reg today :"The upgrade will remove Windows Media Centre, as well as applications on a “list with known issues”, according to the specifications. Windows 10 (like 8) will not play DVDs without additional software. Windows 7 desktop gadgets will be removed."

I've ticked the box but I won't be a day one upgrader, that's for sure.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

Offline Graham

« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2015, 02:39:19 PM »
From el Reg today :"The upgrade will remove Windows Media Centre, as well as applications on a “list with known issues”, according to the specifications. Windows 10 (like 8) will not play DVDs without additional software. Windows 7 desktop gadgets will be removed."

Yes. I read that you/we will lose media centre, toys from the desk top and possibly other quite important things as well.
        So what will we get for our free upgrade?

My Gallery
My Flickr Pics

Offline Alfonso_Frisk

• Global Moderator
    • http://www.flickr.com/photos/nosmo_king2007/
    • My Shipping images
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2015, 03:09:53 PM »
So we are actually LOOSING stuff ?
Sounds more like an Downgrade than an Upgrade.
Might give it a miss at launch until I get me head around it.
http://www.fluidr.com/photos/nosmo_king2007
http://www.seateamimages.com/search.php
Wine improves with age, The older I get the more I like it.

Offline Mick

• I've got the latest Canon - 4 rings, double oven and eye level grill! And HD video!
  • Administrator
  • I really, really hate lawn mowers.
    • Camera Craniums
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2015, 06:28:45 PM »

I noticed Microsoft will supply a free app for playing DVD's in windows 10, here's a quote from the FAQ,

Windows Media Center is not part of Windows 10 and won’t be available after upgrading to Windows 10. If you use Windows Media Center, we will alert you during upgrade that Windows Media Center is not available on Windows 10. We know that some users use Windows Media Center to play DVDs, and we are providing a free DVD playback app in Windows 10 for Windows Media Center users

Also, windows 8 users already lost the Media center as far as I know it doesn't come with it.  So this will only affect win 7 users anyway.

If you click the little icon top left of the reserve box it's give you some links, one of them is "Check your PC" this will show you if your PC is ready to take win 10, and what software you have installed which won't work with windows 10.
Thank You, "Guest" For Reading This Post.

My Gallery
Tinyportal.net Running SMF 2.0.13 / Tinyportal 1.0
Guitarist Guild Running SMF 2.0.13 / Tinyportal 1.2R
The Garden Machinery Forum Running SMF 2.0.13 / Tinyportal 1.2R

Offline deetus

• illupho.co.uk
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2015, 09:03:48 PM »

I noticed Microsoft will supply a free app for playing DVD's in windows 10, here's a quote from the FAQ,

Windows Media Center is not part of Windows 10 and won’t be available after upgrading to Windows 10. If you use Windows Media Center, we will alert you during upgrade that Windows Media Center is not available on Windows 10. We know that some users use Windows Media Center to play DVDs, and we are providing a free DVD playback app in Windows 10 for Windows Media Center users

Also, windows 8 users already lost the Media center as far as I know it doesn't come with it.  So this will only affect win 7 users anyway.

If you click the little icon top left of the reserve box it's give you some links, one of them is "Check your PC" this will show you if your PC is ready to take win 10, and what software you have installed which won't work with windows 10.

Good idea, thanks for that Mick :tup:

Offline WillyP

« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2015, 02:40:50 AM »
Most people use other media software anyway. I use VLC, for video, and FooBar2000 for music.

latest Posts

Subject Board Views/Replies Member Date & Time
xx Canon EF L IS USM 500 f/4 for sale Lenses 203/6 anglefire Last post August 05, 2020, 07:48:42 AM
xx Horizons Poll International Weekly Comp Entries 75/0 jinky Last post August 04, 2020, 10:13:43 AM
xx Horizons ENTRIES 27/07 - 02/08/20 International Weekly Comp Entries 233/5 Oldboy Last post August 03, 2020, 10:25:12 PM
xx What annoyed you today? General Discussion 636054/3972 Jediboy Last post August 03, 2020, 02:13:31 PM
question STREET-ENTRIES-Weekly Comp 1/8-9/8/2020 International Weekly Comp Entries 56/0 Hinfrance Last post August 01, 2020, 04:09:00 PM
smiley STREET-CHAT-Weekly Comp 1/8-9/8/2020 International Weekly Comp Entries 41/0 Hinfrance Last post August 01, 2020, 04:05:33 PM
xx POLL for TIME OUT International Weekly Comp Entries 195/3 Hinfrance Last post August 01, 2020, 01:04:50 PM
xx TIME OUT. Chat thread weekly comp. International Weekly Comp Entries 235/4 Jediboy Last post July 27, 2020, 11:31:15 PM