POLL - Song Title SMALL - CHAT THREAD 16-22...SMALL - ENTRY THREAD 16-2...HeronSong Title CHAT thread 1s...Song Title ENTRY thread 1...Poll - Days out - 18th-25...Windows 10 19H1 is headin...POLL - SchoolSchool - Weekly Comp Entr...SCHOOL - Weekly comp Chat...Entry Thread - Days out -...POLL - DoorwaysChat Thread - Days out - ...1957 Ferrari California 2...Doorways - Entry Thread w...

Author Topic: Oly Pen EP1  (Read 2668 times)

guest4

Oly Pen EP1
« on: June 16, 2009, 04:16:01 PM »
This new digital Pen micro 4/3 model from Oly looks sweet but have you sen the prices?

Chepest package is £699 at Warehouse Express...

Gulp

Offline anglefire

• Canon Biggamist. Four bodies and some lenses. :)
  • Canon Owner and Proud of it :)
    • Mark Colston Photography
Re: Oly Pen EP1
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2009, 09:55:52 PM »
At that price, they have lost it.

Not that I was ever in the market for one!

----------------------------------
Mark
* A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odourless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Offline Malcolm1938

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2009, 06:53:12 PM »
They say this was based on he Pen F - If it was I would be first in the queue... The Pen F had a good Reflex viewfinder system while the EP1 is without a proper viewfinder relying on the rear screen. My first feeling was that they have lost the plot (Twice when you take the price into account)...
A friend of mine has a Panny G1 which is (in my opinion) a far better offering at a more realistic price. The G1 H is however too gimmicky to appeal and too pricey to consider..

« Last Edit: August 30, 2009, 10:16:37 PM by CannOffice »
FKA CannOffice
Too old to die young
Every day is a good day - if you wake up....

My Gallery

Offline Spiritflier

• My Flickr
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2009, 02:26:27 PM »
It looks great and having handled one, feels ok to use as well... It's like a G9 with interchangeable lenses!  :)

Having said that, I think it's overpriced and certainly no match for anything else at that price point on the market.
Good for Olympus for being creative though.
See ya,
Si

Offline spinner

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2009, 12:32:36 PM »
At that price, they have lost it.

Not that I was ever in the market for one!

It's way cheaper than the Gold Plated Canon Elph, I saw in my local camera shop last year. Still don't get that one.  :o
And more, much more than this, I did it my way
Ol' blue eyes

http://ddsdigita4.wix.com/ddsdigital
https://www.flickr.com/photos/spin498/

Offline anglefire

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2009, 04:22:20 PM »
I've got an empty cupboard full of stuff I didn't buy  ;D :tup:
Mark
* A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odourless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Offline Oly Paul

• CC Regular visitor
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2009, 05:15:25 PM »
Well I don't have one myself but contary to the consencus here , reports from Japan indicate that the Micro Four Thirds platform across the board, including Olympus and Panasonic, are claiming 20% of the interchangeable lens (read: DSLR), so if those figures are correct i guess  a few people are liking it and its only a matter of time before Canikon jump on the bandwagon.  ;)
Regards Paul
One day I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am.

http://www.pbase.com/paulsilkphotography

Offline anglefire

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2009, 06:36:37 PM »
Well, the forst bit may be true - but I doubt Cankon will every goto 4/3rds - Canon already have 3 sensor sizes - and the rumour is that the 1.3 crop will go sooner or later and just leave 1.6 and FF. Actually I like the 1.3 crop - quite a nice compromise. Though full frame is hard to beat somehow!
Mark

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Offline anglefire

« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2009, 06:37:22 PM »
Oh and I was also going to say, that £700 is only £300 short of the new 100mm macro lens :)
Mark

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Offline greypoint

« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2009, 06:51:22 PM »
For me anything without an optical viewfinder is of very limited use.

Offline Oly Paul

• CC Regular visitor
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2009, 09:00:09 AM »
For me anything without an optical viewfinder is of very limited use.

Me to which is why I have the E-30 (best of both worlds) but the best of both worlds in a package as small as the Ep-1 would greatly interest me. :)

Mark never say never, as I remember a few announcments from Canon and Nikon regarding dust busting and live veiw being unnecercery and not what there customers wanted. But the truth is as with any business if Micro 4/3rds cuts into there slice of the cake they will try to counteract it, and not by reducing there range of cameras . We will have to remember this conversation for a later date if I'm still around ;)
« Last Edit: September 06, 2009, 09:58:13 AM by Oly Paul »
Regards Paul
One day I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am.

http://www.pbase.com/paulsilkphotography

Offline anglefire

« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2009, 09:16:48 AM »
Well, true, never say never - Nikon didn't see the need and had no intention of going full frame a couple of years ago!!
Mark

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Offline greypoint

« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2009, 12:03:04 PM »
If they could come up with a semi-pro standard ultra small DSLR - metal body, weather proofing, good fps,fast accurate af, optical viewfinder etc.etc. - and a range of good quality [weatherproof] small lenses, including long range telephoto, to match I'd be first in line.

Offline anglefire

« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2009, 01:32:38 PM »
I must admit, I'm not a small is better person!

I carry my 5D when I go to site at work - as it fits in my laptop bag easier than the MkIII - which I have to take the lens off to get in.

My 350D now feels too small - even with its grip on. So any thing smaller would be no use at all. But thats me! YMMV
Mark

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Offline Malcolm1938

« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2009, 06:34:16 PM »
Well Panasonic have launched the  Lumix DCM-GF1 which appears to out Pen the Pen (full details in this weeks AP)

The price is a little lower than the Olympus but it more than the G1 which has the advantage of a good viewfinder and comes with a lens....

Now we await the Samsung model with it's APS sensor - I'm expecting that to hot up the price war for this type of camera....

FKA CannOffice
Too old to die young
Every day is a good day - if you wake up....

My Gallery

latest Posts

Subject Board Views/Replies Member Date & Time
xx POLL - Song Title International Weekly Comp Entries 263/5 Jediboy Last post September 16, 2019, 10:49:12 AM
xx SMALL - CHAT THREAD 16-22nd September `19 International Weekly Comp Entries 34/0 jinky Last post September 16, 2019, 10:00:15 AM
xx SMALL - ENTRY THREAD 16-22nd September `19 International Weekly Comp Entries 53/0 jinky Last post September 16, 2019, 09:59:37 AM
xx Heron Wildlife Photography 117/4 anglefire Last post September 16, 2019, 07:17:49 AM
xx Song Title CHAT thread 1st-8th September `19 International Weekly Comp Entries 855/36 jinky Last post September 13, 2019, 03:02:01 PM
xx Song Title ENTRY thread 1st-8th September `19 International Weekly Comp Entries 173/4 Jediboy Last post September 09, 2019, 03:08:08 PM
xx Poll - Days out - 18th-25th August 2019 International Weekly Comp Entries 326/7 Hinfrance Last post September 08, 2019, 07:17:09 AM
xx Windows 10 19H1 is heading your way. PC computer questions, tips and how to's 2827/35 Mick Last post September 07, 2019, 02:45:08 PM