Canon EF L IS USM 500 f/4...Horizons PollHorizons ENTRIES 27/07...What annoyed you today?STREET-ENTRIES-Weekly Com...STREET-CHAT-Weekly Comp 1...POLL for TIME OUTTIME OUT. Chat thread wee...TIME OUT. Entry thread w...Horizons CHAT thread 2...POLL -NUMBERS and / or LE...NUMBERS and / or LETTERS ...POLL Happiness is.......Nice houseHappiness is.... Entry Th...Happiness is.... Chat Thr...

Author Topic: A new challenge  (Read 8259 times)

Offline spikeyjen

A new challenge
« on: April 16, 2015, 12:23:35 AM »
I'm wondering if anyone is interested in starting up a new monthly challenge
There are some AMAZING photographers on the site, but I'm sure that there are some photographers who would like some help, maybe to get started, maybe to learn a new skill or maybe to learn something new about their camera.

I'm proposing that we have a monthly technique challenge (Monthly Tech Challenge).
Here are my ideas:

- Someone puts up a new technique (blur, bokeh, forced perspective, low light, shallow depth of field, the list is endless).
- In the challenge is some links to tutorials, you tube videos or just some advice
- Participants are invited to learn something new by reading tutorials, watching videos and asking questions, and post an image based on the theme within a time frame
- We can have a chat thread where people can ask questions, post images for comment etc as well as a competition thread for your fav image based on the theme
- we can run a poll for a peoples choice
- the winner, or someone who volunteers can post the next challenge

Let me know what you think and maybe some topics of things you might like to learn (ie I'd like to learn how people get starbursts from street lights).

If we have enough interest I'm happy to get the ball rolling (but it will start when I return home (early Mary)

Offline Oldboy

Re: A new challenge
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2015, 09:13:36 AM »
If we have enough interest I'm happy to get the ball rolling (but it will start when I return home (early Mary)

When is early Mary? Is it after silly Jen?  :-[ :2funny:

Offline jinky

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2015, 09:30:30 AM »
Yes I`d have a go - be it April, Mary, June or Julie. Hell Augusta wouldn`t be too late   ;)

Offline DigiDiva

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2015, 01:46:08 PM »
Well, hoorah for this idea. I have been wanting to start this for a long time now but was worried others might not be interested. A few of us used to belong to another forum which suddenly closed its doors without warning and I had started a monthly theme on there. It too was 'technique' related rather than theme related and we learned things like colour popping, panning, motion blur, night photography, high key & low key.

Go girl - lets get it started. How about from 1 May?
Please visit my website @ www.sunderlandwallart.com

Offline spikeyjen

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2015, 02:27:00 PM »

When is early Mary? Is it after silly Jen?  :-[ :2funny:

8)

Can't start 1st May as I only get home on 29 AVRIL (!) but will start af few days after.
cheers for now
sillyjen (should change my forum name to this)

Online Jediboy

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2015, 05:10:01 PM »
Great idea.
May the Force be with you.

Chris

Offline David Blandford

• David Blandford Photography
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2015, 05:29:30 PM »
As a Newbie I think its a great idea !
still trying to paint with light!!

Offline spikeyjen

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2015, 09:44:25 AM »
OK, a new monthly challenge will go live tomorrow morning (my time)

Offline DigiDiva

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2015, 12:06:17 PM »
Would it not be better setting it from the 1st of the month? Easier to remember closure dates etc

Offline Reinardina

• Still trying to master photography.
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2015, 12:27:43 PM »
You could still put it up now, and start officially on the first of June.

This extra long introduction time, could be used to get used to the idea, to ask questions, to suggest changes etc.

Beauty is bought by judgment of the eye.
Shakespeare. (Love's Labours Lost.)

Offline ABERS

• Black and White Images by Alan Abercrombie
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2015, 12:39:05 PM »
With the advent of yet another competition, would it not be a good idea to dispose of the Shout Box and use that side of the forum page solely for those half a dozen or so that are interested in that type of activity. That would mean that all matters pertaining to competitions would be held in one place and not bury those posts that are usually made for photography purposes, e.g. News, Exhibitions etc.

Just a thought.

Offline DigiDiva

« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2015, 01:50:26 PM »
You really dislike any reference to comps Abers. Is there any particular reason why?

Offline Reinardina

• Still trying to master photography.
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2015, 02:42:09 PM »
I think it would be a good idea, to have a separate space for competitions.

As ABERS says, there are a limited number of members interested in the competitions, but the many competition related posts, do indeed bury other threads.

Beauty is bought by judgment of the eye.
Shakespeare. (Love's Labours Lost.)

Offline ABERS

• Black and White Images by Alan Abercrombie
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2015, 04:55:11 PM »
You really dislike any reference to comps Abers. Is there any particular reason why?

Because I make a suggestion about forum and it happens to concern competitions doesn't' mean I dislike them. I enter several each year, but those comps are usually of the open variety and are entered by between 50 and 3000 photographers.

During the past 12 months I've been awarded 6 trophies and three medals and have acceptances in 7 National and International Exhibitions.

Having conditions or themes imposed doesn't float my boat. I have said this many times on the Forum.

As to competition helping improve your photography that's a myth. If you can't teach yourself to think and learn various techniques or find out how to under your own steam, sell your camera.

Next time I make a suggestion that I think will help improve the layout of the forum forum I'll check with you first.

Offline DigiDiva

« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2015, 05:09:14 PM »
But the comps do have their own area. It no longer has stuff on main page. We no longer tout for votes in the shout box and the comp area is one small section amongst many. Whats wrong with where it is? Its in a section purely for competitions.if people arent interested they dont need to enter the area. After all I dont smoke so choose not to frequent the smoking bubble at work. Isnt this the same?

latest Posts

Subject Board Views/Replies Member Date & Time
xx Canon EF L IS USM 500 f/4 for sale Lenses 203/6 anglefire Last post August 05, 2020, 07:48:42 AM
xx Horizons Poll International Weekly Comp Entries 75/0 jinky Last post August 04, 2020, 10:13:43 AM
xx Horizons ENTRIES 27/07 - 02/08/20 International Weekly Comp Entries 233/5 Oldboy Last post August 03, 2020, 10:25:12 PM
xx What annoyed you today? General Discussion 636053/3972 Jediboy Last post August 03, 2020, 02:13:31 PM
question STREET-ENTRIES-Weekly Comp 1/8-9/8/2020 International Weekly Comp Entries 56/0 Hinfrance Last post August 01, 2020, 04:09:00 PM
smiley STREET-CHAT-Weekly Comp 1/8-9/8/2020 International Weekly Comp Entries 41/0 Hinfrance Last post August 01, 2020, 04:05:33 PM
xx POLL for TIME OUT International Weekly Comp Entries 195/3 Hinfrance Last post August 01, 2020, 01:04:50 PM
xx TIME OUT. Chat thread weekly comp. International Weekly Comp Entries 235/4 Jediboy Last post July 27, 2020, 11:31:15 PM