Canon EF L IS USM 500 f/4...Horizons PollHorizons ENTRIES 27/07...What annoyed you today?STREET-ENTRIES-Weekly Com...STREET-CHAT-Weekly Comp 1...POLL for TIME OUTTIME OUT. Chat thread wee...TIME OUT. Entry thread w...Horizons CHAT thread 2...POLL -NUMBERS and / or LE...NUMBERS and / or LETTERS ...POLL Happiness is.......Nice houseHappiness is.... Entry Th...Happiness is.... Chat Thr...

Poll

Vote for your favourite meeting the brief

Musher Dog

1 (5.9%)
Dying Cockroach

0 (0%)
Timmy Wolf

3 (17.6%)
Scarface

1 (5.9%)
Molly

0 (0%)
Surf`s Up

0 (0%)
Faithful Companion

0 (0%)
Mooncat

8 (47.1%)
Daisy

3 (17.6%)
Double Act

1 (5.9%)

Total Members Voted: 17

Voting closed: March 14, 2015, 06:28:16 AM

Author Topic: Poll for Cats and Dogs  (Read 3583 times)

Offline jinky

Poll for Cats and Dogs
« on: March 10, 2015, 06:28:16 AM »
Get voting folks. Nice to see a few more entries.

Offline Reinardina

• Still trying to master photography.
Re: Poll for Cats and Dogs
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2015, 09:45:40 AM »
It's a long time, since we had such a diversity of wonderful images. Difficult choice!

Beauty is bought by judgment of the eye.
Shakespeare. (Love's Labours Lost.)

Offline DigiDiva

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2015, 12:17:08 PM »
I agree and they voting is well spread too
Please visit my website @ www.sunderlandwallart.com

Offline Graham

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2015, 04:32:56 PM »
 I had to flip a coin between two.
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. 

My Gallery
My Flickr Pics

Offline Reinardina

• Still trying to master photography.
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2015, 05:14:53 PM »
That's good. Will you tell, when the poll is closed, who won the toss, and between which images you had to choose?

Beauty is bought by judgment of the eye.
Shakespeare. (Love's Labours Lost.)

Offline jinky

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2015, 06:12:33 PM »
I could have gone another way to vote with a few slight alterations to shots. Nice to see numbers up. Got to try and get a weather shot. Boring blue skies here but cannot complain.

Offline Graham

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2015, 10:30:35 AM »
That's good. Will you tell, when the poll is closed, who won the toss, and between which images you had to choose?

I will.  :)

My Gallery
My Flickr Pics

Offline spikeyjen

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2015, 10:06:57 PM »
mmm, I think its a runaway for the unhelpful cat on the hot tin roof!

Offline jinky

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2015, 06:58:30 AM »
Up early as I have a full on day today with 2 parties to get to with a few miles between them! I see I have won somehow - thanks to your votes  ;).
Surprise for me really as the shot was rushed and less than I was hoping for - a combination of little time and using the first (wrong ) lens to hand on a back up camera I was testing out again for it`s focus and higher ISO use that led to grainy images and the need to merge 3 shots in the end. Even the merger was poor I felt - hence my initial decision to replace the shot with another grabbed in the same way! Like Ogga I preferred my original despite it`s failings and went back to it regardless as I`d liked the idea I`d had in my head. I noticed that it did not have many views in the gallery (and neither did many of the other entries) showing that few had looked in greater detail at the slightly bigger size to see my shortcomings and I got away with it  ;).

As I`m awake with time to kill just now a few comments on others which I hope you won`t mind and yes I too failed to look at some of them in larger size!
My vote went to Daisy as it was such a sweet capture of a lovely cat in nice muted colours with great eyes. Might have gone a little lower and got the full set of whiskers in but nice uncluttered background that worked for me.

I said there might have been others I might have voted for and close for me were H`s Scarface - lovely shot of a handsome cat despite what H says  :). Better lower angle that nearly got all the whiskers and a close 2nd for me.
Timmy Wold and Musher Dog were next for me and might have got my vote  with a bit of a crop on them. With Timmy I`d have cropped above his legs to focus on that sweet head and shoulders look, maybe not looking down so much and with Mosher I would have cropped to a square format with the chain bottom left corner leading into the dog head. Both gorgeous dogs nicely caught though.
faithful companion was a nice twist but with a messy background for me and the dying cockroach again needed a crop and full body capture - I`m guessing he/ she might have been rolling too much to get right in frame. You needed him to keep as still as ogga`s Faithful Companion  :). Surf`s Up was nice too - just a shamethe dog is mouth closed and not splashing his head about more to make it more effective but you get what you can.

Molly and Double Act were nice captures but I was put off by the distracting grass blades and side on capture of Molly and again the looking down emphasis on Double Act.

Hope you don`t mind my observations which of course are only my perspectives - you had your own reasons for capturing them as you did and these comments only serve to explain why I voted as I did. Nice to see entry / voting numbers up to give us a wide choice and again thanks for the votes. I`ve already posted the next theme which can be captured from now - how keen is that! I`ve still got to get a weather shot yet.

Offline Hinfrance

• Global Moderator
  • Cake is good
    • Hinfrance
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2015, 07:33:38 AM »
Congrats Paul.

Thank you whoever voted for Milo Scarface. He's so useless he can't even win a weekly challenge . .  :'(

My vote went to Timmy Wolf, just pipping Musher. It was eye contact that made me look at those two ahead of the rest, but the "large" version of Musher was too small.  I didn't go for Paul's - if I am honest I would have put that last because it is (by Paul's own admission) quite ropey, and not a picture of a cat or dog, it's a picture that has a cat silhouette in it, and to my mind whatever its qualities it did not fit the brief. Could have been a cat, could have been a cardboard cut-out . .

Daisy has a lovely pastel palette, but she is looking out of frame.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

Offline Graham

« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2015, 07:56:47 AM »
The coin flip was between Mooncat and Daisy. And to reinforce how close they were, I can't remember which won!

My Gallery
My Flickr Pics

Offline Beaux Reflets

• Global Moderator
  • Commonsense answers a whole load of the unanswered
    • Beaux Reflets
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2015, 08:41:12 AM »
Congratulations Paul. Thank you to Howard and the others who voted for my daughter's Wolf!  :tup: :beer:
:beer: Andy

"Light anchors things in place and gives perspective meaning."

The choices we make are rooted in reflection.

http://beauxreflets.blogspot.com/

Offline DigiDiva

« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2015, 01:49:09 PM »
Well done Paul. I really liked this one from the start. Thanks to those who voted for Daisy.  She is so sweet and as a pet she is puuuuuurrrrrfect!
Please visit my website @ www.sunderlandwallart.com

Offline oggalily

« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2015, 04:13:47 PM »
Good selection of images this week.  Glad I talked you back into your origin image Jinky, I knew it was a winner. 

As for my own "faithful companion", I am a little disappointed not to get any votes for an unorthodox take on the subject but I suspect based n Jinky's comments that I didn't get my message across clearly enough.  The idea was supposed to be that he had been abandoned in the attic, however the attic clutter maybe didn't work as intended and just looked like a messy background.  I'd appreciate any comments/feedback on what I might have done differently.  Or maybe people didn't think it fit the brief due to not having a real animal in it?

I've already got an image in the can for "weather", just need to tweak it in Lightroom.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2015, 04:15:33 PM by oggalily »

Offline Beaux Reflets

• Global Moderator
  • Commonsense answers a whole load of the unanswered
    • Beaux Reflets
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2015, 05:22:49 PM »
Good selection of images this week.  Glad I talked you back into your origin image Jinky, I knew it was a winner. 

As for my own "faithful companion", I am a little disappointed not to get any votes for an unorthodox take on the subject but I suspect based n Jinky's comments that I didn't get my message across clearly enough.  The idea was supposed to be that he had been abandoned in the attic, however the attic clutter maybe didn't work as intended and just looked like a messy background.  I'd appreciate any comments/feedback on what I might have done differently.  Or maybe people didn't think it fit the brief due to not having a real animal in it?

I've already got an image in the can for "weather", just need to tweak it in Lightroom.

Chris, I think the only thing that stopped me casting a vote your way was the light cream area of attic clutter behind the dog which  draws the eye from the wee dog. The overall lighting is good  :tup:
:beer: Andy

"Light anchors things in place and gives perspective meaning."

The choices we make are rooted in reflection.

http://beauxreflets.blogspot.com/

latest Posts

Subject Board Views/Replies Member Date & Time
xx Canon EF L IS USM 500 f/4 for sale Lenses 203/6 anglefire Last post August 05, 2020, 07:48:42 AM
xx Horizons Poll International Weekly Comp Entries 72/0 jinky Last post August 04, 2020, 10:13:43 AM
xx Horizons ENTRIES 27/07 - 02/08/20 International Weekly Comp Entries 233/5 Oldboy Last post August 03, 2020, 10:25:12 PM
xx What annoyed you today? General Discussion 636044/3972 Jediboy Last post August 03, 2020, 02:13:31 PM
question STREET-ENTRIES-Weekly Comp 1/8-9/8/2020 International Weekly Comp Entries 55/0 Hinfrance Last post August 01, 2020, 04:09:00 PM
smiley STREET-CHAT-Weekly Comp 1/8-9/8/2020 International Weekly Comp Entries 41/0 Hinfrance Last post August 01, 2020, 04:05:33 PM
xx POLL for TIME OUT International Weekly Comp Entries 194/3 Hinfrance Last post August 01, 2020, 01:04:50 PM
xx TIME OUT. Chat thread weekly comp. International Weekly Comp Entries 235/4 Jediboy Last post July 27, 2020, 11:31:15 PM